How to backup and flash Evga 780 ACX bios?

Ferris23

Gawd
I've been trying to use NVflash but it refuses to backup my current bios, it gives me an error (I think regarding UEFI?) and GPUZ wont back up my bios either.

How exactly to you backup and flash a new bios to a 780? I want to use the TI bios that disables throttling. T hanks for any help.

This is what I get when I try to backup my bios using GPU-Z

8896269415_b8fb972da6_z.jpg

Last edited:
haha Newer is better my ass, that worked great! Thanks

Now to get over my fear of flashing this SLV7 bios. Anyone reading this take the dive and flash their 780?

haha Newer is better my ass, that worked great! Thanks

Now to get over my fear of flashing this SLV7 bios. Anyone reading this take the dive and flash their 780?

You're welcome. As far as the BIOS goes, I have, and am having great success with it :), a lot of people in the source thread for it at techinferno have reported good results too.

I too would like to see some more flash results here. I read the techinferno page and seems very promising!

Golden,

Do you have 2 cards in sli? I have 4GB 680's under water right now and thinking about making the switch. How is the noise and heat?

Thanks!

Just one card, for now. Noise on the ACX cooler is extremely soft even when ramped up a lot... I'm running 52% on the TechInferno BIOS (which makes it sound like ~58-60% would on the stock one) and while it's audible if I stick my ear next to my case, if I'm a foot away it becomes basically indistinguishable from my other (low rpm, undervolted) case fans, though you can hear it if you listen for it a little specifically. That's enough to hold down a sub-70 temp max at all times for me in gaming @ 1215mhz core & 6780mhz mem in Crysis 3 and BF3 with several hours played so far, while I can bench at 1228-1241mhz core (may be able to game @ 1228 but I just dropped it down a bin to be safe for now).

Here's my Valley Extreme HD result with the oc... 76.2fps so far:

valleygoldentiger1920.jpg

For reference, the top Titans on OCN at roughly the same speeds pull an average (for slots #3-16 on the chart in the thread there) of 81fps.

Just one card, for now. Noise on the ACX cooler is extremely soft even when ramped up a lot... I'm running 52% on the TechInferno BIOS .

I just looked into the TechInferno BIOS from your post, looks very promising.

– ‘Boost 2.0′ disabled
– voltage adjustable up to 1.2125V
– idles normally
– default power target set to 340W
– fan adjustable up to 100%

getting my ACX on Thursday. Looking forward to trying this out. Thank you VERY much for your post GoldenTiger!

I think I know what my weekend project will be now. I've not played with overclocking my 780's any yet.

I think my 780s on stock clocks only scored 2600ish in Valley. So that's a killer bump in performance with your overclocks.
Seems like I got 4200 with both 780s in SLI. Wonder how high I can get them with that bios......

Any chance you guys can point me in the right direction for that BIOS? All my Google searching skills applied and I still can't find it for the life of me. This thread is about the closest I came to finding it :|

Thanks very much GoldenTiger! Hoping to figure out and solve my 1187mv cap problem with my 780 :( no matter what I apply to the core, the voltage never passes that mark. Frustrating, makes me feel like my card is inferior or something :/

Thanks very much GoldenTiger! Hoping to figure out and solve my 1187mv cap problem with my 780 :( no matter what I apply to the core, the voltage never passes that mark. Frustrating, makes me feel like my card is inferior or something :/

You're welcome, and that BIOS will let you pass the cap... best of luck on your oc'ing!

I was also able to successfully flash all 3 of my 780's (one at a time) to the Tech Inferno bios. just FYI.

While it did result in a bit higher bench stable overclocks in each single card, it did not work so well with my cards in SLI. For some reason only the first (top) card would run at 1.212V. The other cards would only go to 1.162V.This resulted in much lower stable OC's for cards 2 and 3. I tried adjusting voltage with Nvidia Inspector, Afterburner, and Precision X but just couldn't get the voltage to go up on cards 2 or 3..

I ultimately just flashed back to stock Bios where my cards will are getting a bit higher voltage; around 1.187V to 1.202V.

I'm looking to flash my bios as well, but I am new to video card overclocking, so I have a couple of questions.

1. What version of nvflash should I use?
2. Which program should I use to O/C? After burner or precision x?

For fellows new to this-

For BIOS edit:

Nvidia Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25

When using the Nvidia Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25 always use "Save BIOS As" not "Save BIOS".
If you select "Save BIOS" instead of "Save BIOS As" it will overwrite your source or original BIOS with
the modifications you've made.

You always want a pristine version of your original BIOS available.

For BIOS flash:

nvflash

Use GPU-Z to save your original BIOS. When you edit it always use a fresh copy of the original.
Do not use a BIOS you've already edited more than once. I'm saying if you want to make further
changes use the original not one you've already modified.

When flashing your card use a bootable USB flash drive and set it as the first boot device in
your motherboard BIOS before you begin flashing.

Source for creating a bootable USB flash drive:

Source

If you're greeted with a black screen after you flash, aka something went wrong;
just wait until you're sure you're at the DOS prompt again. Type nvflash -4 -5 -6 org.rom
then hit enter, type y and hit enter. Wait one minute, then restart.

You should have your original BIOS on the USB flash drive with the modified BIOS. Rename it
something short and simple like org.rom as I noted in the formula above.

I've never not been able to recover a card from a bad flash by doing things as outlined above. I've
only had a few bad flashes occur in all my years of flashing. The overwhelming majority of the time
things go well.

EDIT: An alternative for overclocking:

NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.1

I've used both NVIDIA Inspector and AB.

Good luck and have fun :)

Last edited:
For fellows new to this-

For BIOS edit:

Nvidia Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25

For BIOS flash:

nvflash

Use GPU-Z to save your original BIOS. When you edit it always use a fresh copy of the original.
Do not use a BIOS you've already edited more than once. I'm saying if you want to make further
changes use the original not one you've already modified.

When flashing your card use a bootable USB flash drive and set it as the first boot device in
your motherboard BIOS before your begin flashing.

Source for creating a bootable USB flash drive:

Source

If you're greeted with a black screen after you flash, aka something went wrong;
just wait until you're sure you're at the DOS prompt again. Type nvflash -4 -5 -6 org.rom
then hit enter, type y and hit enter. Wait one minute, then restart.

You should have your original BIOS on the USB flash drive with the modified BIOS. Rename it
something short and simple like org.rom as I noted in the formula above.

I've never not been able to recover a card from a bad flash by doing things as outlined above. I've
only had a few bad flashes occur in all my years of flashing. The overwhelming majority of the time
things go well.

Good luck and have fun :)

Thanks, very helpful :)

I edited my other post and I'll add the changes here too because they're critical.

When using the Nvidia Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25 always use "Save BIOS As" not "Save BIOS".
If you select "Save BIOS" instead of "Save BIOS As" it will overwrite your source or original BIOS with
the modifications you've made.

You always want a pristine version of your original BIOS available.

Last edited:
Back