How to configure ASUS BIOS to automatically boot from USB drive?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I wish I knew how to configure my ASUS AMD X570 Strix-E BIOS so that if I inserted a bootable USB drive, the system would automatically boot from that drive.:confused: Right now I have to go into the BIOS and select a Boot Override. I have RTFM, but I just don't see how to do what I want. I'm obviously missing something here. :notworthy:

This was true also for my previous daily drive, an Intel X79 Pro (I forget the exact model).

I think some boards you need to enable some option for that, not sure of the name. In any case, some boards you cannot if you have (ultra)fast boot enabled, because the USB controller isn't initialized yet -- that happens after the OS gains control.

Isn't there a one button boot menu (F8 or something). Instead of hitting DEL to get into Bios, you press the other key to get into the boot menu and it should just bring up a menu and allow you to select a boot device from the list of everything available.

if you set USB drive as first boot option and leave it like that it should.

I've never had that work if I removed the USB drive. It would default to the boot manager after that. Maybe I was missing something though.

I think some boards you need to enable some option for that, not sure of the name. In any case, some boards you cannot if you have (ultra)fast boot enabled, because the USB controller isn't initialized yet -- that happens after the OS gains control.
OK. I'll try disabling fast boot, etc.

Thanks.
I've never had that work if I removed the USB drive. It would default to the boot manager after that. Maybe I was missing something though.
kirbyrj

Yeah. That makes two of us (at least!) :wideyed:

Should be able to set disk drive priority to always have USB first vs boot drive...
May be something like this, the Hard Drive BBS priorities?

1651008444676.png

That's weird. Normally ASUS motherboards would try to boot to USB devices whether there was anything there or not. We actually bitched about that in reviews for over a decade on ASUS motherboards and it never changed.

Should be able to set disk drive priority to always have USB first vs boot drive...
May be something like this, the Hard Drive BBS priorities?

View attachment 467710

I definitely have seen that screen. I just don't remember it being persistent after I removed the USB drive. It's been a long time since I've tried to use it that way though. Maybe it worked itself out in later bios versions.

That's weird. Normally ASUS motherboards would try to boot to USB devices whether there was anything there or not. We actually bitched about that in reviews for over a decade on ASUS motherboards and it never changed.
So it's your fault! :p

Back