How to connect video game consoles to HTPC

Smitty2k1

Gawd
Are there component video to VGA or DVI adapters/cables out there or do I need a transcoder? I am trying to connect a PS2 with component video to the VGA or DVI input on my Hyundai L90D+ 19" screen.

Wow, thanks. That looks perfect.

So my plan is to get rid of my SDTV and run everything through my 19" LCD computer monitor... is the inage quality of movies and PS2 games going to be better than on the SDTV? How about cable tv, would it look any better on the monitor?

Thanks for helping a noobie college student out.

game sand movies should look better, can't really say that cable swill ook better. it will look OK, but the higher resolution of the LCD willprobably just show you the crappy signal that cable is.

the channels that are digital won't be too bad, but remember, only the upper add on channels are digital. the lower channels are still analog.

I see on the website that most PS2 games are not 480p and only 480i and therefore will not work. I have a newever Slim PS2 and it has a progressive scan option. If I enable this will it allow me to use the X2VGA2 for DVDs and non 480p games? I have a Hyundai L90D+ 19" monitor, can it display 480i? If it can, will I be able to use the X2VGA2 to play DVDs and games?

Most games are coded for an interlace display, hence the "480i" part, DVDs are interlaced as well, all a progressive DVD player does is deinterlace the video making it "480p."

From what I understand all the X2VGA does is allow you to use your PC moniter for a display device for your consoles, it's not doing anything to the inputed video. So it doesn't really matter and no deinterlacing is going to occur.

Why would you care about using it as a DVD player? Do you not have a DVD drive in the PC?

Back