How to check if Windows 7 disc is untampered or not faulty

buildornot

Weaksauce
I have a genuine Windows 7 license that I purchased from someone, but the disc that came with it isn't the original disc. He said that he made an installation disc to give me.

I doubt the disc is really a tampered one, but if I wanted to make sure that no viruses are on it or even that it was correctly made with no corrupted or missing files, how can I check that?

I have a genuine Windows 7 license that I purchased from someone, but the disc that came with it isn't the original disc. He said that he made an installation disc to give me.

I doubt the disc is really a tampered one, but if I wanted to make sure that no viruses are on it or even that it was correctly made with no corrupted or missing files, how can I check that?

Just download the proper ISO from digital river. You can be sure you get an unmodified image verified with SHA and get a current SP1u image. Just make sure you get the proper edition (pro, ult, etc) and volume/retail etc.

Just download the proper ISO from digital river. You can be sure you get an unmodified image verified with SHA and get a current SP1u image. Just make sure you get the proper edition (pro, ult, etc) and volume/retail etc.

This is what I would suggest doing. No need to worry, just throw that disk away and make your own. DVDs are cheap in any case.

This is what I would suggest doing. No need to worry, just throw that disk away and make your own. DVDs are cheap in any case.

I do like that option, but the reason why I'm inclined to use this disc the guy gave me is because it was from a while back ago, so SP1 isn't bundled with it.

I was able to make an installation disc from digital river, so as a last resort, I could do what you guys suggested. But for now, I'm hoping I can use the SP1-less disc.

I do like that option, but the reason why I'm inclined to use this disc the guy gave me is because it was from a while back ago, so SP1 isn't bundled with it.

I was able to make an installation disc from digital river, so as a last resort, I could do what you guys suggested. But for now, I'm hoping I can use the SP1-less disc.

Why would you not want to run the service pack?

I just want some control over which updates get installed, so I was hoping to get a plain windows 7 installer without sp1.

SP1 is a rollup and includes the same updates rolled in regardless of whether or not you install it after the OS or concurrently. You're not restricting your options for which updates to install down the road if you use an installer with SP1 slipstreamed, you're just saving yourself the time and effort of installing it later.

SP1 is a rollup and includes the same updates rolled in regardless of whether or not you install it after the OS or concurrently. You're not restricting your options for which updates to install down the road if you use an installer with SP1 slipstreamed, you're just saving yourself the time and effort of installing it later.

So from what you're saying, I assume that at some point I'll have to install the full sp1 update package, and I cannot just pick and choose the updates of sp1 I want through windows update? I was under the impression I'd be able to do the latter so that's why I was trying to look for a plain installer.

There is no custom install of SP1 itself. You just install it. But getting a install disc with SP1 already integrated into it will save a pile of time.

There is no custom install of SP1 itself. You just install it. But getting a install disc with SP1 already integrated into it will save a pile of time.

Drats, I thought windows update would provide a list of individual updates included in sp1 if I didn't install sp1 already. I'll just use the full installer on Digital River then.

Back