How to be sure what disk is ssd during installation Windows 10. Disk 1 or Disk 2?

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello.
How to be sure what disk is ssd during installation Windows 10. Disk 1 or Disk 2?
I have Crucial ssd 1tb and hdd 1tb WD BLUE.
During install DISK 1 is showing 1tb. DISK 2 is showing 1tb. I want to instal system on ssd. THanks

Hmmm unsure if you can get that disk name/metadata from within the Win 10 installer.
I would do the following. Its a bit annoying but should work.
Power off PC.
Unplug the "hdd 1tb WD BLUE".
Power on PC.
Boot from Win 10 installer USB/ISO.
Installer should only see Crucial ssd 1tb.
Finish install.
Power off PC.
Plug "hdd 1tb WD BLUE" back in.
Power on PC.
Profit.

Hmmm unsure if you can get that disk name/metadata from within the Win 10 installer.
I would do the following. Its a bit annoying but should work.
Power off PC.
Unplug the "hdd 1tb WD BLUE".
Power on PC.
Boot from Win 10 installer USB/ISO.
Installer should only see Crucial ssd 1tb.
Finish install.
Power off PC.
Plug "hdd 1tb WD BLUE" back in.
Power on PC.
Profit.
Yeah thanks i know that way. But is this possible to check on what disk i am installing system with SSD and HDD.?

The following steps should get you the information you need.
  1. Press Shift+F10 in the installer, a command prompt window will open.
  2. In this window type diskpart and press enter.
  3. Once the diskpart utility loads, type list disk. This will show you a list of all installed drives, the two drives in question should be disk 0 and disk 1. These identifiers should also line up with what the installer identifies the drives as.
  4. Now enter sel disk <desired disk number>.
  5. Enter detail disk. This will display fairly detailed drive information. In this case the drive manufacturer will likely be the most useful information for you to determine which drive is which.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as needed to get information on other drives.
  7. Enter exit twice to exit the diskpart utility and close the command prompt window.

The displayed information should give you enough information to determine which drive is the mechanical drive, and which is the SSD. Hope this helps. Also, the diskpart utility is useful for cleaning the partition table off of previously formatted disks. For instance, if you want to clean a drive previously formatted with an MBR partition table to use it as a GPT drive for EFI support. In that case you'd follow steps 1 through 4, and then enter clean to clean the partition table off the disk. It can then be reinitialized.

Hope this helps.

Hello.
I have Crucial ssd 1tb and hdd 1tb WD BLUE.
During install DISK 1 is showing 1tb. DISK 2 is showing 1tb. I want to instal system on ssd. THanks
If you don't unplug the HDD before the installation of Windows 10 you run the risk of the the boot sector being placed on that drive. Just a thought.

If you don't unplug the HDD before the installation of Windows 10 you run the risk of the the boot sector being placed on that drive. Just a thought.
This is a good point. Don't know why the Windows installer does this, but it has definitely happened to me on more than one occasion. It's really annoying how little MS has changed the Windows installer in the last 14 years. IIRC, the current installer isn't that different from the Vista installer.

3. Once the diskpart utility loads, type list disk. This will show you a list of all installed drives, the two drives in question should be disk 0 and disk 1. These identifiers should also line up with what the installer identifies the drives as.
  5. Enter detail disk. This will display fairly detailed drive information. In this case the drive manufacturer will likely be the most useful information for you to determine which drive is which.
  7. Enter exit twice to exit the diskpart utility and close the command prompt window.

The displayed information should give you enough information to determine which drive is the mechanical drive, and which is the SSD. Hope this helps. Also, the diskpart utility is useful for cleaning the partition table off of previously formatted disks. For instance, if you want to clean a drive previously formatted with an MBR partition table to use it as a GPT drive for EFI support. In that case you'd follow steps 1 through 4, and then enter clean to clean the partition table off the disk. It can then be reinitialized.

Hope this helps.
⬆️ this here is the good stuff that I didn't know.

Hope this helps.

⬆️ this here is the good stuff that I didn't know.

Diskpart is my go to when I can't remove a partition from Disk Management in windows. It's a powerful tool.

best to only have the drive you are going to install the OS the only one attached. Windows might want to stick the EFI partition on the other one and if it does and you remove the other one the system won't boot anymore.

You could probably disable one of the drive controllers in BIOS setup, then windows probably won't see it. Can be quicker than opening the case.

Always only have the OS drive plugged in during install. Otherwise any other drives become associated with the OS install, and this causes several problems when swapping non-OS drives, or imaging and backups later.

Always only have the OS drive plugged in during install. Otherwise any other drives become associated with the OS install, and this causes several problems when swapping non-OS drives, or imaging and backups later.
Like my setup,

Disk-Management-HAL-X100-26TB.jpg

Another vote for making sure that only the drive to which you want to install Windows is connected at install. I always make sure to do this when installing Windows to a system where I have multiple drives.

When it comes to installing Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc this never occurs so I just leave them all connected. Believe it or not, they only install the OS and necessary data to the disk that is specified like most people would want 😐

Last edited:
Another vote for making sure that only the drive to which you want to install Windows is connected at install. I always make sure to do this when installing Windows to a system where I'll have multiple drives.

When it comes to installing Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc this never occurs so I just leave them all connected. Believe it or not, they only install the OS and necessary to the disk that is specified like most people would want 😐
You can do all sorts of configurations with a Linux install, even pseudo-RAID.

Yeah, go figure Microsoft still hasn't fixed the installer. Why it doesn't put everything on the drive you tell it to is beyond me.

Because it's following the boot spec. I haven't owned setup code for over 17 years, so take this with a grain of salt. (I work on the Windows Defender team again, now) The spec says to put all boot details on disk 0 according to the bios spec from way back. Now Bios and UEFI are a lot smarter, but windows is following the spec...

The Shift-F10 diskpart is what I use when I need to play around.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back