How to cope with a dead pixel?

KenG10

Gawd
Darn, brand new Samsung 22" LCD and it has one bad pixel. We all know newegg's position on this matter, and Samsung is the same. So, it looks like I will have to deal with it then, eh? I know that the only time I will ever see it, is if I try real hard and it is on a white background. I'll never notice it while gaming. But....I know its there. Its like that tiny dent I had in my brand new car 4 years ago: you can only see if if you look at the right angle.

So, how do you guys cope with your LCD's 1 dead pixel? Does he keep you up at night? Can you hear him calling to you? "Hey!! I'm down here near the power button! Come play with me!!" Or, do you just ignore him and enjoy the other 1,763,999 pixels?:(

i have a one dead pixel on my screen too. it's been with me for over a year now. i know it's there, but i just don't see it. so it doesn't bother me.

Fortunately I never had to deal with a dead pixel on any of my three LCD monitors. The oldest being from 2002.

I don't, I returned my 2209WA largely due to one stuck pixel.

Good think Dell has an awesome return policy.

So, how do you guys cope with your LCD's 1 dead pixel?
I learn to Ignore it real fast. But honestly it probably depends on how noticeable it is, and whether it's a stuck or dead pixel, the color of the stuck pixel can make a big difference too.

Have you tried dead pixel buddy yet?

So, how do you guys cope with your LCD's 1 dead pixel? Does he keep you up at night? Can you hear him calling to you? "Hey!! I'm down here near the power button! Come play with me!!" Or, do you just ignore him and enjoy the other 1,763,999 pixels?:(

That's hilarious. Just deal with it... that's life. Surely not the worst thing that can happen. Enjoy the monitor and you won't even notice it.

Probably would have been willing to live with one or two near the edge I suppose, but generally I try to buy locally to facilitate an easy return...

(Hope you do mean dead and not stuck on...)

After a long gaming session last night, I think I might be ok. Fortunately, the dead (not stuck) pixel is maybe only .25" from the bottom of the screen and not smack dab in the middle.

Hey, do you think newegg will let me exchange it for "large amounts of back light bleed"? Its there and it really affects the image on the top and bottom of the screen. Black is almost a gray down there. I dont see anything about a "backlight bleed return policy" :p

They might, but with only 1 dead pixel in the bottom corner is pretty good, you might end up perpetually playing the 'no-dead pixel' screen search game :D

Yeah, I can see it now. I exchange for bleed and end up with a monitor with 2 dead pixels!!!:eek:

I have always bought LCD's locally just to avoid this dead pixel crap..

I sure hope newegg handles it for you though.

I dont know whether to deal with it, or call just to see what they will do. Maybe that combined with the "excessive" amount of bleed will be enough? :rolleyes:

It took me a lot longer to get used to the (horizontal) wires on my aperture grill CRT than it did the one dead pixel on one of my 20WMGX2s. :p

How to cope with a dead pixel?

You said it's 0.25" from the bottom edge. That's okay in my book. I just RMA'd two NECs back to back due to issues within 2" of center. (Which ironically, is the most expensive LCD I've ever bought to date, and it's the first brand-new panel I've ever had with blobs/dead pixels, much less 2 in a row!)

I have another generic [4- year old] CTX LCD with like 40 dead (on and off!) pixels in the very upper right corner. Looks like a 16x16 block went crazy [after 4 years]. It's in the corner, and I don't even notice it really.

It's all about where the defect is, as far as I'm concerned.

It took me a lot longer to get used to the (horizontal) wires on my aperture grill CRT than it did the one dead pixel on one of my 20WMGX2s. :p

My Iiyama CRT had that, but those are there by design. Unwanted, but unavoidable. Just like grey blacks are unwanted, but unavoidable with LCD technology.

I dont know whether to deal with it, or call just to see what they will do. Maybe that combined with the "excessive" amount of bleed will be enough? :rolleyes:

Depends on how important it is for your purposes. A phone call couldn't hurt.

I have special glasses I wear for one of my monitors with dead pixel, i took a sharpie and put a dot where the dead pixel would appear to be, and now when I notice something instead of being annoyed by the dead pixel i think "i wish i wouldn't have dropped that sharpie on my nice glasses"

I've got 1 dead pixel on my original 2209WA monitor.. after trying to get 2 replacements... I've found that I'd rather have a monitor with 1 dead pixel and everything else be perfect. The first replacement had some bad tinting and backlight bleed. The 2nd replacement had 3 stuck/dead pixels.

Once you get past being a... well, something.. it's pretty easy to like a monitor :D... or it may just be that this is my first ISP panel and it's brilliant compared to the past panels I have.

I'm really enjoying it.

Well, I found a few more pixels now. Plus I have this excessive bleed on bottom of the screen, which extends up about 2". Its really noticible in dark scenes. I'm sure the monitor is just fine for your typical user.....BUT I just called newegg and they are going to exchange it for me. :p

crosses fingers for less bleed + no busted pixels. Watch the new one will be worse. :(

What if your next LCD has even worse backlight bleed and 5 dead pixels? With LCDs, its about luck.

Back