How to Connect an Oculus Rift to the VirtualLink Port on an NVIDIA GeForce RTX Series

cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to testing by Reddit users, the USB-C VirtualLink port on the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 can be used with the Oculus Rift VR headset. Reddit user TheDecn accomplished this by using Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to hook his Oculus Rift to the VirtualLink port on his RTX 2080. Another user needed help to get his to work, but it was a simple reinstall of the Nvidia drivers that fixed the issue. None of the users said that they experienced negative effects from using the connection.

Of course I and other VR enthusiasts that use the HDMI port on their video cards to connect to a Samsung 4K TV as a monitor have been using DisplayPort to HDMI adapters for years. I could see this as a solution for those that have multiple monitors using all the conventional connections or a home theater receiver plugged into the HDMI. I do wonder what else can we plug into it? A USB-C hub? Power a monitor? USB stick has already been tested and working as intended according to the Reddit thread.

So you just need to reinstall the latest driver package. If you did this before swapping to the new card, the USB-C driver will not have been installed since the port wasn't present in your previous card. After I swapped my 1070 for the 2080 I used GeForce Experience to do a full re-install of the driver and noticed the USB-C driver on the list. That's what gave me the idea to try this because I had assumed that port would not be enabled until later.

Ah, so that's what that USB-C port is for.

Some in the water cooling community were annoyed that because of it, these boards can no longer be made single slot when you add a water block.

Interesting to hear someone got it working so soon. Last couple of weeks some were speculating it could be at least a year for true driver or hardware support. Ironically reading thru the thread some were feeling inspired to try and use the same port to connect a monitor with a 2080TI.

Interesting to hear someone got it working so soon. Last couple of weeks some were speculating it could be at least a year for true driver or hardware support. Ironically reading thru the thread some were feeling inspired to try and use the same port to connect a monitor with a 2080TI.
Nothing really to get working. Basically what this open standard is there for is to allow a smaller plug in profile for the HMD makers to support down the road. Easier to do a less expensive HMDI to DP adapter at the moment. If you need the USB port, a $50 dongle will currently free that up as well.

I hadn't paid attention to that VirtualLink thing but if you can drive a wacom cintiq off it as an alternative to wacom's shitty link box then I would find it very useful.
Although as far as VR's concerned I'm waiting for my Vive wireless kit preorder because wires suck, even if there's only one of them.

I'm trying this one... https://www.amazon.com/Multiport-Converter-Charging-Compatible-ChromeBook/dp/B07DL29W4X for $20. I missed the 8% coupon when I ordered it last night. I'm not getting a new monitor until Christmas probably to support display port, so I'm using HDMI for my old 1080p monitor and need another hdmi for my Oculus Rift. I thought about a DisplayPort-to-DVI or vga adapter, but this is cheap if it works and then would be useful in the future to have another usb port and extra HDMI if I need it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
im waiting.... for my vive pro wireless setup so i dont have to swap between it and my regular monitor

I'm trying this one... https://www.amazon.com/Multiport-Converter-Charging-Compatible-ChromeBook/dp/B07DL29W4X for $20. I missed the 8% coupon when I ordered it last night. I'm not getting a new monitor until Christmas probably to support display port, so I'm using HDMI for my old 1080p monitor and need another hdmi for my Oculus Rift. I thought about a DisplayPort-to-DVI or vga adapter, but this is cheap if it works and then would be useful in the future to have another usb port and extra HDMI if I need it.

So, $20 gets you what you pay for I guess. It technically works, but the Oculus Rift would lose and regain connectivity, and then make me repeat the entire setup procedure over and over. I ended up getting a cheap DisplayPort to DVI cable for about $7 from Amazon for the monitor and using the HDMI for the Oculus Rift and now my VR is running great. No more banner saying I don't meet the minimum requirements! Yay!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back