How strict were your parents on violent videogames?

Heh, my parents pretty-much treat all video games like a massive waste of time that shouldn't be played ever. I played 'em anyways, and they generally yelled at me to go do something more productive any chance they got.

Sex & violence in video games never really seemed to bother them any more than the fact that I was playing video games at all. They already knew video games were evil - no real surprise that they also included lots of other horrible crap. :p

I'm 49 yrs old and my mother took exception when she saw me play L4D2. No, I don't live with my mother. She was visiting from Florida.

Oh the Joy of being an Adult in the glory days of games.:D

Now when my kids are playing Saints Row 3 and beating people with rubber penis bats, that disturbs me. (Trying not to laugh...)

Not strict at all. I was able to play any kind of game I want.

Since I'm Asian all I got to do was bring home A+s, get a degree then find a good paying job. LOL.

Oh and make some babies after.

Mine didn't seem to mind. They may not say have fun or nothing but no, omg wtf is that.

Haven't killed anyone.... yet.

Not at all strict, I would blame video games for my general desensitization but I grew up with the internet, rotten and ogrish. tbh nothing in games today even compares to the horrible shit I subjected my self to on those websites.

Not really strict. I remember getting GTA III for my birthday in 2nd Grade. I remember my little brother playing Vice City when he was 3. When GTA San Andreas came out it took a bit more convincing because of the sex stuff.

Now that I think about it, talk about irony: my parents couldn't have cared less about what video games I played but they snatched the TV remote from me and changed the channel if I tried to watch something like Beavis and Butthead or even the Simpsons....WTF???

Seriously.

Unrelated but, my wife complained when she saw me watching Breaking Bad with my two nieces (10-12ish). When I turned it on, one immediately said "Oh, this is the show where they cook meth!"

I left it on because a few weeks ago we watched Olympus Has Fallen as a family and people were getting shot in the head left and right. When I suggested that maybe the children should leave, they responded with "we watched this earlier with Grandma!" So we all sat and finished the movie, parents included.

Come to find out, they aren't allowed to watch Breaking Bad at home. Shrug.

I was playing Night Trap when I was 10? I dunno my parents never gave a damn, didn't have any limits at all tbh.

I wont allow my kids to play games that have nudity in them until 18. Violent games maybe 14-16 depending on my kid.

I never understand this kind of thinking. Boobies are bad, but graphically blowing some guy's brains out is fine.

Anyway, I grew up with the Atari 2600, so my parents never really had to worry about graphically violent video games. And they weren't too strict about TV/movies either.

I never understand this kind of thinking. Boobies are bad, but graphically blowing some guy's brains out is fine.

Ditto. Emptying a clip into someones face at point blank range = good, clean, fun. But mod the Sims so you see a pixellated tit, and you're in deep shit.

Worrying about games with profanity makes even less sense. If your kid didn't know every single swear before the first day of kindergarten, he learned them then.

Ditto. Emptying a clip into someones face at point blank range = good, clean, fun. But mod the Sims so you see a pixellated tit, and you're in deep shit.

Worrying about games with profanity makes even less sense. If your kid didn't know every single swear before the first day of kindergarten, he learned them then.

On an unrelated topic, being so overprotective of female boobs is the most ridiculous thing on earth. Who the fuck doesn't know what they look like anyway? We should be shading kids against blowing brains out and limbs flying all over in games, not tits. Seriously.

Not that I'm against blowing someones face off in a game, just kind of thinking out loud.

my parents were not strict, they would just step in front of the tv and mute it if nudy scenes came up. I remember my parents bought me a computer with Doom so I could study game design... it was a wise choice because I do similar things at work now and make enough dough to take them out to dinner whenever :)

one of my ex GFs was pretty strict... she absolutely hated if any animals were harmed (besides humans, screw them... she was one of those "passionate" PETA vegans, lol) and also if an attractive women showed up (in a game, on tv or real life) she'd get jealous without me even saying a word and then start to question my commitment and make ultimatums and tell me I'm cruel and heartless for not popping "the question" yet... yea, that relationship was doomed :/

my parents were not strict, they would just step in front of the tv and mute it if nudy scenes came up. I remember my parents bought me a computer with Doom so I could study game design... it was a wise choice because I do similar things at work now and make enough dough to take them out to dinner whenever :)

one of my ex GFs was pretty strict... she absolutely hated if any animals were harmed (besides humans, screw them... she was one of those "passionate" PETA vegans, lol) and also if an attractive women showed up (in the game, on tv or real life) she'd get jealous without me even saying a word and then start question my commitment and make ultimatums and tell me I'm cruel and heartless for not popping "the question" yet... yea, that relationship was doomed :/

Sweet nutsack, what the hell kind of crap is that? :mad:

My parents were never concerned with video games, as I played Wolf3D, Doom, Duke3D, etc. when they were released (I was born in 82). Like others, sex or nudity was a no-no as was music that had lots of cussing (my mom wouldn't let me buy Metallica's Load because of the first track, Ain't My Bitch).

