How secure is linux ubuntu vs Microsoft OS??

Again from my other thread about the better OS for a slower machine leads me to another question.

If I were to install a Linux Ubuntu is there any security from being attacked? say if I was doing online backing would it be safer to stick with a windows machine or a linux machine? on a windows machine has a built in firewall (if you have service pack 2) also there are many of other 3rd party firewalls that you can install onto windows xp or windows 2000. does ubuntu offer any type of securty? and i'm sure my router has a built in firewall.

i should also mention that i dont know JACK SH!T about linux.

thanks

I'll stick with my overall answer from your other thread. In theory, Linux will be more secure, but there's really only one main issue to consider. If your friend has a problem with his PC, who will he call for help? If it's you, and you don't know anything about Linux (not an insult, neither do I), I wouldn't even consider giving him Linux. I would never give it to one of my relatives, because if there was a problem, they'd come right back to me for help...help I couldn't provide.

The odds of Linux being affected by a virus are less than they are with Windows. As far as online security, it doesn't really matter what os your using to launch a browser, ie Firefox or Opera, the threats are the same, assuming your talking about things like identity theft and such.

And I completly agree with djnes, if your going to use Linux, take some time to actually learn how to use it before you depend on it 100% as your primary os of choice. One safe and easy way to do this is install a VMWare player, and load Ubuntu as a virtual machine. Doing so will allow you to play with a fully operational Linux OS, without the fear of messing anything up.

ehhh fek it. im just going to jump into it. theres nothing i cant do. linux doesnt scare me i just wanted to know the difference in security between ubuntu and xp or 2000. but since you guys said it makes no difference on which OS you use then i guess it makes no difference.

can one of you guys recommend a link to a site where i can grab linux programs? also does all programs work for all linux? like red hat, ubuntu, mandrake knoppix? i should right?

Most Linux distros have built in application managers for installing applications. Ubuntu has a very good one.

ummm.....I would say linux is more secure then windows, however that being said good practices can mean a safer windows experience. As people have said if you cant help your friend trouble shoot linux, then don't bother. Or your friend can dual boot to see which one he prefers.

Yes, it's basically an installed application that lets you select from huge libaries of applications to install. It handles all the install procedures for you. Download a Live Ubuntu CD and try it out on your own machine.

As I Lay Dying said:
ummm.....I would say linux is more secure then windows, however that being said good practices can mean a safer windows experience. As people have said if you cant help your friend trouble shoot linux, then don't bother. Or your friend can dual boot to see which one he prefers.

completely off topic but I LOVE AS I LAY DYING!!!!

but anyway its okay people gotta learn how to use certian things sometimes in their lives right? i wouldnt be to scared if anything goes wrong with a linux box cuz again if any noob was jumpin in the water for the first time he's definately going to have to realize all consequences and problems when testing anything out. its definately not going to be my primary system i have an older machine dedicated to it just so i can learn and play around with the OS

djnes said:
Yes, it's basically an installed application that lets you select from huge libaries of applications to install. It handles all the install procedures for you. Download a Live Ubuntu CD and try it out on your own machine.

i already have the the cd its up and running. so all the applications are stored on a database somehwere and all i gotta do is just install the application i want?

killingfield1975 said:
but anyway its okay people gotta learn how to use certian things sometimes in their lives right? i wouldnt be to scared if anything goes wrong with a linux box cuz again if any noob was jumpin in the water for the first time he's definately going to have to realize all consequences and problems when testing anything out.
Yeah, why not? Ubuntu is easy to install and you might like it. In either case it gives you more perspective on your choices and the state of that current offering.

I like Linux in general, but no distro has given me a compelling reason to switch from Windows.

killingfield1975 said:
i already have the the cd its up and running. so all the applications are stored on a database somehwere and all i gotta do is just install the application i want?
That "somewhere" is an online repository, but yes, that's how it works.

pxc said:
Yeah, why not? Ubuntu is easy to install and you might like it. In either case it gives you more perspective on your choices and the state of that current offering.

I like Linux in general, but no distro has given me a compelling reason to switch from Windows.

That's why I have to keep a dual boot around. Linux for programming, web servers, and such, while Windows is for CD ripping, Photoshop, and .NET programming (and most gaming).

Ubuntu does have a firewall, by the way. In fact, pretty much every linux distro does - it's called iptables (user space interface to netfilter), which is very powerful but you gotta learn to configure it.

Also, learn to use the APT tools, like apt-get, which is one of the standard ways to install software on Ubuntu Linux.

Code:
man apt-get

should bring up the manpage for the command. I leave it up to you to read and learn about it. You might like something nicer if you don't want to be all up about the command line, so you should install something like Synaptic which is a GUI front end to apt.

Security is 95% administration. Relying on the OS to be secure "for" you is setting yourself up for a fall.

@ killingfield1975

Thats how I learned to use linux was on an older machine, I found myself liking it over windows, so I decided to dual boot on my main rig. Yes Ubuntu uses debians apt-get system, which is great. apt-get or aptitude is is done from terminal, if you wish, synaptic is the gui front end. I myself pefer using terminal and apt-get but synaptic is great. Also extra repositories can be added, sometimes applications have thier own debian and ubuntu repositories. This also means that your applications are updated, when there are updates.

and yes As I Lay Dying is amazing.........

Back