How the heck did you get 18c?

smilepak

Weaksauce
I am really curious to know how the heck could some of you get 18c on idle through aircooling?

I've reseated the Themeraltake Big Typoon 5 times and each time wipe down the heatsink with acohol and reapplied a thin layer of AS5...the best i've gotten is 34c in a room averaging around 78F - 80F....

My voltage is 1.20 using E6400 @ 310FSB....

Air cooling can't bring temps lower than the room its in...so the room itself had to be extremely cooled (Like air conditioning in Alaska lawl) . So with that said, combine really low room temps with a really huge tower heatsink and a powerful fan...it could do that. Hell, cold boot in the morning I get 21c idle temps cause I live on a foggy hill. :D

you're temperature aren't going to get lower than ambient with air-cooling. So you're going to have get your room be lower than 18c (or 65F) to acheive it.

bleh, i was beat.

rule of thumb, when peeps on the interweb are claiming rediculous temps, they are either

A. lying to boost e-penis

B. as mentioned, left the windows to their room open on a freezing night (rather rediculous)

C. are getting inaccurate temps being reported by their system or software or improperly configured software

I once took my bro's Athlon XP 3000 outside on a cold winterday, onto the deck to see what kind of an OC I could get. I hit a 12C load, cuz it was well below freezing that day. Gave a nice extra 200mhz oc but I decided not to ever do that again as my fingers were freezing.

nobody_here said:
rule of thumb, when peeps on the interweb are claiming rediculous temps, they are either

A. lying to boost e-penis

B. as mentioned, left the windows to their room open on a freezing night (rather rediculous)

C. are getting inaccurate temps being reported by their system or software or improperly configured software
True, true.

smilepak: Did they ever mention an ambient temp? Or testing conditions?

silverphoenix said:
... Gave a nice extra 200mhz oc but I decided not to ever do that again as my fingers were freezing.
You stopped cause your fingers were cold?!?!? :eek: Where's your [H]'ness bro? :D Just grab yourself a irish coffee and bundle up! That would have been a blast! ;)

Bloodgod42 said:
You stopped cause your fingers were cold?!?!? :eek: Where's your [H]'ness bro? :D Just grab yourself a irish coffee and bundle up! That would have been a blast! ;)

Till the condensation hits. :cool:

For condensation... doesn't your chip have to be below the ambient temp?

Wouldn't it be *above* ambient in that case :confused:

Bloodgod42 said:

rofl, I don't mind its just kinda hard to OC when your fingers don't press the right keys lol.

Most of the people I know reporting Ultra low temperatures are using Gigabyte boards which simply report unusuallly low readings.

I had a gigabyte DQ6 and my E6700 @ 3.8ghz was not even 40c during 3dm06!

Once I switched to Asus, thing looked "normal" again!

Also, If I open the windows and let the cold air in for about 1 hour or so, my temperatures with an E6600 @ 3.6ghz 1.49V Thermalright Ultra 120 can go down to 35-40c idle!

i once had my venice 3200 939 running at 8c under load, but i was effectivly outside in mid winter in scotland. and i also had a vantec tornado blowing full speed over an xp90c and a duct sucking in the cold air from outside. I actually managed to kill several insects with that one and i reckon i sucked up a mouse as well

Wow... Mouse? lol...

Now, I've cleaned the odd mosquito or fly out ot my case, but christ, a mouse? I hope it didn't splatter into your HSF :eek:

weegie said:
i once had my venice 3200 939 running at 8c under load, but i was effectivly outside in mid winter in scotland. and i also had a vantec tornado blowing full speed over an xp90c and a duct sucking in the cold air from outside. I actually managed to kill several insects with that one and i reckon i sucked up a mouse as well

OH MY ODEN

haha i've gotten 13c on a sempron on a freezing ass cold night with fans running and windows open and my case panel was open too lmfao i was freezing my balls off so i just wanted to see how cold it would go lol

Back