How to Activate Hardware PhysX to play with an ATI Video Card

Works well, just got Win7 installed this morning and tried it out. Over 2000-point increase with my ghetto crossfirex setup - a 3870 and a 3870x2. :)

works fine with the latest wql drivers 191.07 -batman close to 80fps ave ftw :)

Grats. Yes I've found that this works with the 191.07 WHQL drivers as well. So that's nice. I just got Batman in today myself and I will be testing it soon @ 1Ghz core/1300 mem. Benchmarks coming soon to a thread near you!

JubileeBatmanAA5870screenshot.jpg

Just wanted to say that this patch is working great with my 4870x2 and 9800gt using latest drivers for both cards. Went from 1500 fluidmark to 6600 and Batman runs smooth with high physx setting.

Thank you! You are f-ing awesome man!!!!

You gotta love when the world changes from "PhysX is uselees" to "Hey AMD users, we can have this PhysX too" :D:D:D

*ROFL*

Everyone needs to get onboard - http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/physx/

I will be sure this gets to Nvidia, help us get some support behind this though, there is no reason why Nvidia should remove this ability as a current Nvidia GPU customer I deserve every feature they sell it to me based on. I know some of you guys hate petitions - we need as many signatures as possible so please, just sign it!!

I would sign but it is so poorly worded that I would be embarrassed to attach my name to it. Reword to make it sound more professional, Ill most definitely sign it.:)

I'll be sure to try this when my GD70 and 720 show up. :D

EDIT: How do you guys think a 9600GSO 768GDDR3 would do for PhysX?

You gotta love when the world changes from "PhysX is uselees" to "Hey AMD users, we can have this PhysX too"

*ROFL*

You got to love it when Nvidia users get angry that the company they love can’t protect a prized fan boy talking point.
Look ATi users don’t mind Physx that much, what they mind is how its locked to one card company, and that Nvidia then tried to tie it down to only Nvidia based setups. If Physx was sold as Middleware that could run on any GPU under DX11 no ATi user would care.
Stop twisting the argument and inciting flames at every possible chance. Your actions are immature and childish and they speak loudly of you being obsessed with a certain green company.

You gotta love when the world changes from "PhysX is uselees" to "Hey AMD users, we can have this PhysX too" :D:D:D

*ROFL*

I love how you spin everything to fit your way of thinking. It's a small minority of people who think PhysX is useless and here's a bit of information for you as well...NOT ALL OF THEM ARE AMD USERS.

In all the other threads about PhysX the number one complaint has been that NV locked AMD users out of using an NV card from being able to use PhysX if an NV card is not being used to render the graphics and then crippled the CPU based PhysX.

Myself have repeatedly said I don't hate PhysX. I just hate how NV is handling everything about PhysX. My feelings are the same for Havok as I've also stated before. How is that hating on PhysX or Havok? Oh wait...it's not.

Is physx really worth it? I can't find any game that is interesting that uses hardware physx. I could be wrong.

Usually proprietary things like this fall off the earth after a while as well, considering probably half the market has ati cards i can't see gaming companies making any more big name games with physx. Am I wrong?

It seems pointless unless you are some nerd who wants the epenis gratification of a high 3dmark score.

Is physx really worth it? I can't find any game that is interesting that uses hardware physx. I could be wrong.

Usually proprietary things like this fall off the earth after a while as well, considering probably half the market has ati cards i can't see gaming companies making any more big name games with physx. Am I wrong?
Me thinks you are wrong. More titles are due out next year sporting PhysX technology.

It seems pointless unless you are some nerd who wants the epenis gratification of a high 3dmark score.
This is retarded. If you don't find any value in having a little extra eye candy then fine but leave it at that. I personally don't give a shit about 3DMark scores but I do care about having the best gaming experience possible.

I'm using the new ATI/Nvidia PhysX hack and while it's nice to see the little effects in Batman, they don't really add much...and they're also somewhat sparse.
It's definitely not worth buying any form of add-on card for that game alone. I think only time will tell if hardware PhysX is worth anything.

I'm running a GTS250. They can be had for under $100 if you look. There are a lot of people claiming the 9600GT is good enough as a secondary card.
I know I have PhysX on "high" in Batman and I'm still hitting 60 fps (the max possible) with vsync on.

I'm running a GTS250. They can be had for under $100 if you look. There are a lot of people claiming the 9600GT is good enough as a secondary card.
I know I have PhysX on "high" in Batman and I'm still hitting 60 fps (the max possible) with vsync on.
Sounds about right, didn't the 9600GT have most of the GPU guts of the 9800 but gimped memory bandwidth?

