how to connect a laptop with a desktop via crossover cable(cat 5)?

AKshay87

n00b
(the topic is a bit offbeat but moderators please dont junk this topic )

I am having problems trying to connect my lappie and my workstation for sharing files not internet.
my IPs are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask as 255.255.0.0 - the rest fields are blank.
I always create a new home connection whenever I try to connect them but somehow files dont transfer. it says network name not found.

all firewalls are down- turned the windows one OFF and for zonealarm allowed the connection into trusted zone

i am guessing the required services are not running. can anyone please help me?

they can ping each other and are in the same workgroup as created via the setup a home connection wizard.

what i do is

setup a home network connection > next > next > choose OTHER > THIS COMP DOESNOT HAVE INTERNET > name whatever > workgroup is akshay > turn on file sharing > next > then i run it o the other comp with same workgroup name

initially i see them from view workgroup computers but then after transfeerring a file incompletely it says the specified network name is not available and then i cant ping or anything

can you connect via ip address, not netbios name?

Do this:

From the .1 machine, in the run line: \\192.168.1.2

Does that connect?

Try restricting the network to a class c via the subnet mask(255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.0.0)

What is the default gateway for each machine?

Back