How? to add SSD to failing HDD comp?

pigdog2

n00b
So my Seagate HDD started making not normal sounds lately. It failed a couple of the Seatools tests so I will send it back under warranty. I just ordered my first SSD drive. The idea is to do a fresh install of Win7 on the new SSD, transfer some files from the failing HD and then when I get it back from warranty service I will use the repaired HDD as a backup drive.
How do I add the SSD as the C: bootable drive?
do I unplug the HDD, install the new SSD then plug the old drive back in to transfer files? Can I just transfer files between the two drives or will I need to use DVD or flash drive? I know there is cloning software but Im not really doing that with a reinstall of win7.
Never had more than one HD in my computer so I'm unfamiliar with the steps involved.
Thanks

do I unplug the HDD, install the new SSD then plug the old drive back in to transfer files?

Yes. Plug in the new SSD and install windows on it. Then plug in your old hard drives to transfer files. No need to backup to external media but it might be a good idea to have backups anyway.

then when I get it back from warranty service I will use the repaired HDD as a backup drive.

Note: You will not get the drive you RMA back so make sure you copy all of the data you want from the drive before you send it in. You will most likely get a someone else's repaired drive and it will be completely wiped.

Note: You will not get the drive you RMA back so make sure you copy all of the data you want from the drive before you send it in.

Good advice. Actually I have never received the same hard drive back after RMA.

Can you have two drives labeled C: after plugging in old HDD or will I have to rename it?
I read on the RMA process to Seagate that they send you a different drive so yes I will make sure to get the stuff I need transfered and then erase it before sending it in.
Thanks

Most likely, your HDD will automatically be renamed without you having to do anything.

Can you have two drives labeled C: after plugging in old HDD or will I have to rename it?
I read on the RMA process to Seagate that they send you a different drive so yes I will make sure to get the stuff I need transfered and then erase it before sending it in.
Thanks
No, you can't have two drives named the same. But after plugging your hdd back in it'll be renamed for you.

Aside from backing up the Seagate's data before sending it in, you may want to wipe the drive somehow, if you have anything sensitive on it. I always zero out my drives before selling them, just to be safe.

Do a triple wipe with CCleaner on the drive before you send it back.

When hooking the HDD back up to get files off of it, you may need to go to the boot menu to select which drive to boot from.. or you can set it in BIOS.

C: is not a name it's a mount point, a drive letter on windows. So your HDD will become D:, or if that is already taken E:, and so on. Its actual name/label will not change.

Be very certain to unplug the HDD before installing windows or you'll be in trouble as windows is not smart enough to install on a single drive, and will most likely put boot files on the HDD, then when you send it back, your PC will not boot anymore (fixable but a pain).

I installed Acronis drive manager after the drive was always accessing data. It scored only 18% and current pending sector count and offline uncorrectable sector count r/w operation failed.
I then installed Seagates seatools to check drive. It failed the short and long generic tests.

Back