How to apply thermal compound? i7 930/Noctua NH-D14

metallicaband

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I'm going to build my first PC tomorrow (just got all the required parts) but I'm still not sure about how to apply the thermal compound on the CPU since I've seen so many methods and I have no idea which works best(blob method, spread thin layer on the entire CPU, apply it on the heatsink..etc)

Should I just use the tiny drop in the middle of the CPU method as instructed by Noctua's manual?

Would appreciate any help, I plan to overclock the CPU as much as possible with the Noctua if that matters in deciding which method to use.

The blob method is the preferred method now - either a blob or a short line.

if youve never done it before and want to make sure you get good coverage but not too thick then i would suggest mounting it a few times, even trying a few ways, and examine it each time you take it off. pretty soon you should find a way that works well for you to get good coverage without it being too thick anywhere. definitely start with the rice-sized glob to start. its the most common and reliable method.

Less is more. I prefer to cover the entire heat spreader with a thin film (mouse-turd amount) of AS-5 or whatever, then spread a thin film on the heatsink/waterblock then wipe the heatsink with a paper towel to remove most of what's on the heatsink. Guess I'm a little old-school?

i used to spread it evenly but now have found a smallpea sized blob in the middle
of the IHS works the best and just allow the HS to spread it out by turing it while
putting pressure down.

I wouldn't suggest a thin film unless both surfaces are confirmed very flat or lapped.

try mounting with the small blob in the center first and check the spread (and get an idea of how much TIM you'll need to use). if the coverage isn't looking so hot with the blob, use a small line across the center positioned so that the spread will be more even than previously and check the spread. in the worse case where the line method still isn't getting good coverage the cross method will get it done (it's very easy to use too much TIM with this pattern though).

I've always gone with the small blob in the middle... I've always had good cooling that way..

Since the CPU die is at the center of the heatspreader, I don't think it would hurt too much if you don't happen to have full coverage. The small amount of heat that makes it to the edges of the heat spreader is probably not very relavent to overall cooling.

I'm still going to apply my TIM the same way I always have though.

When you tighten the bolts on the ND-D14, do a half turn on each side until it is done. This allows the TIM so spread evenly. I just mounted 2 on an SR-2 last night using the blob (pea size) and pulled to check and it was fine.

"Pea size" is not the best way to describe how much TIM you're really putting on the cpu. If you take that literally you'll be using WAY too much TIM considering just how big a pea is. Maybe everyone here knows "pea size" is not literal, but it can be very misleading to some. I always say a grain of rice instead of pea and that is much more accurate if you're talking a literal size translation.

"Pea size" is not the best way to describe how much TIM you're really putting on the cpu. If you take that literally you'll be using WAY too much TIM considering just how big a pea is. Maybe everyone here knows "pea size" is not literal, but it can be very misleading to some. I always say a grain of rice instead of pea and that is much more accurate if you're talking a literal size translation.

Valid point. I was thinking frozen variety after they have shrunk quite a bit. I don't normally see peas in the wild :D

Thanks for replying everyone, I've built my system by now and I think I screwed up with the thermal paste lol (I applied the paste -tried a blob in the middle but it looked closer to a line-, felt like it was a bit too much but I didn't have rubbing alcohol to remove it and apply again, didn't want to mess with the paste itself to not screw up even more).

When I was mounting the Noctua I couldn't hold in place well, so had to lift it and place it again on the CPU, I think I read somewhere that once the paste is applied and you put the heatsink on it, you shouldn't remove it at all.

Since I don't want to create a whole new thread about this, here are my temps with stock core i7 930/Noctua D14 (HAF X case with 3 fans enabled, will enable the 4th GPU fan later -using a GT220 for HTPC temporarily at the moment-):

Temps with my room's Air Conditioner off (I live in the middle east and it's hot here):

Idle Temps:
Core1: 39°
Core2: 38°
Core3: 38°
Core4: 33°

100% prime 95 load temps:
Core1: 65°
Core2: 64°
Core3: 62°
Core4: 59°

Temps with my room's Air Conditioner on (it's pretty much always on):

Idle Temps:
Core1: 33°
Core2: 31°
Core3: 33°
Core4: 26° (seen it drop to as low as 23° when my room's really cold)

100% prime 95 load temps:
Core1: 57°
Core2: 56°
Core3: 55°
Core4: 51°

Temps drop fast when I stop prime95 if that means anything.

Since I plan to overclock the CPU to hopefully 4ghz+ after reading enough about the subject (I'm totally new to overclocking), I'm thinking about getting some rubbing alcohol and reapply the thermal paste, shall I do that or the results seem good enough?

Since you're overclocking I suggest you get some alcohol and experiment with the paste application. Grain of rice in the middle, a thin line, two thin lines, spreading it like peanut butter, etc etc. What you should be looking for when you lift the heatsink off the cpu is a thin even coating that reaches the outer edges of the cpu. Also look for spots where the paste is thicker than other areas and adjust the paste placement accordingly.

I can't really comment on the temps though as I am not familiar with i7's.

All we can do is link you sites suggest some ideas, but it's up to you to do what is the best for your specific setup. So experiment and learn by doing! :)

Since you're overclocking I suggest you get some alcohol and experiment with the paste application. Grain of rice in the middle, a thin line, two thin lines, spreading it like peanut butter, etc etc. What you should be looking for when you lift the heatsink off the cpu is a thin even coating that reaches the outer edges of the cpu. Also look for spots where the paste is thicker than other areas and adjust the paste placement accordingly.

I can't really comment on the temps though as I am not familiar with i7's.

All we can do is link you sites suggest some ideas, but it's up to you to do what is the best for your specific setup. So experiment and learn by doing! :)
This.

Definitely set aside some time to test each application method.

Seems to me your temps are fine, and should go down some with a few thermal cycles. I'm not familliar with the i7 though.

It wouldn't hurt to remove the heatsink and at least check if you're getting good TIM coverage, just to be sure. It will very likely spread out fully on it's own eventually though. Most of the tests I've seen done only run the CPU for a few hours up to a few days. I'm thinking after a few weeks the stuff will flow to cover the entire die? Can anyone confirm this???

I'm old-school and just spread a mouse-turd sized bit onto the entire CPU heat spreader (or die) with my finger (in plastic).

I do the line method as described in the Core 2 overclocking guide. I did the blob on single and dual core cpu's.

i generally apply TIM, install, burn in for day. then remove to see how the coverage is. grain of rice IMO is to small for modern size IHS. you will get the most important area but if you pull it off and check you might not get full coverage. try a little more and see if temps improve. you can also pull some off with a plastic edge like a CC.

anyway you do it, coverage is the key. i just check my own work and after checking and seeing how it works you get better with estimations.

Back