How to adjust fan speed, 3 pins, AsRock H370? Possible?

AbRASiON

Limp Gawd
I purchased 2x of these.
https://www.newegg.com/global/co-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426032
"GELID Solutions Silent5 FN-SX05-40 50mm Case Fan"

I've plugged them in to an AsRock H370 board and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to slow them down. I don't mind them moving a low amount of air but man are they NOISY - they are NOT silent, at all.

I'm using a Silverstone Sugo SG08 case with the big huge 180 (200?) mm fan at the top, which sucks a lot of power, so it's plugged in to fan header 1 (which is strong enough to do water pump, or something?!)

The other 2 ports, the Gelid 50mms are plugged in.
I am baffled. I know PWM = better, but like, is it just not possible to slow them down? The AsRock software didn't do a damn thing.

Note: I'd prefer someone who has actually DONE this with a 3 pin? Not just read up, cause for me, AsRock software and bios was worthless.

Three pins can only be slowed down by lowering the voltage supplied to them. Most motherboard aren't set up to do this, especially now that PWM fans are so prevalent. You'll most likely have to get a fan controller.

go into the fan section of the bios and adjust them? or is there no bios fan control? if not, speedfan should work.

Three pins can only be slowed down by lowering the voltage supplied to them. Most motherboard aren't set up to do this, especially now that PWM fans are so prevalent. You'll most likely have to get a fan controller.

I'm getting conflicting reports across the internet on this. The one consistent piece of data is "hey, it has to be voltage lowering in order to do this"
I'm _very_ ok with that, I just want something.

You're the first to imply it's becoming less common due to PWM. Can anyone else please confirm? I just can't figure it out on the AsRock, anyone know the EXACT settings?

im not familiar with the asrock bios but there is normally a fan control section under hardware monitoring, advanced or something like that. yes speedfan is old but it still works. sometimes it doesn't apply fan adjustments until it is restarted. ive had two systems that would do that. make and save an adjustment, close and restart speedfan and its kick in. oh, bios is right up to date?

try pressing F6 at the main bios page, see if that opens the advanced stuff and gives you access to the fan control.

edit: is this your board? should be close...
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...70-performance-motherboard-review/index5.html
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...rome..69i57.3903j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I went into Advanced, always do - I found a section about fans which allowed me to do some calibration thing and stuff - but it didn't change a darn thing noise wise.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...rome..69i57.3903j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I went into Advanced, always do - I found a section about fans which allowed me to do some calibration thing and stuff - but it didn't change a darn thing noise wise.
do you see a section called FAN-tastic tuning? if so try there(4th pic), you might be able to create a custom curve for the header their on.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...-gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-review/index5.html

I've seen more than one motherboard that could do PWM control, but not voltage control. My BioStar AM4 board is one example.

I owned an ASRock board once, but never tried plugging any 3-pin fans into it. It's safe to say though, that if you found the fan speed setting in the BIOS, and adjusting it made no change, the header on your board can't do voltage control.

Speedfan won't help you if the header in question is incapable of voltage control. As others have said, you'll need to grab a controller or a low noise adapter. The low noise adapter is nothing more than a little bit of fan cable with a resistor spliced in. I believe Noctua sells them in trios.

Alternatively you could snag one of these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/elec...bya-4pin-pwm-auf-3pin-transformer-single.html

It'll convert your motherboard's PWM signal to a variable voltage, allowing you to control the fans actively.

I get the impression from the bios, only one port is capable of DC fan control, that port is also port 1, which is the only one strong enough to push the huge Sugo 08 fan.

I don't understand why it's this difficult (or why gelid can claim their fan is "silent")
In a tiny itx rig, it kinda sucks to be adding fan controllers (in fact, I'm happy to have no molex devices in there)

I think I'm gonna go without, sadly. I want to put the lid back on this thing.

I get the impression from the bios, only one port is capable of DC fan control, that port is also port 1, which is the only one strong enough to push the huge Sugo 08 fan.

I don't understand why it's this difficult (or why gelid can claim their fan is "silent")
In a tiny itx rig, it kinda sucks to be adding fan controllers (in fact, I'm happy to have no molex devices in there)

I think I'm gonna go without, sadly. I want to put the lid back on this thing.
Neither the low-noise adapters I mentioned nor the PWM -> DC converter I linked you to require a separate power source. If you wanna spend $0 I certainly get it, I just think either option would be a good low-cost solution for your small case. =)

as others have said, for 3 pin RPM control you basically need a resistor of type to reduce voltage which slows fan down, I personally know of no mobo that has 3 pin fan header that you can RPM adjust like you can "easily" do with 4 pins.

there is either a turn dial style (Potentiometer) or resistor style (premanent voltage reducer, which some fans include as an adapter in the box) some cases have included on them similar switches/dials and such that use either and/or 3 / 4 pin.
I have seen some 4 pin molex adapters that can accomplish similar, but generally speaking, you want "full control" that would be with a 4 pin not a 3 pin (all motherboards.

I personally have not owned or used Intel, AMD, VIA etc motherboards, that had any fan speed control on anything but 4 pin, either they powered the fan or did not (3 pin) my last 3 boards all had various fan socket plug types and you can tell it to "control" the 3 pin, but it does not no matter what you tell it (full speed or none at all)

All that being said, not all fans like to "slow down" and can become very noisy compared to running as intended (not all, but many have that issue) some fans basically refuse to run if below X power (magnet/bearing does not like less)

unless im misunderstanding hes trying to connect 3pin fans on 4pin headers and not getting control. I am doing this with a msi z97 no prob, there is a switch in the bios to go between pwm/dc but I have to change it in the each fan submenu. wonder if op's board has anything like that. the link I gave doesn't show the fan submenus.

Try Asrocks own tool A-Tuning (think this one),see if that gives some fancontrol options.

Back