How to cool a naked Haswell

sirgallium

Limp Gawd
So I delidded my chip. Now the motherboard clamp won't clamp enough into the pins without the extra thickness. So I just set it back on top for now with no glue and it works.

The heatsink can't really tighten down far enough to hold it down enough either and I'm not even sure if it's the best idea to put that much force through the die.

If I had spacers to go under the edges of the clamp then the heatsink wouldn't fit down low enough in the middle.

You mean like he did with the Kaby Lake? My cooler only has 2 screws holding it down I don't think it can press hard enough to seat into the pins.

I guess I would have to get a 4 screw cooler to hold it down good enough. But that puts a lot of pressure on the die.

I might have to make shims to fit under the clamp so that it presses down enough, and then use my angle grinder to cut away the edges of the cooler so that the clamp doesn't block it from the die.

Last edited:
You mean like he did with the Kaby Lake? My cooler only has 2 screws holding it down I don't think it can press hard enough to seat into the pins.

I guess I would have to get a 4 screw cooler to hold it down good enough. But that puts a lot of pressure on the die.

I might have to make shims to fit under the clamp so that it presses down enough, and then use my angle grinder to cut away the edges of the cooler so that the clamp doesn't block it from the die.
Well, depends on the cooler you use. You should be able to modify the cooler mount in such a way, that the cooler sits a bit lower than usual - lower by the thickness lost when you removed the IHS. Depending on the mounting type you may be able to use bolts and washers - hard to offer anything without knowing what cooler you use.
Usually, though, you need to remove the cpu retention bracket that comes on the motherboard for the cooler to make contact with the cpu die. That means that the only thing keeping the cpu in the socket is the cooler.

I'm starting to think it's not really worth it for just 3 more degrees. I just should order some of that liquid metal stuff and claim my 20 degree drop :)

Back