I'm using the new ATI/Nvidia PhysX hack and while it's nice to see the little effects in Batman, they don't really add much...and they're also somewhat sparse.
I think they could have done more with the game. They could have made more of the objects dynamic, more stuff to bump into, maybe give you an opportunity to throw things whether in battle or not and have them react realistically to the environment. Puddles should have reactions and they don't.

It's definitely not worth buying any form of add-on card for that game alone. I think only time will tell if hardware PhysX is worth anything.
We're all still waiting for the killer app. The point is, Batman has the one of the better if not best implementations THUS FAR. I wouldn't spend the money on a PhysX card either just for Batman (It's definately not that killer app) but if I already own the hardware to handle the computations, then I want to be able to use it.

I thought this thread was about activating PhysX on your Nvidia card when you run an ATI card in the system as well, and folks reporting their successes with the instructions provided. There's a shit load of other threads to debate the worthiness of PhysX. Neither side will convince the other in that debate, it's worthless really. Some will find value in it, others won't. There isn't much more to it. Developers have been moving forward with it in quite a few titles so there must be some value in it.

Last edited:

i think a 9600gt should be the absolute minimum for a dedicated ppu at this point. anything slower would probably bog the system down in physx intensive games.

We're all still waiting for the killer app. The point is, Batman has the one of the better if not best implementations THUS FAR. I wouldn't spend the money on a PhysX card either just for Batman (It's definately not that killer app) but if I already own the hardware to handle the computations, then I want to be able to use it.

I thought this thread was about activating PhysX on your Nvidia card when you run an ATI card in the system as well, and folks reporting their successes with the instructions provided. There's a shit load of other threads to debate the worthiness of PhysX. Neither side will convince the other in that debate, it's worthless really. Some will find value in it, others won't. There isn't much more to it. Developers have been moving forward with it in quite a few titles so there must be some value in it.

agreed

Hmmm, was looking forward to using less power if I swap out my crossfired 4850s for a single 5870, guess I'll blow that gain if I go and add an nvidia card in, but this sounds very tempting. Would probably look at adding a sub $125 card for that, maybe a GTS 250 or a 9600 GT, or I've got an 8800 GTX that's not being used if that'd work, but that's probably going to be the biggest power user, and I don't mind solving problems by throwing money at it to get something that would work just as well but use less power and be quieter.

I've been eyeing up some of the energy efficient single slot 9x00 cards as a possible PhysX card. Just haven't bitten the bullet. Figure it might be a good power usage balance if I decide to do tri-fire with a 5870x2.

Just an FYI, the newer Nvidia drivers still work fine for this. I had to uninstall everything because the new Catalyst drivers messed my system up a little.
I tried everything with the latest Nvidia display drivers/PhysX pack and it still worked fine. I'm guessing it's because the PhysX component wasn't changed.
Either way it works.
Oh yeah, for the PhysX patch - there are two versions: a "full" and a "lite" patch. The one listed as full seemed like a portal inside-joke and didn't do anything for me, but the lite one works fine. Not sure if someone replaced it with a joke file or what, but the lite one worked fine.

*ROFL*

Uhm... You still need a piece of nVidia hardware.

More like when the world changes from "PhysX is Useless" to "Hey, I'm not a fanboy... I've got a great nVidia card sitting here on my shelf - let's put it to use!"

:eek:

I think it is more like, "Wow, I get freedom of choice for my primary GPU and still get to use PhysX on the GPU I paid for with my hard earned cash!"

Two questions:
What's the cheapest nvidia card that supports this, and:

Does x16 PCIe cards work in a open-back x1 slot? :D

It just occured to me, when reading this:
linky

It was not until the late 1700s that Europeans finally took up the potato with gusto. Thereafter, it revolutionized their eating habits. It came to feed millions to the exclusion of most other vegetables. Today, ninetenths of the world's crop is produced in Europe. The greatest per capita consumers of potatoes in the world are Poland, Ireland, and East Germany. The largest overall producer is the Soviet Union. The Netherlands is typical of many: of the 5 million tons of vegetables it produces annually, 4 million tons are potatoes. From this former Inca crop, Scandinavia, France, Germany, and Russia eventually developed "national" dishes such as potato dumplings and potato pancakes, not to mention their renowned liquors aquavit and vodka.
The turnaround in popularity of the potato was due mainly to certain "crop champions"—individuals of vision who dedicated their talents, emotions, and egos to the crop's cause. The most famous was Antoine Parmentier. After convincing Louis XVI of the potato's qualities, he tricked French peasants into thinking potatoes were fit only for royalty. As a result, the people pilfered the king's potato fields, and the plant quickly ended up in gardens all over France.
In Germany, potatoes were also given royal cachet by a series of royal advocates, including Frederick the Great; and in Greece, by King Otto I. In Sweden, the potato's protagonist was Jonas Alstromer, who "stole" two sacks of them from England and (despite being chased by the British navy) got them safely to Stockholm.

