How quite are the water pumps? Kraken/CORSAIR/Thermaltake

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Zer0Cool, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Limp Gawd

Good Day,

I just finished putting together a new build and I feel a little disappointment with my liquid cooling system: Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT

I have an open case which sits on my desk Thermaltake P3 and the pump is the loudest component in my PC when GPU is idle. The pump is making a low frequency noise that can be seen in this vid here:
    I cant even hear the 3 radiator fans as much as I can hear the pump.

Do most pumps make this much noise? My temps are around 30c-60c idle/load 8700k stock/turbo boost 3.7ghz - 4.6ghz

I really like the RGB fans on the Thermaltake, but im considering trying out the: NZXT Kraken X72 or the CORSAIR HYDRO H150i PRO RGB. Both have the RGB option that I like + 360 mm length. Or I can try exchanging the Thermaltake, since I recently got it from Amazon. But I think Kraken/Hydro have lower rps on he pumps making them more quiter. I can always try and purchase the Thermaltake fans separate.

Please advise.

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

all pumps make some noise and with no fans spinning will always be the loudest component. can you not lower the rpm on the pump? I have three asetek based aios of different generations, I can hear all of them.

3. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Limp Gawd

Yes I can lower the rpm's but even at 60% I can still distinctly hear it. Dont know if I should exchange or try something else.

4. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

youll need to do some googling to try and find db or rpm specs or even contact manufacturers. but anything moving is gonna make some noise.

5. viivo

viivo Gawd

The Asetek pump in my old Corsair H110 was always somewhat noisy. The NZXT kraken x62 I'm using now is quieter by comparison though it uses the same Asetek pump, if not a newer revision. The one on my GPU is noisy as all hell, though.

If you don't have any mechanical drives, chances are you're going to hear the pumps on most AIOs if you sit near your case. Personally I've learned to tune out the light buzzing noise the two in my PC emit or I'd go insane.

6. Dermen

Dermen Limp Gawd

I have had an H55, H105, and a Fractal S24. At full speed the pumps are all loud. I've found that adjusting the pump RPM is nothing like a fan. Fans will slowly get quieter as you lower the speed. With pumps it seems like there is no difference until you hit a certain speed and then it just becomes a lot quieter. I would keep adjusting the speed lower, I think the H105 had to be run at around 40% to be quiet.

Zer0Cool likes this.
  7. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Limp Gawd

Thanks for the help guys. I got all 3 Kraken/CORSAIR/Thermaltake arriving in 2 days, doing a PC build for my brother as well. I will be able to compare the 3 models 1st hand & return what I dont want.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  8. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Limp Gawd

So in case anyone wanted to know, I fond Corsair to have the lowest noise ratio. Kraken was also fairly quite but on full speed you can tell the difference. Kraken and Corsair you can tweak the pump speeds via win software, where with thermaltake you can only do it in bios. I decided to keep the corsair :)

pendragon1 likes this.
  9. chungi

chungi n00bie

yes it does make gurgling sound from 60% pump speed. but that natural because there are fan in it....

10. kamikazi

kamikazi [H]Lite

Thanks for the information. I'm looking to buy an H55 to cool a graphics card in the near future. I had an H60 in the past and never really noticed much noise due to the other case fans drowning it out. I believe I controlled it with one of the motherboard headers in BIOS.

11. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

I went with the Corsair 150i myself since it had some of the lowest noise according to the [H] review, plus it did some decent cooling. (Would rather have lower noise as long as it cools everything okay)

12. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

I have a Corsair H110i and also a Cryorig A80. There is some noise with any of them, but it's not annoying IMO. I also have a bunch of fans, so this may help mute the sound.

At idle, I never notice anything. At full speed the Corsair is fine, though I wear headphones while gaming. The Cryorig makes a really loud buzzing sound at full speed but, again, I'm using headphones so it's not a problem.

13. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

I have installed my H150i and it's keeping the CPU in the mid-30's range temperature wise. While other AIO may cool better, I can barely hear it except when under load, and it' s not that loud even then. Had the H100i, and it is a lot quieter than that was. (At least to me ;))