How to clean a XPS 410 front intake fan?

ForBuilding

Limp Gawd
Hi guys!

I have a Dell Dimension 9200, better known as a XPS 410 and the front fan, which intakes the air to cool the CPU is terribly dirty and is making noises. Now this is supposed to be a silent computer and it was when I bought it, but now there is buzzing and vibrations and I think it has to do with dust.

Now for those that have an XPS 410, how do you open it up and clean the fan? It's not in the back like a ATX motherboard, this uses a BTX cooling system and there's this huge black thing covering the fan.

Anyway, I just wanted to write to see if anyone has already done this or knows how to do this.

This place is awesome.

Pressurized Air? Took a look at Google, and didn't get any specific hits on how to clean the thing. Can you open the side of the case and possibly get to it that way?

Good luck.

-ST-

I have done it on my Optiplex 755..which uses the same configuration....your best bet is compressed air, because as far as I know, there is no way to remove that shroud, without removing the HSF assy, since the HS is bolted to the shroud from the bottom...
if you do remove this, you will need to re apply thermal paste.
I had to do this when I changed the CPU in mine...you remove the 2 screws that you can see towards the front of the shroud, then swivel it upwards and towards the rear of the case.. and then unhook it.

Cool, thanks for the pressurized air tip. I guess I'll have to unplug all the cables and then take this computer outside to blow some air on it so all that dust doesn't end up in my room. It's a hassle, but I guess necessary for maintenance.

Cool, thanks again guys. You guys are the best. :)

Just remember when using a can of air Not to blow it on the fans when they're running. It's possible to blow them out of alignment and make them even noisier.

*me:pouts as he remembers having to buy a new case fan after getting over zealous with a can of air*

Back