how to add IP to esxi second nic?

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so if you saw my thread about Mellanox IPoB card setup as Ethernet and 10g network, all of that is going well so my next question so thought id throw a new topic up...

on the physical esxi box (6.7) .. it shows my normal 1gb nic and I have a static IP... it does show that I can tag my 10g nic for fault tolerance but I am trying to figure out how to assign an IP that nic in ESXI so I can access it via Windows to that nic...

I just cant find in esxi where to setup the IP... thx for your help, simple it may be too!!!!

my goal is to change my windows box into freenas and iscsi and store my vms there (all in testing and playing)...
so vmotion will be done there..

I know very little on the esxi 6.7 networking...
so do I need to create a new vswitch, add vmkernel nic and add that to the vmotion stack?

So sounds like you are just trying to add another NIC to your ESXI host in order to provide resilient connectivity for your guest VMs, right? From here I believe what you are trying to do is a NIC team within ESXI. This provides a single logical link for fault tolerance or increased bandwidth (LAG/LACP) to a vSwitch

Setting the IP address within ESXI isn't what you want to do unless you are applying it to VMkernel ports, which are logical interfaces that provide L2/L3 connectivity to the host for vSphere services such as management/ssh/vMotion/etc. access.

When you configure the vSwitch in ESXI for fault tolerance, it will only present itself as a single NIC to any guest VMs that are connected to that vSwitch. The individual physical NICs are transparent, and the load balancing/fault tolerance mechanics are handled through ESXI and packets/frames flow to/from.

A physical NIC can only belong to one vSwitch as an uplink, or a NIC team member serving as a single logical uplink to a vSwitch. What you need to do is create the NIC team first and then add a new vmKernel interfaces for vMotion and set your IP addresses to that vmKernel interface. From there, everything else is handled via port groups to break out VLANs to segment your VMs if that is desired.

• In ESXI go to Networking -> vSwitch<x>
  • Click "add uplink"
upload_2019-1-3_9-25-15.png

• Add the second NIC, it probably should already automatically select the second NIC
  • Then drill down "NIC Teaming" and verify both physical interfaces are added and the failover order is correct.
upload_2019-1-3_9-26-59.png

• From here, go back to your vSwitch and look at the topology, you should see two physical adapters that are providing uplink
upload_2019-1-3_9-29-17.png

• From there you can either edit your existing management interface VMkernel interface and add vMotion services to it, or create a new vmKernel NIC for vMotion only.
  • Keep it at default TCP/IP stack if you haven't created any other custom TCP/IP stacks. TCP/IP Stacks are where you configure the routing tables, DNS, etc.
upload_2019-1-3_9-37-36.png

Back