How to connect PC to Receiver

DeViLdUdE

Gawd
I tried hooking up my PC sound to a Marantz sr4002 receiver by connecting the Digital Out (3.5mm) to the Opt In of the receiver (Toslink cable with a 3.5mm converter for the Audigy 2 ZS dig out).. I just want to know what im missing there? What config my receiver should be and all that stuff?.. Appreciate all your help.. (i havent tried analog yet but im not sure if the ZS have one)..

Tutorial links would be fine too..

Last edited:
What kind of PC? On board sound, or sound card? I have a Gateway FX6800 that says one of the 3.5mm onboards is an optical out, and it is not, at least not on that version. Whne you plug in the optical cable, is there a red light coming out of teh other side?

Make sure your receiver is on the right input, and that it is set to optical. Not sure about Marantz, but my Onkyo can have two different inputs analog/digital to the same channel. And also make sure that in your control panel in sounds that you are set for optical out.

also what audio codec are you using? if you are using AC3 be sure it is configured to pass audio through the digital output.

Thanks for the reply.. I'm using a sound card which is Audigy 2 ZS plat.. old guy serves well but needs to be upgraded.. I figured everything out that the card's digital output doesn't do optical like todays Audigy, I'm guessing... So now I'm just using 3.5 to RCA cable..

Now on the Marantz receiver though Im only getting stereo with a pass-through setup on the card, Is that normal? (I dont have speakers yet just using a Shure in-ear headphones)

Last question, how much power draw does receivers do when on?

Most sound cards only output in PCM Left & Right Stereo by default unless you have a Dolby Digital Live or DTS Live card. The closest to surround you are going to get with media not encoded in 5.1 is by either: a) turning on speaker fill or 5ch stereo on your reciever OR b) enabling virtual surround on your computer sound properties under enhancments and using a matrix decoder on your receiver such as Dolby ProLogic.

On the other hand if you have 5.1 content such as AC3 codec, you will need to download two programs AC3 Filter and Spdifer. These programs will properly passthrough Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams through your soundcard and into your receiver via Digital Optical or Digital Coaxial audio.

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter - AC3 Filter download and guide
http://ac3filter.net/projects/spdifer - Spdifer download and guide

Hope that helps

Back