How to Activate Hardware PhysX to play with an ATI Video Card

All still perfect with driver 191.07 in my sig rig. No problems with Batman or Fluidmark...though Batman is a much more immersive game than Fluidmark I must say...

My bad. I read the first post wrong. I thought this would work without using a NVIDIA card.

All still perfect with driver 191.07 in my sig rig. No problems with Batman or Fluidmark...though Batman is a much more immersive game than Fluidmark I must say...

what? batman sux, fluidmark is the best game evar!!! lol.

i tried to get Fluidmark to work but i get a weird error talking about side by side problems. thus i cannot fully tell if my physx is working or not. should i uninstall Fluidmark and my nvidia card/drivers? (it's a xfx gts250)

Got it to work... but have three questions:

1) How do I set it so that it'll duplicate the desktop rather than extending it?
figured it out, but it will only display 1600x1200 - any way to make the "fake" monitor display at my monitor's native resolution of 1920x1200?
2) Aero stopped working when I extend the desktop. Is there a way to enable it?
Reboot fixed this
3) Asus' SmartDoctor cannot detect the display... is this normal?
Removed it and using other tools

Last edited:
Worked right off the bat for me. Maybe you should try doing a full uninstall and reinstall of the ATI + NV drivers.

Worked right off the bat for me. Maybe you should try doing a full uninstall and reinstall of the ATI + NV drivers.

Everything else works, fluidmark wont launch, I get the side by side configuration error, which has to do with some missing dlls. Batman works too with physx on high using the 5850 + a GTS 8800 512, using a GTX285 + GTS 8800 512 wasn't as smooth @ 2560x1600, pretty much the same thing as [H] stated

Oh sweet beautiful physics. :D For both runs MSAA was set to x8. However, even when set to NONE it still shows x8 in the final result screen. Weird.

FluidMark_4870x2_nophysics.png

FluidMark_4870x2_physics.png

Last edited:
It's probably worth mentioning that the newest version of the PhysX patch (1.02) works with the latest 19x.xx series Nvidia drivers. I got it off of Guru3D's forum.
That NGOHQ thread is like 8000 pages long and is a pain to navigate now.

Batman AA, FluidMark, NV PhysX demos, etc. all work just fine with my 4870x2 and 9800GTEE. However, when I run Vantage it sits at the physics tests for quite awhile and if it doesn't crash there it will crash at some point after the physics tests. I didn't have this issue prior to installing the physics card.

Last edited:
I got Win 7 as a self Xmas present yesterday, this was the 1st thing I tried... LOL
Works like a charm, to bad the nvidia demos won't work without their opengl renderer working.

However did do the fluid mark and got just over 16k on the benchmark at 1920x1200.
Very neat stuff, thank you for posting!

After a few hours playing last night, Its all working nicely, 4890 as my GPU and an 8600gt I had lying around doing nothing is now a physx card. Got CCC running as well, in 10.1, didnt like 102, so went back a driver revision.
Happy now, although I now need a quieter cooler for my 8600, its a little whiney 40mm fan :(

Vantage results -
Overall 10562
GPU 9159
CPU 19544

Phenom 2 955@ 3.7, 4890 @ 910/1170, and an 8600 @ stock for physx

Is it worth overclocking the 8600gt if being used for physx, and how do you do it on the nvidia control panel, as there doesnt seem to be any options to?

I'm glad you resurrected this thread. I was just wondering to myself if this patch still works. I have an 8800GTX and about to upgrade to an 5870. I'm thinking the 8800GTX should make for a good physx card.

I do have a question though.. will I be able to keep up to date with the latest drivers for my new ATI card with this patch?

I'm glad you resurrected this thread. I was just wondering to myself if this patch still works. I have an 8800GTX and about to upgrade to an 5870. I'm thinking the 8800GTX should make for a good physx card.

I do have a question though.. will I be able to keep up to date with the latest drivers for my new ATI card with this patch?

Yes. I'm using Cat 10.2 with the latest NV driver as of 2-3 days ago (I'm not home to check what version). There is a catch however when you go with Cat 10.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdVEMMbf0zc).

Yes. I'm using Cat 10.2 with the latest NV driver as of 2-3 days ago (I'm not home to check what version). There is a catch however when you go with Cat 10.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdVEMMbf0zc).

