How to Activate Windows 10 Creators Update with Old Windows License Keys

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by cageymaru, Apr 21, 2017.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Microsoft ended the free upgrade period for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users to migrate to the Windows 10 platform in the middle of last year. But it seems that the company still wants those older OS users to come aboard the Windows 10 train as it has failed to block a simple upgrading method during installation of the Windows Creator's Update. When prompted for a license key during the installation of a fresh Windows 10 install; enter an older Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license key. The key will be upgraded to Windows 10 at that time! This method worked with the Anniversary Update also, but may get canned in the future. This would be of particular interest to those that are interested in finally upgrading to Windows 10 to make full use of their new Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen processors without patching that silly Microsoft Windows Update block that was introduced this week. Here is a link to the official Windows 10 ISO direct from Microsoft.

License keys for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 can be used to activate a fresh copy of the Windows 10 Creators Update, even if Microsoft has "officially" stopped offering free upgrades to Windows 10 back in the summer of 2016. This means that users who want to update from Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 to the latest Windows 10 version don't need to buy new license keys to activate their new Windows OS. All they have to do is install a fresh copy of the Windows 10 Creators Update, enter their old license key, and enjoy their new OS.

pendragon1 likes this.
  2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

yup this works! did this two days ago with an old system from 2007(several systems actually). if you try the key in the upgrade advisor it will say it cannot be confirmed and wont work but if you boot into windows setup it takes it no problem.

ps: w10 runs surprisingly well on an e6400 with only 2GB ram, better than the w7 it replaced.

DejaWiz and cageymaru like this.
  3. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah its been working like that since forever really. Been peeling those Windows 7 keys off old busted laptops for a while now...

MS just wants as many as possible to move to 10.

Just watch out though cos the CE edition still wipes out newer installs of Office if you have a older version installed for other reasons (say Office 2010 with Outlook 2013). Time MS fixed that one.

Good job I cloned the build before doing the upgrade.

ButchCassidy, mesyn191 and pendragon1 like this.
  4. Cobra

Cobra 2[H]4U

Honestly, I don't know if they have a way to stop this from working unless they ban legitimate keys from machines that were sold with upgrade and dual licensing rights. I have a lot of small business customers that bought dual Win7/Win10 licensed machines that are upgrading to 10 on a case-by-case basis. It also works if you install with "I don't have a product key" in the setup and later on click on "change product key" under the activation tab.

auntjemima likes this.
  5. Mystique

Mystique Limp Gawd

It's a trap! Don't install Windows 10!

No amount of money could make me agree to become a passenger of my computer instead of the driver.

HoffY, Apollo-11, bobdabilder and 2 others like this.
  6. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

Wasn't this added because of the people who have retail Windows 7/8/8.1 licenses, which got upgraded to 10 (obviously with the right to transfer the license to the new computer, just like the original retail license), and without possibility to enter Windows 7/8/8.1 key you couldn't install it on a new machine the license got transfered to ?

7. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire [H]ard|Gawd

did they fix the rdp problem in windows 10 creator?
    I upgraded to the latest build on sunday.
    Monday i tried to vpn to a few computers that weren't updated. It couldn't do it. I saw a bunch of complaints saying that rdp wasn't working on non-creator computers.

8. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

What I'd like to know, and haven't tested yet, is can you reserve your copy of 10 with a 7 key and then revert back to the 7 using the same key. Meaning you could continue to use 7 with the option to use 10 later on?

9. lazz

lazz Limp Gawd

Does this work with OEM keys?

10. bigddybn

bigddybn [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks for mentioning this.

11. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

It's not supposed to if that OEM key is being used on a different machine than the copy of Windows came on, that's always how OEM keys have worked.

12. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

I did this for my home systems during the original free upgrade period. Cloned the system drive to a spare SSD, upgraded the SSD, and then plugged the original drive back in.

13. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire [H]ard|Gawd

I mean maybe it was my vpn setup at work (juniper) that also was part of the issue.
    I just rolled back to the restore point created before the update so that fixed it immediately.

14. Methos

Methos Limp Gawd

cageymaru likes this.
  15. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks! I guess I'll get my copies reserved. Though don't plan to install until I absolutely have to.

16. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Yes if the oem key wasn't used before on another machine.

17. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

Works with any key that hasn't gone through the process already.

18. otherweeb

otherweeb Gawd

Please note if you don't make a spare copy of the original win7 like nutzo said the time window to 'roll back' a win10 install is less than 30 days. After that win10 deletes the old system info.

19. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks although it wouldn't really be a rollback. I'd quick dirty install 7, activate a quick dirty 10, then install 7 again for real. Not a big fan of the upgrade-rollback deal as I like starting from bedrock.

20. hawkeye_wx

hawkeye_wx n00bie

I wish they'd give those of us stuck with an old Vista laptop a free upgrade to Windows 10. If they really want to get people off the old shit, I'd be happy to help them out.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  21. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger 3.5GB GTX 970 Slayer

Off topic, as win 10 doesn't do that.

heatlesssun likes this.
  22. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Why didn't you upgrade to Windows 7 years ago? you could be rocking Win 10 now if you did, lol.

heatlesssun likes this.
  23. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Thought this was more common knowledge around here since 1511 came out. Been taking advantage of this for a while and for customers.

24. Travolta

Travolta Limp Gawd

Well, until a few days ago I was using windows 10, which was an upgrade from my windows 7 key, and after the creators update hosed everything, I formatted and reinstalled windows 7 using my original key, and it's activated and running now.

Shotglass01 likes this.
  25. hawkeye_wx

hawkeye_wx n00bie

HP apparently offered a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it was released, but this laptop was originally purchased for my Dad and I was not aware of the upgrade offer until after it ended.

26. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

Sure it does.

27. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

My theory is Microsoft had some legal deal with someone that they'd only offer the free upgrade for a year, but the way they worded the contracts, they were able to loophole it with this "WE NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT CLEAN INSTALLS LOL" trickery.

28. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

yes. You don't even have to reinstall...there's an option to revert back and within 10 minutes your old OS is your current OS (and 10, as I recall, is gone).

Shotglass01 likes this.
  29. entropism

entropism 2[H]4U

MS WANTS everyone on 10. I have no doubt they did this on purpose. Let the less knowledgeable people pay for 10, let the smarter ones (who wouldn't normally pay to upgrade to an "inferior" windows) get it for free. Frankly, I love Win10. I have no issues with it whatsoever, and it's been running fine for me.

Also, upgraded my wife's computer with an old OEM license last month, took it just fine.

heatlesssun likes this.
  30. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

pendragon1 likes this.
  31. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

and somehow the install has actually gotten smaller. the last system I did, the e6400 I mentioned, only used 14.5GB after the cu update and all the drivers, office etc. sitting at idle it was only using 650mb of ram.

DejaWiz likes this.
  32. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger 3.5GB GTX 970 Slayer

Your convincing argument has changed my point of view.

/s

33. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

Less knowledgeable people upgrade their OS when they upgrade their PC and not until, so I doubt that's their reasoning.

34. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

upgrading from within Windows 7 still works. I just downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade exe from MS, ran it and it upgraded my E6700 machine I have here.

this was a spare parts machine that I slapped together a few weeks ago to try and get my old Matrox RT.X2 editing system working again but gave up since the Matrox drivers and software are very finicky, it's like the stars have to align just right for the shit to work, lol.