How to connect my setup to a mobile hotspot?

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
The mobile hotspot would likely be a Verizon Jetpack, for example. (A shame these don't have ethernet ports on them)

I wouldn't mind having this option potentially as an "emergency backup" during any outages. It's definitely one of those "bonus ideas." ;)

What would it take?

Here is the setup:

Desktop PC 1 using Win 7 64 is connected via ethernet to the NETGEAR CM600 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 router.

Desktop PC 2 in another room is connected wirelessly via the NETGEAR AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter

Downstairs is mother's beloved Roku that operates on wireless connected to the router. It helps her sleep. What can I say? ;) (long story)

I've read up a bit and watched some videos and if I understand it correctly I would need to have a bridge added to this current setup for starters?

Where am I with this and what are my options? Thanks!

What is your budget?

For an inexpensive solution, you can try your luck with a Mikrotik and checking through their supported modems/hardware list.

Alternatively - if you want something that will just work and be reliable, check out Cradlepoint: https://cradlepoint.com/sites/default/files/upload-file/cba850-data-sheet-052017.pdf

If you don't want to use the integrated, then I would recommend going with the Verizon USB730L modem.

A less elegant, but functional solution (you may run into problems with this) would be to do exactly as you said - setup the hotspot (you would need something like the one you listed) and then have the wireless bridge connect to the broadcasted SSID from the modem, then wire a client to the bridge. Something like a TP-Link Range Extender should work: http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5508_RE380D.html

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
If you don't want to use the integrated, then I would recommend going with the Verizon USB730L modem.

This appears to be the cleanest and most elegant solution. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

If I gather correctly, there is no way to get one of these to play with a router or any like device so I would have to buy one for each device that I would want to use the mobile network?

Are you just jogging an idea to just get Verizon 4G/LTE as a failback internet for the house?

like this
Are you just jogging an idea to just get Verizon 4G/LTE as a failback internet for the house?

Yes. It's a bonus idea. ;)

It would more than likely happen along with finally getting a smartphone.

If that's all you're looking to do, then the Cradlepoint does exactly that. It's a router that you can use 4G/LTE as a failover mechanism - you can either use the built-in or use the USB730L. Check out the datasheet.

like this
If that's all you're looking to do, then the Cradlepoint does exactly that. It's a router that you can use 4G/LTE as a failover mechanism - you can either use the built-in or use the USB730L. Check out the datasheet.

It looks good. Dare I ask what it costs, ballpark? ;)

Back