How significant factor in HDD life is its steep temperature gradient?

postcd

Weaksauce
My new Seagate HDD ST16000NM001G-2KK103 manufacturer mention maximum temperature gradient should be 20°C per hour (operational and non-operational). In first 15 minutes of a runtime it is roughly 15°C up from non operational temperature 23°C.
Then on shutdown, the temperature is 50°C (maximum operational allowed by manufacturer is 60°C) and room temperature is around 23°C - i bet that the temperature gradient is worse than 20°C in one hour (estimate approx. 25°) ?

How significant problem is this for the HDD error-free life? Is it prety highly unlikely to have noticeable effect on lifespan?

When i was researching i have seen temp. gradient mentioned in a few Seagate drives and everywhere was 20°C/hour. So maybe most of the drives max. gradient is similar - so i want to ask if anyone have experience with very high temp. gradients and error-free operation for years? Thank You in advance.

Last edited:
How signifficant problem is this for the HDD error-free life? Is it prety highly unlikely to have noticeable effect on lifespan?

In my small sample size of a few hundred drives (at work) over the last 23+ years I am not sure it makes a big difference. And why I say this is the AC in the server room in several of the buildings we worked in had not worked for years and some of these years the AC was unreliable meaning it would go from freezing to a sauna in the same day. Thankfully we moved into a new building this year and the AC is brand new and working well. The largest factor I see of failure is a bad drive line. I had lots of failures of Seagate 7200.10 (or greater) 750 to 3TB models (even enterprise Constellation ES drives at the same time period). The failures seemed to be head problems and not the firmware bricking bug. All manufacturers have duds from time to time. With all of this said this could have been heat related. Temperature gradient is not an easy thing to monitor. I did monitor temperatures of many of the drives during this time. I even had the systems automatic shutdown if too many of the drives got too hot. Drives from other manufacturers in the same systems exposed to the same conditions were not failing.

Last edited:
I have pulled drives out of computers that were literally too hot to handle with your bare hand and had been running at temps like for years and years. I too find the biggest indicator of likely failure to be the drive line and most specifically saw a ton of issues with Seagate drives a couple of years ago.

Reactions: x509
like this
A few months ago I was copying some files onto an old 3TB Hitachi drive. I was being lazy, it was an open mobo, a bare drive and the data cable was running to the drive that was sitting aimlessly on top of a 20" box fan. I knew it was risky, my gut had feeling it would fall. ~10 minutes later it fell straight to the ground while it was writing. To this day there is not a single thing wrong with it. I couldn't believe it.

All drive failures I encountered in laptops were because they were too hot.
Whether thats the same scale of hot I am unsure but I recommend a fan on a PC hard drive unless it is a recent helium.
I dont like my PC drives exceeding 40C mid summer.
I have yr 2017 heliums with no fan that run cooler than normal drives with fan, they are amazing.

Last edited:
Back