How to configure network with more than one router

mZimm

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have one router connected to my DSL modem in one room. I wanted to have wired internet in my room, so I sent a wire to my room through the attic so I could have a better connection and I don't have to deal with a wireless. However, now I want to be able to connect my Xbox to the LAN in my room as well, and I don't want to have to route another cable. Currently I have a Linksys BEFSR81 wired router connected to a wireless access point in the other room. I also have a Linksys WRT54GC router as well as a Netgear FVS318 sitting around that I could use. My question is, is it possible to connect one of those to the cable that is coming into my room and then send out the signal from that to my computer and the xbox and still be able to access the computers connected to the first router on the network? I have a network printer connected to the Linksys wired router, and currently I can connect to that, but if I throw in another router in the mix can I still do that? If so, how? If not, what are my other options?

If you configure your second router properly, it certainly is possible and likely to work. I would recommend simply getting a Switch which will just take one cable going into and give you more connections but a router will also work. When you set up your second router:

Connect the cord coming through your attack to one of the LAN ports on your router; not the WAN port. You will then have 3 other available ports to use (the WAN port which is what connects to the modem should always be left empty).

Go into the second routers settings and turn off DHCP... You should then be all set.

Back