How to activate and port OnePlus phone showing as not compatible on MVNO

TV2

n00b
I have family members on my AT&T plan that I’m trying to move to a MVNO (Consumer Cellular). Everything is normal procedure on 3 of the phones, but one OnePlus 8 phone is showing as not compatible with their system when I enter the IMEI to order the SIM card to start this process.

I want to figure out how to get the SIM card and then activate it and port over the phone number from AT&T on this phone.

Background:

Back in January we upgraded 4 phones by buying unlocked phones from online stores.

Three of the phones are identical OnePlus 8 - model IN2017.

All of the phones were activated and are working on the AT&T network. There was no problem activating the problem phone on AT&T.

Two of the IN2017 phones show up as compatible on the Consumer Cellular site when ordering the SIM card. These two were bought from an Ebay retailer and were listed as new, unused phones.

The phone that shows as incompatible was a refurbished phone from a seemingly reputable reseller.

I tried the problem phone’s IMEI on other MVNO sites that use the AT&T network (Cricket, Straight Talk, H2O) and the same incompatible message comes up there too.

Note that the two phones that show up as compatible have an IMEI brand prefix of 9900 1575. The problem phone’s prefix is 9900 1597.

1597 shows up as clean on IMEI checkers, and is listed as an IN2017.

Using random IMEI, I checked, and any IMEI with that 1597 prefix comes up incompatible (tried 5).

We know that this phone is compatible on the AT&T network. I can be pretty sure that an activated SIM will work in this phone. So how do I do it?

Any advice would be appreciated, particularly if you’ve actually done something like this before.

Also note that the problem phone is 3000 miles away. There are lots of things I would try if I had it in my hands, but the solution I try probably should be fairly simple in this case.

Update:
I decided not to bother playing with IMEI settings.
This is a Consumer Cellular problem. There was nothing wrong with the phone or IMEI. I activated it with another MVNO on the same network with no problem.
I suspect a robot problem: They have a list > Number is not on the list > Incomaptible > Next!

I wouldn't think it's a "robot" program so much as their inaccurate "whitelists." I had the same problem with a Google Pixel 5a (GoogleFi edition) that wouldn't activate on Verizon. It wasn't on their "whitelist" so it wouldn't let me activate it. It was perfectly capable of running on their network, but they wouldn't allow it. MVNOs don't have access to the whitelist so they are at the mercy of whatever the mainline carrier provides. OnePlus has had the same issues historically.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to just allow phones on the network based on the SIM card rather than check it against the phone AND the SIM card.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to just allow phones on the network based on the SIM card rather than check it against the phone AND the SIM card.

I agree. The MVNO I went with (Red Pocket) didn't bother with any prequalification. They just state that you need to have an unlocked GSMA phone to use their GSMA service. They use the IMEI when you activate, but that was not an issue in this case.

yeah ususally it just has to be an unlocked phone and you drop in the sim, thats it. thats how its worked on my last three phones anyways...
their site is probably just fucky.

Make sure its unlocked. If it was sold as a carrier device it could be flagged that way thus would be blocked by there Auth system. Was this purchased from ATT(did they even sell it) or was it bought direct from One Plus?

We were sure it was unlocked before I started this adventure. OnePlus phones are typically locked to T-Mobile in the States, so it had to be unlocked in order to activate it on AT&T when she got it.
Oneplus has a Unlock Status check right in the settings, which we checked, so no need to insert a different SIM to check that.
She bought it as a refurb from a reseller, so that was why I had initial concerns about the IMEI (above), even though the reseller has a good rep.
As it turns out, all was good with the phone. It was just the "fucky" CC website.

somethings_fucky_trailer_park_boys.gif

yeah ususally it just has to be an unlocked phone and you drop in the sim, thats it. thats how its worked on my last three phones anyways...
their site is probably just fucky.

I think Verizon based MVNOs are a little more sophisticated. I tried just swapping the SIM from my old phone into the new one and it wouldn't make calls. Told me that I might be the victim of fraud or some nonsense. Sounds like they check the SIM AND the IMEI before allowing access to the network in certain cases.

Back