how to apply thermal paste to w3570 ? vertical line?

Although I appriciate AS for coming up with that chart, I've never followed it. Back when I used AS5 I would use the dot/pea method and then monitor temps, and now that I use MX-2 I do the same thing. I have seen some videos on youtube that show an X method with great coverage for those who really want edge-to-edge TIM with minimal squeeze-out. Regardless, the same rules apply: Don't manually spread, check temps under 100% load for several hours afterwards (keeping cure times in mind if your paste requires it, which AS does) and make sure you don't use too much.

I bought Max 2 which recommends the glob in the middle ,method. I may do that with a tiny verticle line. Problem is line or not it spreads to the whole thing when the heat sinks wiggle when putting them on.

I've always just spread it myself into a thin (almost translucent) layer. I know this is kind of old school but it has always worked fine for me.

I've always just spread it myself into a thin (almost translucent) layer. I know this is kind of old school but it has always worked fine for me.

as for me too, even with the hardly to spread Ceramique 2...

I used a vertical line and I'm running at 24-25C under light load. Honestly, the method of application might make 1-2C difference so go with your favorite!

I'm going to do a bubble with small vertical line. i may put it in the fridge for a bit so its a bit more solid than runny. the last few times when its 75+ degrees it starts to loose its texture a bit.

Dot in the center... The size of a..... Medium nerd candy! Or spread thin, but make sure its thin!

lol !!! i'm stuck on what to do. so many good ideas.

problem with X or lines is that i find it turns into a "spread" EVERYWHERE anyway even to the sides.

I once asked Arctic Silver and they told me just apply 9 dots. It will melt and spread even after the CPU gets some temprature.

lol !!! i'm stuck on what to do. so many good ideas.

problem with X or lines is that i find it turns into a "spread" EVERYWHERE anyway even to the sides.

You have to calculate the long of the X or lines to avoid that problem happens.. Generally when i test "X" method i make thick in the center going more thin to the outsides so when i make the contact with the cooler it spread good frm the center to the outside without away of the chip or the sides..

tumblr_mgdxo5Qoj81qbih6so1_500.jpg

j/k ;)

i could draw 100 patterns end result is always the same for me: it smears everywhere even over the sides because its a pain to put on the heat sinks with the back mounting plates. any tips?

i could draw 100 patterns end result is always the same for me: it smears everywhere even over the sides because its a pain to put on the heat sinks with the back mounting plates. any tips?

Use less... If it goes over the sides, use 4 dots offset of center.... When I say dot, I mean like a tiny dropper amount if you know what I'm saying

Either like that or 4 dots around the center. When you have the heatsink screwed in loosely, twist slightly to smear the paste. Pick it back up and notice the contact. If it looks good, screw it on, if nt, add more next time.

I go for the Mona Lisa when I apply my thermal paste.

Nah, jasmine brown rice sized dot.

ya your using WAYYY too much, your insulating your CPU, not cooling it.

yea the last brand i bought came out too quickly and would liquify at room temps. i am going to cool the mx2 a bit so it is easy to apply this time.

thank you all. jasmine rice, making' me hungry

I'm use to horizontal line for q6600 quad core. this is also a quad core. i believe arctic is recommending for 3500 series a vertical line but want to be 100% sure
http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

simple dont use artic silver use liquid pro, and use a cottonette to apply it and you will see the dif against artic...im not saying artic is bad i use mx-2 for my video cards but for CPU liquid pro is a must

i'm not . cant wait for all the parts to come.

would it hurt to cool it in the fridge for a bit or how do i keep it from liquifying? the arctic stuff the last few times is too wet.

pop the lid liquid pro the die RTV the lid back looks stock, Prolimatech PRO-PK3 in a line tab to tab that is the shape of the die. no hot spots:) like 10c cooler on the hot core

i'm not . cant wait for all the parts to come.

would it hurt to cool it in the fridge for a bit or how do i keep it from liquifying? the arctic stuff the last few times is too wet.

just pull back a bit the plunger of the syringe.. and shake ita bit to mix the liquid.. i do that with the Ceramique 2 and work fine..

that was on a 3570k a xeon may be different

Ivy bridge chips are unsoldered so it allow to easy delid and remove the stock TIM. and replace it..that could not be possible in all chips..

i'd rather not do that too risky.

i'll do a cross + dot in center . dot will be a bit heavier then the lines.

After reading a test on Hard OCP I went with the small dot in the middle of the chip. Had my cooler on a Phenom II 965 and when I pulled it to install on the 3570k I could see how good the coverage was. Went with the small dot again and my temps look really good. Idle at 32c, load at 62-65c, clocked at 4.2.

I put a dot in the middle about the size of a pea and simple use finger smooth it out covering all surface of the cpu.

thanks all. i will go with the peace sign.

jk i'm going to do dot with a super thin vertical line

so i listened to nobody's suggestions. with arctic 13 cooler i stayed with the square patch on the heatsink of mx4 paste since its good stuff. my temps now max at 70-74c during benchmarks.

should i clean the chip and heatsink and only apply a dot of artcic mx2 ?

i thought since its mx4 and they make both the paste and heatsink it would be a good idea.

best vs mx4 on arctic 13? problem i have is all the reviews on heatsinks never scrape it off (good stuff) they only scrape off crap/generic stuff.

with all the reviews i read with i7s they had 50-60s temps

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/25/arctic_cooling_freezer_i30_13_cpu_cooler_review/

looking at that review doesnt seem that i am too far off!
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/25/arctic_cooling_freezer_i30_13_cpu_cooler_review/4

my temps lower 10 degrees if i use tjmax of 90 instead of 100 im not sure which is the right one
http://www.overclock.net/t/476469/the-truth-about-temperatures-and-voltages

Last edited:
Back