How to change firmware on Seagate ST373455LW?

ksingh707

n00b
Hello, I have a Seagate ST373455LW hard drive with a firmware model M002. I am trying to change the firmware back to the default version it comes with. If anyone knows where and how I can do this, please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

It is not normally possible with the Seagate utilities to downgrade firmware, only to upgrade. That said, if you can acquire some relatively inexpensive hardware (a USB/Serial to TTL adapter) and have a valid downgraded firmware to install (that is a more problematic issue). Just because the drive model number is the same there are different internal builds and you could have 2 "identical" drives and the firmware will work fine on one and brick the other. You will basically be taking directly to Seagates controller, it is an environment unto itself (similar to talking via serial to a switch or router) so you need to know the commands (Here is a link to a shart reference.) Even with a firmware file (which Seagate doesn't usually just give out, especially to an older SCSI drive that is not under manufacturer support anymore) one wrong move in the terminal could be fatal to the drive. Is there a particular reason you are endeavoring to accomplish this?

It is not normally possible with the Seagate utilities to downgrade firmware, only to upgrade. That said, if you can acquire some relatively inexpensive hardware (a USB/Serial to TTL adapter) and have a valid downgraded firmware to install (that is a more problematic issue). Just because the drive model number is the same there are different internal builds and you could have 2 "identical" drives and the firmware will work fine on one and brick the other. You will basically be taking directly to Seagates controller, it is an environment unto itself (similar to talking via serial to a switch or router) so you need to know the commands (Here is a link to a shart reference.) Even with a firmware file (which Seagate doesn't usually just give out, especially to an older SCSI drive that is not under manufacturer support anymore) one wrong move in the terminal could be fatal to the drive. Is there a particular reason you are endeavoring to accomplish this?
I have a few of these drives and they would be more valuable with original firmware. Thank you for the reply it was very helpful.

i wouldnt even try and ive never ever seen a drive that lets you go backwards.
why do you think they are more valuable with old firmware?

Back