How to automatically disconnect users from server

Mr. D.

Weaksauce
I have a server at work that has the database on it. It needs to re-index the database overnight. The problem is that users sometimes forget to log off, leaving one of more tables in use. This causes the indexing to fail. So I'd like to find a way to automatically disconnect all users from the servers. Is there a way to do this, either by using a built-in windows feature or by using a utility?

I am using windows2000 and on some machines windowsXP professional.

I know that AD can force a user to disconnect, but it may not be the best way, since it might screw up anything that was left open. Another option is to use a remote shutdown utility and run a script to shut off all the machines, if their on or not. You might run into some of the same problems though.

I'd go with the script myself, and tell users if they leave something open overnight, their s.o.l. That will make them learn fast to shut their machien down at night as well.

It is an ancient dBase IV database. I know that users can be disconnected using tsdiscon but then you have to use a command-lina parameter to say which session to end and I want to end all sessions.

What is AD?

Use Active Directory to create a policy to log off users after so many minutes of inactivity. Just let them know that any information not saved WILL BE LOST.

Please forgive me my ignorance, but where do you access the active directory. I can't find it anywhere. Also, I'm using the Dutch windows version so it may have a different name but it can probably be found in the same place.

It sounds like you may not be using AD. I assumed you were since you said you were going windows 2000 and a DB. AD is on a domain controller on a windows 2000 or windows 2003 server. It has several functions under the administrative tools section of control panel. If you don't know what it is though and you happen to be running it, I wouldn't touch it until you know more. You can very easily destroy access to everything if you hit the wrong thing.

Back