How smoothly should a Modem swap go?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am looking into replacing my families home modem (Arris TM722 leased by Comcast) with the Arris SURFboard SB6190. I have never replaced a modem before. Should it go smoothly? Just unplug it, take out the battery, disconnect all the cables, put in the new one, connect all the cables, put in the battery and plug in the power and then follow included directions to call Comcast and activate it? The odds of complications, of things not going cleanly and requiring troubleshooting low?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Comcast's activation process can be done online. Once you swap the modem (and it takes all its updates) you won't be able to surf. It'll force you to the activation page. You enter your account number and/or username & password and follow the on-screen instructions. From there your modem will take another update and you'll be good.

Comcast's activation process can be done online. Once you swap the modem (and it takes all its updates) you won't be able to surf. It'll force you to the activation page. You enter your account number and/or username & password and follow the on-screen instructions. From there your modem will take another update and you'll be good.

Awesome! Thank you!

I'd just call them and have them update your account with the new MAC, rather than trusting the automated nonsense.

So I am looking into replacing my families home modem (Arris TM722 leased by Comcast) with the Arris SURFboard SB6190. I have never replaced a modem before. Should it go smoothly? Just unplug it, take out the battery, disconnect all the cables, put in the new one, connect all the cables, put in the battery and plug in the power and then follow included directions to call Comcast and activate it? The odds of complications, of things not going cleanly and requiring troubleshooting low?

Thanks!
Sounds like your parents have phone service from Comcast? If so, then you'll need to put a coax splitter on the cable line and connect the SB6190 separately because you have to leave the TM722 for phone service. So they'll have two devices instead of one. You may need to call into Comcast support to get the new modem authorized onto your parents account, and so they can verify the phone modem will continue to work. I haven't done this with Comcast, but have with Time Warner Cable. Each time with TWC, the first line support agents have messed up the phone modem killing the phone service. Had to call back to get that fixed. Something about their billing system doesn't easily handle two modems on the account or some weirdness.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like your parents have phone service from Comcast? If so, then you'll need to put a coax splitter on the cable line and connect the SB6190 separately because you have to leave the TM722 for phone service. So they'll have two devices instead of one. You may need to call into Comcast support to get the new modem authorized onto your parents account, and so they can verify the phone modem will continue to work. I haven't done this with Comcast, but have with Time Warner Cable. Each time with TWC, the first line support agents have messed up the phone modem killing the phone service. Had to call back to get that fixed. Something about their billing system doesn't easily handle two modems on the account or some weirdness.

Thanks for the help! Actually we don't have phone service with Comcast but with Verizon. It is like $8 with Verizon and my parents don't like having the full bundle be with Comcast (or some other odd reason like that).

I trust the automated nonsense more than a Comcast tech support rep.

You'll only want to talk to "Peggy" one time. Ive had call-ins to swap modems got smooth, and I've had to be transfers to another tech and then to a supervisor who sighed and did the job herself before. When you call, it's all luck of the draw.

Called Comcast lately? Peggy for me is a girl very obviously in my geographic area who was actually able to help, and quickly. I was shocked.

The TM722 is a telephony modem, the SB6190 is not.

Does your family currently subscribe to VOIP service through Comcast?

If so, you'll likely need to upgrade to another Telephony modem like the TM822 or TM1602.

Back