How to Clean HSF [besides Vac+Air]

fellows

Limp Gawd
Does anybody know the best way to COMPLETELY clean a Large Tower-type HSF. I've got a Scythe Ninja Rev.B, and I've already used the vacum cleaner + compressed air technique. Unfortunately there is still some dusty residue on the fins.

My google-fu yielded some decent results. It seems that many people are actually just washing their HSF. I was thinking of just letting it soak in a mix of 99% alcohol and warm water. I don't need it for a few days so I don't mind letting it dry out.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a possibility of accumulating rust on my Scythe Ninja from exposing it to water? Am I damaging it in any way by soaking it?
Anyone have other/better ideas?

Thanks

I don't know... is it dishwasher safe? I'd just throw it in the dishwasher. I put my cooper bottom pots & pans in the dishwasher.

Aluminum does not rust in a conventional sense, and the copper heatpipes should be fine for washing. You'd be fine soaking it in the manner you mentioned in your post.

I spray mine down with "Orange Clean" or whatever citrus cleaner/degreaser is on sale at Home Depot that week and rinse with hot water. That seems to clean it up quite well with no scrubbing.

It does, but I think the actual term "rust" is mostly associated with the corroding of iron (i.e. iron oxide) and not the corroding of other metals.

qtips and 99% rubbing . Dip it then slowly clean. Thats what I do and it dosnt take that long.

Anyone ever have to clean a Tuniq Tower? What's your method...

I just knwo when working to put it in my PC, I cut my finger twice.

It does, but I think the actual term "rust" is mostly associated with the corroding of iron (i.e. iron oxide) and not the corroding of other metals.

Indeed, as "rust" for the most part refers to ferric oxides. Wile aluminium just "corrodes".

Aluminium actually corrodes much faster than steel or iron, but because it forms a passivation layer of aluminium oxide it inhibits further corrosion.

However, my favorite way to clean aluminium is to mix white vinegar and hot water (boiling if feasible), you don't put much, maybe a few table spoons per quart or so, same method I use for cleaning spent shell casings. I then rinse VERY well with distilled water.

i just ran my tuniq tower threw my sink, and used a hairdryer to dry it cause i wanted to use it right away, worked fine for me.

Go to home depot and in the electrical section you'll find a can called Lectra Clean. Its electrical contact cleaner, and it'll leave the entire heatsink spotless, including any thermal paste. Use it in a well ventilated area (outside!) and don't spray it towards anything you don't want covered in thermal paste or dirt. :)

i just ran my tuniq tower threw my sink, and used a hairdryer to dry it cause i wanted to use it right away, worked fine for me.

Minus the hair dryer (since I don't even own one), this is what I do. It doesn't take much for it to dry and I can use it soon afterward. If I take the time to remove the heatsink, I'm probably doing some other stuff as well so waiting a few more minutes for it to dry is no big deal. If I need it dry in a couple minutes, I'll just hold it in front of a fan.

Back