how to completely turn off my motherboard's USB ports?

mrjayviper

Weaksauce
I've had 2 motherboards (both AMD) where even though I've shut the PC down, there is still power on the USB ports. I don't want this "feature".

I've never encountered it before.. Is there a setting to disable this? I've looked at the BIOS settings and nothing stands out.

Thanks a lot in advance.

asus a85xm-a

could this be it?
bYeqyDW.png

That jumper is to wake up your computer from different sleep states.

You can try to set windows to turn off the USB devices with a registry entry:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbhub\HubG]
"DisableOnSoftRemove"=dword:00000001
Save the coded part as something.reg, then add to the regsitry
Detailed explanation you can find @:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2401954
I hope it will help.

Won't do much when he shuts the computer off. His issue is the ports are powered even when he shuts the pc down. OP I think you had the right idea with that jumper setting. If you read the Asus special features section in the manual it mentions about the AiCharging feature and specifies that jumper. Part of that feature that's not mentioned is being able to charge the device with the computer off. It can't hurt to move that jumper to see if it fixes the issue regardless so give it a try.

I get it, but I actually like the USB wake-up feature... and for a minute I was thinking moving this jumper from the default setting would turn off USB wake-up... but I think this may solve the problem and still allow the wake up to work.

I'll give it a shot in a bit.

Why do you even want to disable it? Plus there are other ways around the issue, like hitting the power supply switch in the back of your computer or plugging your computer into a power strip and switching that off. Also if the computer is off and you have something plugged into the USB ports, it won't draw any power from them, unless it is actively trying to, such as to charge a battery source in a device. I can't see any negative of this feature. I can't even understand why this is even an issue?:confused: OP can you enlighten us? (The only thing I can come up with is a USB hub or external HDD is still getting power but I don't use those so it is just a guess on my part).
Also note that disabling the USB ports in Windows won't actually disable the port, it just keeps Windows from using it and the port will still be active (at least it is how I understand how they function and have never tried this myself, unless you can actually make a call to the USB controller to physically turn off).

Per the manual for OP's motherboard: "Ai Charger is only supported when you set the USB device wake-up jumpers to +5VSB. See section 1.7 Jumpers for details"
Translation: This is disabled by default and you need to change that jumper to enable it.

If you are still having an issue with it I would contact Asus.

[21CW]killerofall;1040884543 said:
Why do you even want to disable it? Plus there are other ways around the issue, like hitting the power supply switch in the back of your computer or plugging your computer into a power strip and switching that off. Also if the computer is off and you have something plugged into the USB ports, it won't draw any power from them, unless it is actively trying to, such as to charge a battery source in a device. I can't see any negative of this feature. I can't even understand why this is even an issue?:confused: OP can you enlighten us? (The only thing I can come up with is a USB hub or external HDD is still getting power but I don't use those so it is just a guess on my part).
Also note that disabling the USB ports in Windows won't actually disable the port, it just keeps Windows from using it and the port will still be active (at least it is how I understand how they function and have never tried this myself, unless you can actually make a call to the USB controller to physically turn off).

Per the manual for OP's motherboard: "Ai Charger is only supported when you set the USB device wake-up jumpers to +5VSB. See section 1.7 Jumpers for details"
Translation: This is disabled by default and you need to change that jumper to enable it.

If you are still having an issue with it I would contact Asus.

Actually this is not entirely on point. I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and suggest the OP uses a UPS battery backup like I do. When I added a UPS to my setup this "issue" began.

Here's the sit. rep: my comp sleeps and shuts down but if u move the mouse or touch the keyboard while it's shut down the LEDs (on the input devices--the kb and mouse are LED lit) light up. That's not normal.

Another thing--if you are using a sound system with a USB digital to analog converter every time the comp sleeps wakes powers on or off your speakers will pop unless they are powered off first. The mouse keyboard thing is not a big deal. The USB DAC thing is a major deal. I have a lot of equipment that is automated and time delayed to turn on off with the computer so "flipping the switch" on the back is not gonna work, unfortunately. #1 because it's inconvenient if your computer is hard to reach or in another room and #2 because the system needs to be available for remote access "wake on LAN".

I still haven't tested the jumper but I'm crossing my fingers. I actually had to redo my sound system over this but it was a blessing in disguise. Sounds great.

OK couple things to add about this, and I'm going to reference the thread in a note to Raja.

I don't know how to completely disable the AiCharger "feature".

My board doesn't seem to have or I can't find the jumper for 5VSB enable/disable.

On my board, enabling the "ErP ready" function sort of solves the problem... it turns the PSU switch off for you, basically. Except that my board double boots next time if you cut the power to the mains like ErP does, which I find unacceptable for whatever reason.

Asside from that, I cannot make it so that my usb ports aren't strangely powered while connected to a UPS battery backup.

Also, the manual for my board states that if you are going to use AiCharger (and presumably USBCharger+?) that you should enable ErP ready. Well, I tried it to see if it would still charge my iPhone while it is correctly enabled in AiSuite with ErP ready ON and the phone gets nothing from the usb ports. (Yes the phone is connected to the USB BIOS port. The kb and mouse also don't light up, which is good... but then the computer double boots when I power it on again. I've never seen AiCharger or USBCharger+ be able to charge anything with my computer powered off on my new board, but it did work on the M6H.

Back