How to convert an existing Unraid setup into a 3 VM environment

L3nn0x

n00b
I have an Unraid server currently setup thats running on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz with 6gb of ram. I'm using a USB drive to operate Unraid currently.

What I am looking to do is convert this into a 3 VM setup running pfSense, Unraid, and Ubuntu for Plex/Sickbeard/CouchPotato stuff. I'm struggling to wrap my head around how to set up this environment without losing my Unraid setup. Could I just introduce another hard drive to run the VM implementations and then do I reference my existing USB drive or copy its contents to the VM partition designated for it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

When I condensed my computers in to one tower and ran either with ESXi 5.0, I did the same approach you are wanting.

For unRAID, you have to have pass the USB that runs unRAID to the VM you are wanting to boot up, also, the best way to get your storage to unRAID is to have a RAID card so that it can be passed to unRAID to manage it.

This way, the USB and all the storage are seen under unRAID and ESXi won't try to manage or tweak anything in the VM.

Then just create your pfSense and Ubuntu for the other jobs and you should be all set.

Back