how to connect an x-fi to a receiver + sub?

stag3

Limp Gawd
Ok i'm tired of this stupid klipsch ultra 5.1 system. but i do want to re use the satellites (l/r front, l/r rear, center )

can i just buy something like this 5.1 receiver http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+...iver/9785037.p?id=1218173778853&skuId=9785037

i see everyone recommends dayton subs from parts express.

what cables do i need to do this? it will need to be thru the analog as i want 5.1 gaming.
i figure i will need 5 3.5mini to rca cables correct? (i've read you only need 3, but i'm using 5 now ? ) what else will i need cable wise?
if anyone who has done this can link me, it would be appreciated.

thanks!

Most cheaper receivers will not take multi-channel analogue connections. The one you linked to will not. So you have three choices:

1) Purchase the DTS Connect pack from Creative (costs about $5) and encode the signal using DTS or Dolby Digital. It will generate a compressed 5.1 signal in realtime and send it out via S/PDIF to your receiver.

2) Purchase an HDMI soundcard (if you want an X-Fi the HomeTheater HD is your only option) and connect it via HDMI to the receiver. This will give you 5.1 or 7.1 at your option uncompressed to the receiver.

3) Purchase a higher dollar receiver, with a multi-channel analogue input. In the case of Denon their cheapest receiver that supports this is the AVR-1910 which is about $400. For Yamaha I don't know where they start having support.

Oddly enough, the previous gen of that Yamaha receiver, the RX-365, actually has 6 channel direct input. It goes for $219 delivered on Amazon.

2) Purchase an HDMI soundcard (if you want an X-Fi the HomeTheater HD is your only option) and connect it via HDMI to the receiver. This will give you 5.1 or 7.1 at your option uncompressed to the receiver.

According to his sig, he already has one ;)

It has 8 channel LPCM and Dolby TrueHD/DTS-Master bitstreaming ^^

Oddly enough, the previous gen of that Yamaha receiver, the RX-365, actually has 6 channel direct input. It goes for $219 delivered on Amazon.

It is going away because people don't make much use of it anymore. Basically, when a receiver is low cost, you gotta chose what to spend money on. Only so much you can pack in to a receiver and still meet a $200ish street price. Well, these days consumers would rather have more HDMI ports, Dolby TrueHD decoding (each decoder costs license fees) and so on. Something has to give, and that is less used inputs like the multi-channel in.

They keep them on more expensive units, of course, because the cost isn't such an issue and part of what you are paying for is the ability to hook up everything. If you look at really high end units, you'll see they have more inputs than anyone could realistically need. They just want to make sure that no matter what input you do need, you have it. You expect that for $5000. For $200? Well they'll pack in what the think most people want.

According to his sig, he already has one

The fatality? No it won't, no HDMI. I suppose he could use his Radeon, though I've had bad luck with it in terms of sound output.

don't know a thing about home audio but will this work? this is the yamaha astralite recommended

http://seattlecontent.s3.amazonaws.com/YAMH9/09/08/RX-V365/rxv365bl_back_large.jpg

its 199
so if im looking at this, i would be connecting the speakers to the red/black connectors under "speakers"

and under multi ch input,
i'd connect the front/back from the x-fi using a 3.5 to rca cable (so that's 2) http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2
then i'd need a 3.5 to rca plug "center" no idea where to find this cable? don't see it on monoprice
and a woofer connector to "subwoofer" and that's it? what cable would this be?

OR is it easier for me to just buy this http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Blaster-Home-Theater-Cable/dp/B0029ZA7T8

in regards to the woofer, is there a way to use the klipsch one? and just buy an amp? if so, recommendations?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
don't think there really is a budget, i mean i obviously don't want to spend a grand on a sub and receiver + cables. 500-600 for both is certainly fine.

which cables do i need for the center chanel and sub?

Is there a Standard 5.1 version of this cable that will work with my onboard audio?

from what ive read about the x-fi
that's the ONLY cable but it will work with everything, kinda an all in one cable.

Plain ol' speaker wire for the center, I use Monoprice for mine.

For the sub, use a cable similar to this (Also what I use). You shouldn't need more than 12ft, but longer sizes are available.

For $359, the Ultra 12 is an excellent choice, free shipping too.

i can use speaker wire from center channel to receiver
what i mean was from 3.5 center channel on x-fi to receiver what do i use?

Back