How stable is RAM running XMP profiles?

biggles

2[H]4U
My understanding is that running ram with XMP profiles is like running manufacturer approved overclocking. I have been running 2x8 GB sticks of DDR3 ram at 1866 mhz instead of 1600 mhz. Ram is PNY brand Anarachy PC3-14900.

My system has been randomly blue screening for a while. I have tried a bunch of different solutions. Only in the last few days did it occur to me perhaps the XMP overclock is causing the crashes.

So just wondering what other folks' experience with this is. Rest of system specs in sig.

I haven’t personally experienced ram not running @ xmp settings regardless of age. Did you double check the voltage?

I would perform a ram test outside of windows. If that passes, the ram is not the issue.

Also you could use software to read the crash dump files and see what the bsod error is.

It should be fine, so long as the CPU and motherboard support is there.

If you're booting well enough use Memtest86 to run through the RAM overnight and see what's going on. You might need more voltage, or less, etc.

I don't think that memory is made from real 1600 chips because it's PNY brand, and retail 1600 memory with heatsinks on it rarely is but instead has 1333 chips. One of those rare exceptions I've seen being 1600 Kingston HyperX Fury, and it was factory overclocked to CL9. I've never had problems running real 1600 chips at 1866, but I've usually had to overvolt them for 2133, from 1.35V to 1.50V, the latter being the standard for DDR3.

Ran 32gb xlr8 from pny @1866 for a few years and it did well. Had the heatshields. They are a small company and their ram is made in Taiwan. I believe they are located in the states.

Back