How to Acquire a NEW Generation Card Step by Step GUIDE!!

I got ultra lucky camping Microcenter Denver on Christmas Eve morning.

get there about 5:30a, already 10 people in line.

around 8:00 they started coming out with vouchers. They had all kinds of stuff. 3070/3080/3090s and 5900x processors.

snagged an Asus Strix OC 3080 and a 5900x. First try.

I also know someone that has literally done this 14 times and never got the 3080 he was looking for. YMMV.

around 8:00 they started coming out with vouchers. They had all kinds of stuff. 3070/3080/3090s and 5900x processors.

I also know someone that has literally done this 14 times and never got the 3080 he was looking for. YMMV.
Yeah but how do you know which days to go? That's been my problem figuring out. Also in Denver.

Not saying I necessarily want to camp out for computer parts, but hey, just in case.

Yeah but how do you know which days to go? That's been my problem figuring out. Also in Denver.

Not saying I necessarily want to camp out for computer parts, but hey, just in case.
You don’t. Random, blind luck of the draw- hence my buddy that did this a dozen+ times and got nada. I’m actually up in Thornton :)

4 times here.
Got a 5600X no video card YET.
I have discord, Distill, hear drip all night but nothing. It's not impossible as many have gotten lucky but I seem to be the most unlucky.
I am off work next week M-F, as someone here stated, MC gets shipments Tuesday , Wednesday and Thursday , I will try Columbus MC Tuesday at 8AM.
I think I'm about done with this.

Taco smell funny business. What body parts did you have to 'donate', eh mate?
I didn't have to donate any body parts, but acquiring a card may have involved a goat, a bucket of live clams, and a bag of small tortillas. :p

A lot of this card snagging business is really just right place, right time. Call it luck if you like. I've had a little "luck" but only on 3090s. I bought one (EVGA 3090XC3 Ultra), then a few days ago could have gotten another (3090FE) when I checked what was in stock to respond to a post on here about the vid card shortage. I've been checking occasionally just out of curiosity and boredom. I didn't really want a 3090 just because of the price, but after a couple months of hunting I caved when I got one in my cart and actually managed to get to the submit order button during checkout.

It’s possible guys. Don’t give up. (Yes this is all my personal haul for my own use. No resale. All msrp.)

Ryzen is a 5900x

1D149EB1-3EC2-4A2B-9577-2C7157DC2AB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Taco smell funny business. What body parts did you have to 'donate', eh mate?
I just had to sacrifice one Threadripper 3960x is all. AMD felt pity for me and sent me a new one so all was not lost.

I see the MC stickers. Let's face it. That is a signifcant harder of a haul when you don't have a MC nearby. It may be theoretically possible, but highly unlikely.
The 5900x and 3080 yep, Microcenter. Xbox was Best Buy, ps5 was Kohl’s lol

Anyone know when MC Columbus gets new shipments ?
I'm trying Tuesday morning

4 times here.
I have discord, Distill, hear drip all night but nothing. It's not impossible as many have gotten lucky but I seem to be the most unlucky.

4 times here.
I am off work next week M-F, as someone here stated, MC gets shipments Tuesday , Wednesday and Thursday , I will try Columbus MC Tuesday at 8AM.
I think I'm about done with this.
You and everyone else is so unlucky.

Do you want to spend your entire week off just chasing a vid card? I know I wouldn't, much as I want a new card.

You don't need to. Just join snail monitor discord and watch for the newegg drop 4-5pm PDT. May take a while, but you don't have to sit there the entire day.

Or use a bot on amazon. Worked for me.

Good to see success stories. I have scored a few times from Newegg and most recently Best Buy. It's 100% Possible. It's been really slow lately like crazy slow. I think everyone is digesting the tariff news. Plus BTC is insane as well ETH so talk about making it tough.
Here is my haul so far boys all for personal use or close friends. Never sold a thing. It’s completely possible.
E25EE082-AC29-4736-B639-4D908B8AC29F.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to see success stories. I have scored a few times from Newegg and most recently Best Buy. It's 100% Possible. It's been really slow lately like crazy slow. I think everyone is digesting the tariff news. Plus BTC is insane as well ETH so talk about making it tough.
Here is my haul so far boys all for personal use or close friends. Never sold a thing. It’s completely possible.
View attachment 317636
Glad to see these were all for actual use and not to feed the scalper profit train. Same for mine pictured above. All in use.