Because it seems to me AFTER NVIDIA locked PhysX, it suddenly got more attention...

PhysX was pretty useless, until Batman came along :D

It just occured to me, when reading this:
linky

Because it seems to me AFTER NVIDIA locked PhysX, it suddenly got more attention...

I'm sure a lot of people with a spare nvidia card were going to use it to play batman. The only reason it seems so popular is because everyone has to post on here to get help fixing what nvidia broke.

Really though, you're either getting paid by nvidia or your skull is filled with water.

PhysX was pretty useless, until Batman came along :D

I would say it still is. Doesn't really add anything to the game but fluff, nothing that really that changes gameplay experience. I really think nVidia has something good here if they would only push game devs beyond adding fluff.

and besides being pricks that doesnt allow use without doing hacks etc etc.

IT could add the damn support with stuff like:
This is not a supported setup, you will recive no support for this setup by Nvidia.

Is that sooo hard? xD

Then if this is all fluff there sure as hell a lot of people that want it. Complain Phsyx is POS no games support it, then complain it's been taken away.

Then if this is all fluff there sure as hell a lot of people that want it. Complain Phsyx is POS no games support it, then complain it's been taken away.

I have given up making sense of the arguments against PhysX because they all seem to contradict each other ;)

I think the problem here is that, in reality, it is only adding fluff to their games. This isn't ever going to change until PhysX becomes an open standard, because having it as a game requirement (really the only way it's ever going to add any significant change to gameplay) is going to alienate a ton of users, and no publisher is ever going to take that risk, unless Nvidia paid them a ton of money to do so.

Outstanding! Sent the link from the front page to people whom I know have both ATI and nVidia cards in their systems. Thanks! :)

Two questions:
What's the cheapest nvidia card that supports this, and:

Does x16 PCIe cards work in a open-back x1 slot? :D

Should work just fine. I have had a 9600 GT in an open-back x4 slot for a long time as a PhysX card. Not too many motherboards have open-back x1 slots, though. If yours does, you should be fine. If you're thinking about hacking, just be very careful about it, and make sure that there are no motherboard components directly 'behind' the slot where the card-side connector would be.

Cheapest card? A used 8400 GS; although new ones can be had for as little as about $30, if you dig around. (Although the intergrated-chipset GeForce 8100 can also do it, but I don't know if that chipset will leave the onboard GPU active when you have a non-nVidia card add-in card. Heck, nVidia only officially offers "Hybrid SLI" when you plug in an 8400 GS.)

Its not as cheap, but you can get a new Asus 9600GSO for about $40 after mail-in rebate at the egg, which might be a good compromise.

I'm leaning towards an energy efficient 9800GT.. if I decide to tinker with PhysX.

If you have crossfire 5870s and a third pci-e slot like some motherboards due that support 3-way crossfire/sli, etc

Can you go 2 x 5870 + 1 nvidia card for physics x?
or does this 'workaround'//'setup' not work with crossfire?

Eventually, in that motherboard setup described above, will those potentially work with two 5870x2s and a nvidia video card combined together? I think that would be awesome if it did work out successfully.

this is directed at Atech and sorry in advance for going off topic:

from what i have gathered, people dont care about physx when buying a new card because its not really a make or break deal when playing games, but physx does become important when people have say a 48xx or 58xx and a 8800gt/gts/gtx and now they can continue to use their card that was formaly useless to them.
does this makes sense to you yet? i tried to make this really clear because you seem to think people are hypocrites when they say physx isnt a big deal, but in reality it still isnt and people just jump at the chance to be able to use old hardware again.

If you have crossfire 5870s and a third pci-e slot like some motherboards due that support 3-way crossfire/sli, etc

Can you go 2 x 5870 + 1 nvidia card for physics x?
or does this 'workaround'//'setup' not work with crossfire?

Eventually, in that motherboard setup described above, will those potentially work with two 5870x2s and a nvidia video card combined together? I think that would be awesome if it did work out successfully.

I could have swore I saw a post of someone's 3DMark score with Crossfire 5870 and a Nvidia card for PhysX on here somewhere. I don't see why it wouldn't work either way. I can see possible Eyefinity problems.. but thats about it.

Back