How to Avoid Immediately Destroying Your New Drone

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many of you got a drone for Christmas? How many of you have wrecked your drone already? Well, if you haven't wrecked it yet, this Wired article has a few pointers for those of you that might need them.

Your first instinct will be to overcorrect every time your drone is headed somewhere you don’t want it to go. Ignore it. Take a deep breath and gently correct your flight errors rather than slamming the control in the opposite direction. Another key to safe, happy drone flying is making sure you know where and how you can fly your new drone. Drone pilots do not have a stellar track record.

here is a novel idea

GET FUCKING LESSONS from an RC club

Yea, I would go to a R/C website and watch their videos to get pointers, not so much at wired. In fact ignore everything wired said (except maybe joining the AMA) and go to flitetest as a previous poster said.

Oh and everyone crashes, once you can accept that in your heart, you will know peace.

When I was a kid, crashing my first RC plane was like the world ending. Then an hour later the epoxy was strong enough on the repairs to take her up again. If you didn't invest time in building it yourself, it doesn't sting nearly as much when you wreck it. I can't really see getting worried about wrecking something plastic.

And as mentioned above, everyone crashes. If you're not having a little mishap every now and then you're probably missing out on some fun too.

Having 100 hours in a build and then wrecking is heartbreaking, no.

Quads, are pretty easy to fly. Some of them nearly fly themselves. (The Phantom 3 for instance, is so easy any moron capable of reading comprehension at the 4th grade level should have little problem flying it. Provided they actually read the instructions.) They do make simulators for many of the more popular models, some of those can be pricey. Though not as pricey as a new quad copter.

Can we stop calling quad copters drones yet? Some quads are drones, or pretty close like the previously mentioned Phantom 3, most are not though.

I remember having an rc heli as a kid. Crashed it a few times before getting good at it.

Referring to RC quadrocopters as drones still urks the shit out of me! :mad: Zero automation...

Back