I just finally purchased my 9800GT graphics card for dedicated Physx support. Following the latest updates in the ngohq thread on the subject. If your using the latest Nvidia beta drivers 196.34 and ATI's 10.2 drivers (and the GenL patch) you can now have Physx enabled and working without extending a second monitor.

Here is a screenshot from my setup:

suckitnvidia.png

Here is exactly what I did in this order to get it working.

1. Uninstall all Nvidia driver software (minus Physx software).
2. Reboot.
3. Boot into Safe Mode.
4. Run Driver Sweeper to remove all Nvidia software. Link
5. Reboot.
6. Boot into Windows normally.
7. Install Nvidia 196.34 driver. Link
8. Reboot.
9. Boot into Safe Mode.
10. Install GenL hack. Link
11. Reboot.
12. Boot into Windows normally and enjoy.

No more extended monitor needed, I don't know if Nvidia screwed this one up or decided to give a banana to those who put out the effort, but enjoy guys.

As stated the information I have given was originally found here: NGOHQ Thread Link

:cool:

Derfman, run FluidMark and makes sure you get hardware acceleration. I had to follow the steps in the YouTube clip I posted to get things to work but if you don't have to that's great. I'm not running 196.34. I'm running 196.21.

Derfman, run FluidMark and makes sure you get hardware acceleration. I had to follow the steps in the YouTube clip I posted to get things to work but if you don't have to that's great. I'm not running 196.34. I'm running 196.21.

To get the results that I am receiving you must go to 196.34. You no longer need an extended monitor, it's had positive results from everyone that also has tried it on the NGOHQ forums.

Correct me if I am wrong but these results I am getting seem to be better then what a CPU can achieve.

suckitnvidia3.png

:D

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

PS... I noticed on a second run through of the benchmark it does indeed say Hardware Physx.

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide Derfman, helped me get my XFX 5850 installed today and setup my 8800GT as a physX card.

I'm using the 196.34 drivers from your link and the Catalyst 10.3 Beta dirvers. Works like a charm in Batman:AA and Fluidmark.

I did have some trouble at first, but I think I may not have removed my old nVidia drivers completely. Uninstalled the nvidia drivers and everything went smooth the second time.

I currently have a GTX260 running graphics and a 9800GT dedicated to PhysX. There's an HD5850 in the mail showing up on Monday to replace the GTX260.

Is it worth the extra power and heat to use the GTX260 as an uber PhysX card, or should I just keep using the 9800GT for dedicated PhysX?

I'm thinking Nvidia is very bright by locking down their cards like this. They have the oppurtunity to not onlysell cards to all Nvidia customers but also to sell cards to Ati customers... I'm fairly sure that a lot of ATI owners would like to put their massive graphical bandwith paired up with Cuda and PhysX. Nvidia would almost double their available market...

is this still working. interesting
AciDeX said:
Thanks for the guide Derfman, helped me get my XFX 5850 installed today and setup my 8800GT as a physX card.

I'm using the 196.34 drivers from your link and the Catalyst 10.3 Beta dirvers. Works like a charm in Batman:AA and Fluidmark.

I did have some trouble at first, but I think I may not have removed my old nVidia drivers completely. Uninstalled the nvidia drivers and everything went smooth the second time.
Yes.

Derfman: How the heck are you getting a score of 11666 (Minimum FPS 145) using a 9800GT as a PhysX card?

I got 8641 with a 9800GT (Minimum FPS 73), and 10823 with a GTX260 (minimum FPS 104).

Both of those scores are lower than yours, and (obviously) limited by the PhysX card. Your numbers look more like a GTX275

It still works. However, I've noticed that if you restart Win7 your desktop settings will revert to "extended." You can repeat the process of tricking your desktop it into showing only one desktop and still working with ATI CCC, the NV Control Panel and PhysX though. I've verified this with CAT 10.2, 10.3 and NV 195.62, 196.21, 196.34. I used Driver Sweeper each time.

Derfman: How the heck are you getting a score of 11666 (Minimum FPS 145) using a 9800GT as a PhysX card?

I got 8641 with a 9800GT (Minimum FPS 73), and 10823 with a GTX260 (minimum FPS 104).

