How to backup 30gb files for an office

Hi guys,
I need some suggestions.

The small business I work for (11 employees) put me in charge of their file server.

They have ~30gb of files, and are not expecting to grow tremendously. It's taken them 10 years to accumulate that much.

Right now, they have a file server with 1 250gb HD and they backup to a tape drive once a month or so.

My idea is to throw another 250gb HD in there and set it up with RAID 1. As well, have it backup to an external 750 HD nightly and a 500gb external weekly and remove the tape drive completely.

Does this sound good to you guys? That would have the data in 3 different locations. Thankfully, 30gb of stuff isn't that difficult to work with!

Thanks for the advice!

That is a good plan, but you might want to add an online backup plan to it. Elephant drive is a great was to store data offsite and is fairly inexpensive.

Amazon's online storage is good too. Cheap and you can upload encrypted data so you know they're not peeking in on it.

That's cool.

Would we need a fast upload connection for that? I think our office only has 512kbps upload.

Also, can it be automated?

Like, could I automatically upload my 30gb folder once a week, and hold 3 weeks of data on their server, automatically deleting the oldest week? (90gb)

Your 512kbit upload speed isn't sufficient to upload 30gb of stuff. It would take a few days to upload it.

Your 512kbit upload speed isn't sufficient to upload 30gb of stuff. It would take a few days to upload it.

You are correct. The initial upload would take a couple of days. However after that their connection is more than enough to deal with the rate at which new data is generated if it has taken them 10 years to get to 30gb.

Also 30gb would cost them less than $5 a month for secure off site back up. You can use a product like jungle disk. So you don't have to worry about uploading the whole 30GB each week.

good plan, a raid 1 for hard disk fail option, and 2 external storage hdds.
very safe at my opinion

add thumb drive to it, it is really cheap and more secure than HDD in my experience

I second the online backup suggestion. It's always a good practice to ensure that you have business sensitive data stored in a geographically diverse location than the business itself. To handle your immediate need backup I would suggest taking a look at NovaBACKUP 10 It'll give you full Disaster Recovery and full device support local and online in a single place. Coming in first quarter of 2009 you'll see their NovaNET-WEB product integrated into as well so you'll be able to perform bit level incremental backups to many of the current online storage providers that use the software like www.firstbackup.com and www.divinsa.com

Very cool. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll investigate all these and inform the boss.

Also, I was planning on using synctoy to backup to the externals. Is there a way to delete backups older than x days? It'd be nice to have it completely automated. Delete old, backup new.

I could also use some suggestions for sub <$300 RAID cards :) Doesn't have to be too fancy, just mirroring two drives.

Very cool. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll investigate all these and inform the boss.

Also, I was planning on using synctoy to backup to the externals. Is there a way to delete backups older than x days? It'd be nice to have it completely automated. Delete old, backup new.

I could also use some suggestions for sub <$300 RAID cards :) Doesn't have to be too fancy, just mirroring two drives.
PCI or PCI-E?

Back