how to assign a specific ip to a cs server?

I created a dedicated Counter Strike server and I noticed that if I run another CS server, it will have chokes. Because of that, my upload is limited to 80-100 kb/s

What I can do is request an additional IP and I have two NIC's ready. Both are up and connected fine.

I also plan to make a webpage in the future and I want to use my server for that. So I want to have a computer hosting up two CS servers and a website. For the website, I will add another NIC.

My operating system is WindowsXP.

My question is, I want to know how to assign a specific IP to one of the server or other applications?

Most server applications will allow you to specify the IP address to listen on. I know apache does this with the "Listen" option.

Are you simply getting additional IP addresses on the same connection? If so, that's not going to increase your upload rate. You will have to order more bandwidth from your ISP.

jpmkm said:
Most server applications will allow you to specify the IP address to listen on. I know apache does this with the "Listen" option.

Are you simply getting additional IP addresses on the same connection? If so, that's not going to increase your upload rate. You will have to order more bandwidth from your ISP.

I am not looking to increase my upload rate. I have two different IP's so each server have an equal 100kb/s upload.

I will look into the "listen" option, thanks!

rekojenasni_787 said:
I am not looking to increase my upload rate. I have two different IP's so each server have an equal 100kb/s upload.

I will look into the "listen" option, thanks!
I'm confused. If you're paying for 100KB/s upload, that's what you're going to get, no matter how many IP addresses your ISP gives you. Each IP address won't get 100KB/s of dedicated bandwidth. Unless I'm just totally misunderstanding your setup.

First..benchmark your upload rate. Your hosting ability will be a mathmatical equation based on that. Even if you're co-locating your server at a data center...another IP won't help your upload.

jpmkm said:
I'm confused. If you're paying for 100KB/s upload, that's what you're going to get, no matter how many IP addresses your ISP gives you. Each IP address won't get 100KB/s of dedicated bandwidth. Unless I'm just totally misunderstanding your setup.

i live in the dorm and i use my college's dual oc3 internet.

i can request ip as many as i want.

i recently got two cs servers to work with two different ip, both are doing 100kb/s upload evenly. no more sharing that 100kb/s upload for two servers!

YeOldeStonecat said:
First..benchmark your upload rate. Your hosting ability will be a mathmatical equation based on that. Even if you're co-locating your server at a data center...another IP won't help your upload.

Download Speed: 53156 kbps (6644.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 801 kbps (100.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

im not looking to double my upload speed, im just trying to find out how to assign IP #1 to server #1, and assign IP #2 to server #2

i found out by adding the "+ip" command:
"C:\Servers\Dark Side Pro Pub Server\hlds.exe" -console -game cstrike +ip 129.21.118.242 -port 27015 +maxplayers 16 +map de_dust2 +port

"C:\Servers\Dark Side Climbing Server\hlds.exe" -console -game cstrike +ip 129.21.118.239 -port 27017 +maxplayers 10 +map kz_man_redrock +port

and that worked like a charm!

Back