How to activate windows 7 by phone if you pass the activation period?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
There was an user who doesn't know what activation of windows 7 is, and continue to use the laptop for a few weeks. Then he passed away. The new owner, his friend, got his laptop, 2 yr. later.

So by now, the activation period is over, and from this link

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

so after I click Activate now, and enter the serial no. at the back of the laptop, there is a strange error. I don't know if it's a microsoft website error, or a win 7 error. It actually says : Error Code 0 x ??????

and it gives the option of Change product key, but no telephone option

And as of now, the win 7 on the laptop says it's not a genuine product.

So I don't get it, I type it the exact letter at the back of the PC, is microsoft saying because the guy didn't activate his laptop until 2 yr. later, it's no longer genuine?

how do you fix this?

There shouldn't be any manual activation on an OEM laptop. there is the possibility that the laptop was repaired or reloaded with an OEM or Retail version and never activated with the key for whatever version was installed.

If you have the original discs for the laptop or manuals, I would see if there is a restore partition on the hard drive and I would restore it and go from there.

Your can use the support chat on Microsoft's website. When I reinstalled my OS when I bought my SSD I couldn't activate it. Kept getting an error message similar to yours. I went on their chat support and had the issue resolved within 10 minutes.

I didn't know OEM laptop has no manual activation, no wonder I can't find it. I'll do the support chat then.

Back