I also started shooting when I was probably 8, and was given my first .22 at the age of 10. I also was allowed to take it out and shoot targets in our pasture as long as I picked up the shells so the horses wouldn't accidentally ingest them (don't panic liberals, I was responsible, and my parents knew it). Later I used the same Ruger 10/22 for squirrel hunting and to put down the occasional cat that took up refuge in our hay yard.

To this day, I have only been in one fight (defending myself from a high-school bully my freshman year), and have not committed any violent acts or offenses (I have had one speeding ticket, a whole four miles over the speed limit during rush hour while everyone else was also going that speed!)

I also have great parents and had a stable family life (the real fix for our society's many problems).

All the "studies" that equate violent media or violent play (aka cops and robbers) to real violence are not based in reality, only in (usually liberal academic) la-la land where inanimate objects are blamed instead of people.

Last edited:
Jesus. I guess i am old, because violent video games didn't exist when i was a kid (<18), and explicitly violent games (like the original Doom) didn't come out until i was well out of the house and living on my own.

Then again, even if violent video games had existed, i doubt they would have minded overly much, since i was shooting firearms since i was big enough to hold one, and they trusted me to know when it was appropriate to fire, and when it was not.

Plus, growing up on a farm is a violent experience that goes so far beyond what a video game can show it's not funny. When you kill (butcher) a living thing, it's a visceral thing that no video game (no matter how brutal or gorey) can touch.

My dad got me on Wolfenstein 3D and Doom when I was 7 or 8. He didn't mind what the hell we played as long as our grades didn't suck ass.

Born in '82 here and can only remember a single game my mother had problems with. It was Altered Beast for the Genesis. I could play pretty much anything but that and then I started getting into PC games like Wolf3d, Doom and Quake. She didn't care after that because I had good grades and stayed out of trouble.

We didn't have PCs when I was a kid. Hell I remember when transitor radios didn't exist. Phones had party lines back then and I'm not referring to the 1-900 numbers either. No remote TVs either. Three stations and you had to get up to turn the tv dial or turn it on or off. The world has changed a lot since the sixties. :D

We didn't have PCs when I was a kid. Hell I remember when transitor radios didn't exist. Phones had party lines back then and I'm not referring to the 1-900 numbers either. No remote TVs either. Three stations and you had to get up to turn the tv dial or turn it on or off. The world has changed a lot since the sixties. :D

So you lived in the same time period my father did. He told my brothers and I about parties and shit when I was growing up.

Although I was pretty sure that most metropolitan areas moved away from party lines by the 1960's.

So you lived in the same time period my father did. He told my brothers and I about parties and shit when I was growing up.

Although I was pretty sure that most metropolitan areas moved away from party lines by the 1960's.

Spent the first nine years of my life on a farm in the middle of no where Iowa. heh heh

Spent the first nine years of my life on a farm in the middle of no where Iowa. heh heh

My father grew up in the middle of nowhere, in Canada. To this day, my parents still live there, and they still don't have cable TV or proper broadband. They did get satellite TV and internet, but that's pretty shitty to be honest.

my parents weren't strict at all, when I wanted an M rated game, my parents would ask why I needed them to go to gamestop/blockbuster with me and after I told them, they didn't mind at all each time.

My parents didn't care what I played at all. But really when you look back the games were not much compared to today. Back when mortal Kombat 1 was a big deal.....

My parents didn't care though they weren't big fans of me playing videogames at all. Keep in mind I grew up with nintendo the concept of "violent videogames" didn't come around until I was like 20 something.

Mine weren't strict at all. My dad would occassionally join in on the violent video games too. Once I was around 14 or so I just started buying games myself though.

My parents didn't give a crap about what games we played. I had all kind of mortal combat and street fighter, Etc.

I know, it's amazing I haven't ripped off someones head with the spine still attached.:p

Still, to this day the only game that made me actually want to kill someone was TopGun on the NES. Screw you carrier landing! Screw you!

Did your TV survive the Top Gun debacle? I would have punched mine. Very hard.

My parents were more traditional than strict. However video games they had almost no control over. Back in the day I just got my own w/o them ever knowing lol

My pop knew I pirated stuff since we had a P1 (Even if he would occasionally raise a stink and grump about it), so anything he didnt want me to get, I would get anyway, he also knew that he had raised me well enough that no matter what's in a game, I know it's never to be repeated.

When I was talking to a friend about using a cat as a silencer in Postal 2, he just looked at me and shook his head a little.

When I was very young (3-5), I used to sit on his lap while we played B-17 Bomber and Bomb Squad on our Intellivision, I would point out the targets to bomb, or the wires to snip, and he would do all the hard work. Or we would watch the classic WWII movies together, and I remember watching things like National Lampoons Vacation at a young age with him. I guess I was raised that some things are no big deal as long as they stay where they should - in movies and games.

My parents got us all GTA's when they came out for the sixth gen. I was first 13 when GTA 3 came out, and my brother was 11. Yeah, they didn't care. It was cartoonish violence, anyway. My dad would laugh at some of the stuff we did on it. So far the number of murders on my belt? Zero.

My parents encouraged me to play rough sports and violent video games to ensure I didn't break out in vaginas come puberty.

Back