Both of those scores are lower than yours, and (obviously) limited by the PhysX card. Your numbers look more like a GTX275

I agree. That number is way too high unless he's pushing that 9800GT to some insane limit. Even your score of 8641 is almost 2000 over mine. I just ran FM 1.1.1 with his settings and this is what I got:

fluidmark_latest.png

Sorry maybe I'm blind but didn't see it anywhere in this thread or via Google.. but does anyone else have problems with the physx mod file being flagged as a trojan? NOD32 is all "Do not want" when I try to download it.

Sorry maybe I'm blind but didn't see it anywhere in this thread or via Google.. but does anyone else have problems with the physx mod file being flagged as a trojan? NOD32 is all "Do not want" when I try to download it.

Nope. But I'm using AVIRA.

No issues with the file here. I still have a copy of the 1.2 version that has been functional for a while. Is it giving you warnings regardless of where you download it?

I agree. That number is way too high unless he's pushing that 9800GT to some insane limit. Even your score of 8641 is almost 2000 over mine. I just ran FM 1.1.1 with his settings and this is what I got:

[image snipped]

Maybe he's upgraded his PhysX card and forgot to change his signature. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Maybe he's upgraded his PhysX card and forgot to change his signature. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Honestly I can't explain the reason as to why I received the first results. I have been tweaking my system for a stable OC since that point (it wasn't exactly stable at that time) and one of the settings could have effected the score (though I can't understand why so much by the standards you guy have listed).

I am running a recently bought 9800GT low profile card from BFG, it doesn't even use an external power source (I'm sure this adds even more to the confusion).

Last night around 3AM when I was reading the latest replies on this thread I decided to re-run the Fluidmark benchmark, I scored around 9,600 but was too tired to screenshot it and reply.

Still a bit high by your standards and I can't explain as to why... If need be I will take a video of my PC running the benchmark but I'm guessing the original 11,000+ score could have been a fluke? :p

It still works. However, I've noticed that if you restart Win7 your desktop settings will revert to "extended." You can repeat the process of tricking your desktop it into showing only one desktop and still working with ATI CCC, the NV Control Panel and PhysX though. I've verified this with CAT 10.2, 10.3 and NV 195.62, 196.21, 196.34. I used Driver Sweeper each time.

Thanks Psychor for the updated information. I myself noticed this as well, though the extended display was not turned on (so my mouse cursor never left my actual screen). And in my case it could be simply removed by right clicking on it and choosing an option to remove it. I can't remember if that was in CCC or display properties, I didn't notice it showing back up since though. I will check it out again once I get home from work.

No issues with the file here. I still have a copy of the 1.2 version that has been functional for a while. Is it giving you warnings regardless of where you download it?

I've been trying to download it from physxinfo.com - I actually sifted through the comments and some people say they are having the same issue also, apparently due to the installer program that is used. NOD32 just terminates the connection when it almost finished, letting me know the trojan was detected in the download. I mean, I could make an exception for it I guess but is there any other place that is known to be trustworthy where I can try downloading it?

I've been trying to download it from physxinfo.com - I actually sifted through the comments and some people say they are having the same issue also, apparently due to the installer program that is used. NOD32 just terminates the connection when it almost finished, letting me know the trojan was detected in the download. I mean, I could make an exception for it I guess but is there any other place that is known to be trustworthy where I can try downloading it?

I had to uninstall BitDefender to get the hack installed on my PC.

When my 5970 comes in I will be using my old watercooled 8800GT for the dedicated PhySX card. Worth it?

My GTX260 alone scored 10823 in Fluidmark when running all by itself (both graphics and PhysX were being handled by the GTX260).

I now have an HD5850 doing graphics and the GTX260 dedicated to PhysX...and my Fluidmark score has dropped to 7100.

What's the deal here? :eek:

Has anyone else noticed that after setting this up in win 7x64 that CPUz and hwmonitor don't run or is it just me? My install is fresh my new setup has a 5870 and a 9800gt for physx

Has anyone else noticed that after setting this up in win 7x64 that CPUz and hwmonitor don't run or is it just me? My install is fresh my new setup has a 5870 and a 9800gt for physx

Yes, CPUz x64 doesn't work for me either. Luckily I use Everest Ultimate.

Last edited:
Back