How prevalent is hacking/cheating in Starcraft 2?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been wanting to get back into SC2, but I've heard that ladder hacking may be widespread, and made worse by inaction on Blizzard's part. Is this so? Anyone have any idea how prevalent cheating/hacking is on SC2 ladder?

-----

Infuriating this can't be stopped. Even more infuriating is Blizzard just shrugging it off, ignoring reports and complaints.

Are there any feasible ideas in the works to help curb this? Two ideas I've had, unsure of how feasible something like these would be:

1.) I think it'd be great if Blizzard would relegate volunteer admins/mods to monitor and patrol for this, maybe even as quasi-employees, or perhaps even as a community-wide democratic process, giving more weight to more trusted/verified users (like a karma-type system).

2.) After seeing the TeamLiquid hacker/cheater thread, what about the possibility of a community-built system to avoid cheaters? Basically, a third-party app that connects to a community-maintained database of cheaters (like the TL thread), and when laddering, the app quickly screenshots the matchup screen. It then OCRs the usernames and cross-references them with the TL cheater database. If it finds a match, it quickly cancels out of the match before it starts.

Or, even more extreme (if infeasible to cancel out quick enough), it immediately drops out of the match -- sacrificing the match, but still somewhat "punishing" the cheater in the sense that there's no gameplay at all. Although, if a cheater's incentive is purely to get a "W" with no incentive for actual pseudo-"strategic" game-play, then this latter route wouldn't suffice. But maybe Blizzard could resurrect the new-game timer that gives a few seconds to drop out of the match without incurring a loss.

Thoughts?

The reality with online cheating is either -

1) Accept it will occur and enjoy yourself anyways.
or
2) Remain blissfully ignorant regarding it.

or

True, but there's always a tipping point :)

Cheating is more detrimental to some game types than others, particularly damaging to the RTS line of games and their 1v1 nature.

Anyway, I agree with your points in general, but there's a point when the level of cheating outweighs the level of frustration and return of enjoyment. I'm just wondering if Starcraft has been overrun to that point.

Who cares about the ladder, you will never get near the top anyways.

Just play the game.

I appreciate the counsel, but it's not what I'm asking for.

It's not about reaching the top of the ladder. It's about proper matching. It's about getting appropriately matched against similarly-skilled opponents through Blizzards MMR system. If hacking is prevalent and widespread, it won't be much fun getting mopped around the majority of the time, and it'll probably turn pretty frustrating pretty quick. It'll also skew the match-up accuracy, further making a frustrating mess of online play. I'm not interested in playing a slots machine that's heavily skewed against my favor from the start.

I'm not looking for hard numbers or specifics -- I'm just curious to know, generally, how prevalent cheating/hacking seems to be on Battle.net. If it's overrun to the point where ~25-50% of matches are likely being cheated on, then it's not worth it to me to invest in general Bnet online play, and I'd probably be better off finding a private clan or friend-group to spar with.

I don't play online, but even back shortly after release I had watched a couple replays (from the PoV of the players) that showed people who would watch parts of the map that were in the fog of war and follow around units they couldn't even see. Shame if they really don't do anything about it.

You're better of posting this on blizzards own forum

"Community built anti cheat" that's a good one. Seriously, will never happen. You want to see a SC2 or MMO nerd turn into a shitbag little hitler, give him a tiny bit of power.

The last ban wave went out 2 days ago. Automated systems can catch hackers in the thousands, but some slip through the cracks, and its up to the players to report the individuals that dont get auto-banned.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/12945505136?page=1

I dont think hacking is as prevalent as it seems, nor is it anything to worry about when getting back in. Yes there is hacking, but if you run bronze-plat, there probably isnt any significant amount hacking. If they were hacking, they must really really suck to not even make it to diamond. If you havent been playing awhile, you're not going to get into diamond or higher any time soon.

Preventing hacking is like any security measure, it's impossible to have 100% security. There's no way to have a perfect system. A full community sourced anti-hack system has just as many flaws. People are just as likely to report someone when they lose. There are games (SC2 and otherwise) where people accuse me of hacking. The fact is I was just better than them, I have never hacked any competative multiplayer game, I win or lose because of my own skill.

If you look further into the thread, the CM's talk about the main avenue for reporting hacks. They take them seriously, but its policy that they dont respond about specific players.

The last ban wave went out 2 days ago. Automated systems can catch hackers in the thousands, but some slip through the cracks, and its up to the players to report the individuals that dont get auto-banned.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/12945505136?page=1

I dont think hacking is as prevalent as it seems, nor is it anything to worry about when getting back in. Yes there is hacking, but if you run bronze-plat, there probably isnt any significant amount hacking. If they were hacking, they must really really suck to not even make it to diamond. If you havent been playing awhile, you're not going to get into diamond or higher any time soon.

Preventing hacking is like any security measure, it's impossible to have 100% security. There's no way to have a perfect system. A full community sourced anti-hack system has just as many flaws. People are just as likely to report someone when they lose. There are games (SC2 and otherwise) where people accuse me of hacking. The fact is I was just better than them, I have never hacked any competative multiplayer game, I win or lose because of my own skill.

If you look further into the thread, the CM's talk about the main avenue for reporting hacks. They take them seriously, but its policy that they dont respond about specific players.

Awesome, thanks for this. And good to know.

You can't.

No matter how much Blizzard tries they will never get rid of "Hacking" / Cheating in their games. Just like when they vowed Diablo 3 would never be hacked, I see ads all the time offering "Power leveling" Services. If its on the Internet. It will at some point be hacked.

In my experience hacking is widespread.

How else do I get bet in almost every single game?

Mostly by some guy named AI, I reported him but I keep having to play him.

WTF Bliz?

In my experience hacking is widespread.

How else do I get bet in almost every single game?

Mostly by some guy named AI, I reported him but I keep having to play him.

WTF Bliz?

Totally, he even gives you a choice of how much hacking you want him to use: from easy to insane, ITS LIKE A COMPUTER IS DOING ALL THE MOVES.

or

or
option #3, become better than most of the casual cheaters, and simply leave games when a cheater is completely breaking the game dynamics.

Back