How thick does a sandwich PC case need to be?

With forced air cooling and low profile coolers on the cpu and gpu, maybe. Or if it's a half-height gpu you'd probably be fine (assuming there's a slot for mounting it in the case).

If the case is small and doesn't indicate max cooler height, it's going to be 'fun'. Although other sites say this case can do a 65mm cooler. There's a lot of smaller coolers that fit that; if you get down to under 40mm, you have a lot fewer options, and under 30mm you're limited to 1U server style heatsinks, which are very limited.

I was thinking of putting the gpu flat under the MB, like the NCase.
Not possible, unless you flip the mb (maybe) and put some longer standoffs. And then you can forget about using an atx mb.

You could have it face the mb, but ram/cpu heatsink clearance may be an issue.

Ideally, you'd either use a half-height card in the slot as intended, or rotate a full height card 90 with a riser and have all airflow moving in one direction through the case. It's going to be tight, either way.

That's a terrible case to put any sort of high end components in. I had a Foxconn version of that and it was impossible to find parts for, and TFX PSUs aren't normally quiet either. My case at least had ventilation for the CPU. This one is just a solid panel.

At best you're looking at a 35W CPU, and any GPU that fits is going to run hot.

Edit:
Also, if you use the 5.25" slot, you are going to have cables coming out the rear of the drive (or whatever) that interferes with the CPU HSF. I ran a passive Intel N3150 setup in it, and it was barely worth the effort. I ended up swapping into an old mATX OEM case with a standard ATX PSU and at least a 92mm exhaust fan.

Last edited:
If you want that form factor, Silverstone has several cases, which are designed for gaming parts.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=503&area=en

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=771&area=en

https://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/product-rv.php?pid=655&area=en

https://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/product-rv.php?pid=753&area=en

Those are all basically the same case, with a different exterior

Although the Raven models have had some newer revisions for the GPU bracing

*if you buy one, pay attention to whether you are buying ATX or SFX versions of the case, for power supplies.

Last edited:
thats not designed for gaming either, its just another sff case with a bit better air flow.

thats not designed for gaming either, its just another sff case with a bit better air flow.
Those silverstone cases accomodate 13 inch, triple slot GPUs. You can get them in ATX power supply or SFX power supply versions.

As a veteran I'm trying to get a three slot GPU into a SFF case, just because it fits doesn't mean it will work optimally. It's just very difficult to get rid of the heat with high-end components in a case that size.

I tried running a 5950 and a 3090 on an nr200. One or the other would suffer. In order to get the CPU to boost well I had to run a 240mm AIO which then starved airflow to the video card. But if I switched to air for the CPU, the video card overwhelms the cooling capacity of the smallish air-cooler you have to use.

ok, maybe mid range gaming. high end stuff still runs hot in them.
A founder's edition should be perfect in the Sliger case. It has an exhaust right behind the card. So that flow through cooling would exhaust directly out the case.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
I tried running a 5950 and a 3090 on an nr200. One or the other would suffer. In order to get the CPU to boost well I had to run a 240mm AIO which then starved airflow to the video card. But if I switched to air for the CPU, the video card overwhelms the cooling capacity of the smallish air-cooler you have to use.
Why would an AIO in an NR200 starve airflow to the GPU?

I had an NR200. I didn't really like it. But airflow/general cooling capability, was not one of the the things I disliked.

A founder's edition should be perfect in the Sliger case. It has an exhaust right behind the card. So that flow through cooling would exhaust directly out the case.
maybe but show me where i said anything about that case...

Why would an AIO in an NR200 starve airflow to the GPU?

I had an NR200. I didn't really like it. But airflow/general cooling capability, was not one of the the things I disliked.

The back of my 3090 FE got hot because of the memory under the backplate on the backside of the PCB. I got the best results when I just put 120mm fans on the side to blow air across the back of the video card and the width of the AIO radiator ended up putting it over top of the video card slightly. I have a 3070 I could swap in instead, but I kind of like the idea of a small powerhouse. Maybe "starved" isn't the best word, but it wasn't as effective as not having an AIO in there.

I was thinking of revisiting it again, honestly and see if I couldn't make it work better. The NR200 isn't the best for air heatsink compatibility either though compared to something like the TU150.

Plus, I "only" have a 700W Platinum PSU (Silverstone) that I bought when the SF750 wasn't in stock. My experience has been that even 850W is pushing it with a 3090 and 5950x.

The back of my 3090 FE got hot because of the memory under the backplate on the backside of the PCB. I got the best results when I just put 120mm fans on the side to blow air across the back of the video card and the width of the AIO radiator ended up putting it over top of the video card slightly. I have a 3070 I could swap in instead, but I kind of like the idea of a small powerhouse. Maybe "starved" isn't the best word, but it wasn't as effective as not having an AIO in there.

I was thinking of revisiting it again, honestly and see if I couldn't make it work better. The NR200 isn't the best for air heatsink compatibility either though compared to something like the TU150.

Plus, I "only" have a 700W Platinum PSU (Silverstone) that I bought when the SF750 wasn't in stock. My experience has been that even 850W is pushing it with a 3090 and 5950x.
Yeah, you can't fit an NH-D15 in an NR200. But you can fit a Scythe Fuma 2 or something similar.

The NR200 has bigger problems, though. Like a terrible, useless mounting system for the top fans. And middling QC for screw hole alignment.

Yeah, you can't fit an NH-D15 in an NR200. But you can fit a Scythe Fuma 2 or something similar.

The NR200 has bigger problems, though. Like a terrible, useless mounting system for the top fans. And middling QC for screw hole alignment.

I never looked into the fuma2 because the specifications say it wouldn't fit by a couple millimeters. I have an OG fuma that definitely would fit because it's slightly smaller, but I ended up just swapping out the CPU into an ATX setup.

I agree the top mount fans are useless. I didn't have any QC issues in my case though.

I never looked into the fuma2 because the specifications say it wouldn't fit by a couple millimeters. I have an OG fuma that definitely would fit because it's slightly smaller, but I ended up just swapping out the CPU into an ATX setup.

I agree the top mount fans are useless. I didn't have any QC issues in my case though.
Well....I'm assuming the newer revision Fuma 2 fits. Its the same height as the Mugen 5 Rev. B, which does fit, even with the glass side panel (which has a millimeter or two less clearance than the regular side panel).

Back