Attachments

• 72A063C4-B7DB-47AC-B842-1A28C3D43B96.jpeg
    72A063C4-B7DB-47AC-B842-1A28C3D43B96.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3E6AA1D0-8246-4D86-8E7C-DE61B3CA14F5.jpeg
    3E6AA1D0-8246-4D86-8E7C-DE61B3CA14F5.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 183AE734-90CE-4919-9AC7-4D04461E4F77.jpeg
    183AE734-90CE-4919-9AC7-4D04461E4F77.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 0
I didn't read the whole thread, but when I saw "step by step" I envisioned videos of the capitol riot in the USA...

Well guys I am sad to report that if you didn't get a card in time before the tariff you might as well skip it this generation because now the retailers are scalping cards. Really sucks I am seeing 3070's selling for 800 now on Newegg I mean really?
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...rim-8g/p/N82E16814137623?Item=N82E16814137623
I got in an order for a 3080 FE from Best Buy last Tuesday for MSRP and it was supposed to arrive at the store this past Sunday. It's still showing as delayed with no new ETA. If it gets cancelled and we see no more 3080 FEs I'm out!

I got in an order for a 3080 FE from Best Buy last Tuesday for MSRP and it was supposed to arrive at the store this past Sunday. It's still showing as delayed with no new ETA. If it gets cancelled and we see no more 3080 FEs I'm out!
it just means take up another hobby. let them enjoy there games alone when they piss off the competition by force from frame advantage.

it just means take up another hobby. let them enjoy there games alone when they piss off the competition by force from frame advantage.
My plan is to stick with my 2080Ti and get a PS5 when I can if the 3080 FE gets cancelled and I can no longer get one. No way I'm paying the tariff infused pricing. I also do retro gaming. The GPU industry can go jump off of cliff right now for all I care.

My plan is to stick with my 2080Ti and get a PS5 when I can if the 3080 FE gets cancelled and I can no longer get one. No way I'm paying the tariff infused pricing. I also do retro gaming. The GPU industry can go jump off of cliff right now for all I care.
Don't worry, the new guard will take away the tariffs and we'll be back to sucking China's ta ta's in no time.

But I really don't think that is the issue. These tech companies will blame tariffs but in actuality theyre just taking advantage of the price increases across the board, once one company is shown it can get away with it, like ASUS, the others will fall in line.

Don't worry, the new guard will take away the tariffs and we'll be back to sucking China's ta ta's in no time.

But I really don't think that is the issue. These tech companies will blame tariffs but in actuality theyre just taking advantage of the price increases across the board, once one company is shown it can get away with it, like ASUS, the others will fall in line.

sucking china's tiddies doesn't hurt. We've been doing it unharmed for decades.

shit's not gonna get better, according to nvidia and amd.

stock nonexistent until the summer, at least.

The alternative is to get a 3060 laptop for $999, remove the bottom panel, and OC that bitch.

I have my laptop in tent mode uncovered....

IMG_20210114_134206.jpg

This may help some who keep striking out, don't live near a Microcenter etc. From
https://hardcoregamer.com/2021/01/1...on-oc-and-how-to-obtain-the-new-cards/395348/

Here’s what you need to do give yourself the best shot to obtain a card:

1. Visit Best Buy Online and make sure you log in and have an account. Search for whatever series of card you’re looking for. There are multiple manufacturers, but Best Buy does offer the NVIDIA Founders Edition cards.
  2. Hit SAVE on each product. All of your saved products will show up under your Cart when you go into your Cart. Best Buy will also notify you when the card becomes available. This is just a plus. Within seconds of the cards becoming available last week, Best Buy actually sent me an email letting me know of availability. This is just something for your back pocket in case you forget.
  3. Best Buy has a queue. Log on at 11:15 AM EST and start refreshing your Cart. For now, Best Buy will not ban your IP. It is generally closer to 11:25, but they could change this. The option will pop up for you to move the card to your Cart. Best Buy does releases in waves. The GIGABYTE RTX 3080 VISION OC was the one I did want, but was expensive. It was the first one that popped up, so I took it. You can move to cart for multiple cards, but it can be a gamble.
  4. During this process, DO NOT RELOAD THE PAGE AND BE PATIENT. After some time, even if it’s 15 minutes, the system will say Add to Cart. Do this.
  5. Best Buy will require you to use verification. This is part of their process of isolating bots. Enter the verification code from your email.
  6. In terms of having your bank account information, it may be quicker but I wouldn’t depend on any of this being saved. Use PayPal.
  7. I have heard that this supposedly locks you in for the card, but two weeks ago I got through the PayPal process and the card was sold out. Even so, you will be prompted for pick-up or delivery. I had the option to select delivery two weeks ago, but again, card was sold out after getting through the process and I had got a late start that day. By 45 minutes. Shouldn’t be an issue if you are there when it starts.
He indicated if you didn't read the write up, BestBuy drops every other Tuesday, next Tuesday or 1/19/21 should be the next drop of cards.

