how to control fan speed with SpeedFan??

rfadream

Limp Gawd
can someone explain as simply as possible how to alter the speed of a fan connected to a motherboard using speedfan?

i have exactly 1x 120mm fan on my scythe ninja connected to my motherboard.

speedfan reports it as "CPU0 FAN: 1156 rpm"

can anyone explain how to get that value down to say 800 rpm?

i've searched and tried everything i can find in the configure menu but haven't been able to find anything that works.

btw i have a asus p5b deluxe wifi + e6400 + windows xp

Before starting, if you are using speedfan to control an important temp, make sure that it loads with windows. The way you configure fan speeds in speed fan, assuming your mobo supports it, is as follows:

1. Disable any on-board fan control (Asus Q-Fan) in bios. Note: This will cause your fan to spin at 100% until the system boots and speedfan loads, which can be really annoying is you have a really powerful fan like I do.

2. In speedfan, under the button marked "Configure", check the box for "Automatically control fan speeds"

3. Click the "Configure" button. This will bring up the temperature tab. For each temperature, you can click the + sign and show a list of fans. Clear all of the checks next to each fan for each temperature. This step is probably the most tedious part if you have alot of temps.

4. Choose the temp you want speedfan to maintain, and select the fan you want it to control by checking the box next to the fan under that temp's pull down menu.

5. Now click on the temperature itself, and on the bottom of the screen you can select the desired temp and the warning temp. The desired temp is the temp at which speedfan will increase the fan speed if the temp goes above it. The warning temp is the temp at which speedfan will adjust the fan to 100%.

6. Click the "Speeds" tab up on top. Now select the fan you chose before. Set the minimum and maximum speeds. The minimum speed is the speed it will run whenever your temp is below the desired temp, and the maximum speed is the speed that the fan will run when your temp is between "desired" and "warning". Your fan will run at 100% when its over "warning".

7 Close the configure window and wait. It takes like 5 seconds for speedfan to apply those settings. You fan should slow down to its minimum speed now (or faster depending on your temp).

For example, I have a quad core, and I set my desired temp at 40c and my warning at 50c. My fan runs at 5% most of the time, 50% when above 40c (usually during heavy encoding), and it hasn't ever hit 100% yet. I'm on water though, and I use speedfan to control my rad fan.

Important note: Even though the OP doesn't have a quad core, it's important that if anybody who is reading this has a quad core, they adjust the temperature offset in the configuration. Speedfan cannot properly read quad temps, and is off by a set # of degrees. For me, it was 15 degrees. But you just need to set the offset and you're good.

Well, that post was a waste of time. This would have been quicker- http://unitstep.net/blog/2007/11/02/using-speedfan-to-automatically-control-your-pcs-fan-speeds/, lol! At least it made it sound like I was working in my cubicle.

I forgot to mention, if you just want to set your fan to a set rpm, like 800 or so, you don't have to tie it to a temperature. You can just set the fan speed (you still have to unclick the fan from all the temps though) and speedfan will always keep it there.

Back