This may help some who keep striking out, don't live near a Microcenter etc. From
https://hardcoregamer.com/2021/01/1...on-oc-and-how-to-obtain-the-new-cards/395348/

Here’s what you need to do give yourself the best shot to obtain a card:

1. Visit Best Buy Online and make sure you log in and have an account. Search for whatever series of card you’re looking for. There are multiple manufacturers, but Best Buy does offer the NVIDIA Founders Edition cards.
  2. Hit SAVE on each product. All of your saved products will show up under your Cart when you go into your Cart. Best Buy will also notify you when the card becomes available. This is just a plus. Within seconds of the cards becoming available last week, Best Buy actually sent me an email letting me know of availability. This is just something for your back pocket in case you forget.
  3. Best Buy has a queue. Log on at 11:15 AM EST and start refreshing your Cart. For now, Best Buy will not ban your IP. It is generally closer to 11:25, but they could change this. The option will pop up for you to move the card to your Cart. Best Buy does releases in waves. The GIGABYTE RTX 3080 VISION OC was the one I did want, but was expensive. It was the first one that popped up, so I took it. You can move to cart for multiple cards, but it can be a gamble.
  4. During this process, DO NOT RELOAD THE PAGE AND BE PATIENT. After some time, even if it’s 15 minutes, the system will say Add to Cart. Do this.
  5. Best Buy will require you to use verification. This is part of their process of isolating bots. Enter the verification code from your email.
  6. In terms of having your bank account information, it may be quicker but I wouldn’t depend on any of this being saved. Use PayPal.
  7. I have heard that this supposedly locks you in for the card, but two weeks ago I got through the PayPal process and the card was sold out. Even so, you will be prompted for pick-up or delivery. I had the option to select delivery two weeks ago, but again, card was sold out after getting through the process and I had got a late start that day. By 45 minutes. Shouldn’t be an issue if you are there when it starts.
He indicated if you didn't read the write up, BestBuy drops every other Tuesday, next Tuesday or 1/19/21 should be the next drop of cards.

Yea, this was my biggest obstacle. All the good drops are while I'm at work. I just happened to be home the day I purchased the 3080 (i'm still waiting it to arrive, and thus will not celebrate till it's installed and works in my system).

Last edited:

The 'stimulus' that's mostly going to political insiders is devaluing the US Dollar. Bitcoins isn't going up, the dollar is going down with all the money printing. Bleh

Micro Center in Denver had 3080 Strix card listed this morning with no count of how many they had (gone now of course). The kicker? $930 + tax. (n)

Yikes. The prices are up and I really don’t think they will fully recover anytime soon if ever. Maybe if AMD and Nvidia can bring numbers but since everything sells out instantly still do they care? So ,everyone can increase margin on fewer sales or flood the market and bring margins back down on more sales. Consumers are the ones losing for sure regardless.

Stock drops has been awesome, been watching lots of people get cards and cpu's. Currently rocking a 2080ti and for what I play its awesome for now. Likely just hold off till 4000 series

Stock drops has been awesome, been watching lots of people get cards and cpu's. Currently rocking a 2080ti and for what I play its awesome for now. Likely just hold off till 4000 series
At this stage, why not wait? I mean you basically have a 3070 in performance and in some respects even better than.

Me...I want to retire my 980. I already had a 970 in the house bite the dust. I am dreading this one following suit and no stock anywhere of anything.

I encourage you to keep a eye out on stock drops and snag one as soon as you can

There did not seem to be a drop on BB this morning, just signed up for Discord, and literally within an hour had an option to buy ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 for 1899 (or over 2K with tax from official website). I could have easily gotten it as it was in stock for over 5 minutes, but I thought it was bit too much - and now its gone.

Back