How powerful are tablets now?

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
This was brought up in another thread, but figured i'd ask the ones that are more familiar with the hardware side.

If you were to compare the upcoming tablets like Tegra 3 and OMAP 5430, what console platform would they be comparable to? PS1? Saturn? Gamecube? Wii?

Also, how are they to desktops in potential? Atom? Celeron 900? Athlon 3200? ATI 9800? TNT2?

A Tegra 3 uses a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore operating at 1.3 GHz in multi-core mode, 1.4 Ghz in single core mode. It's roughly equivalent to Intel's Core 2 Duo T7200 mobile (laptop) targeted CPU as far as performance chops are concerned. (Not too shabby for a tablet.) The Wii's ‘Broadway’ CPU only runs at 749 MHz. I'd rank the Tegra 3 well ahead of a Wii. What's going to be available in a tablet form factor in another 5-10 years from now will probably blow our minds...

When it comes to powerful tablets x86 is going to become a bigger part of the picture. Google is working on ICS for x86 and of course there's Windows 8.

The most powerful general consumer tablet to come out this year was probably the Samsung Series 7 Slate power by the i5-2467M, the same CPU/GPU in the base model Macbook Air 11. 4 GB of RAM standard, 64-128 GB SSD, 11.6" 1366x768 resolution screen, again like the MBA 11. Up to 7 hours of battery life though typical use gets about 5 to 6 in a .5" thick 1 pound 15 ounce package.

Unfortunately its pricey but this running Windows 8, and to some extent even Windows 7 does everything, works like a touch tablet with the addition of a digital pen, works like a desktop/laptop in the dock with keyboard and mouse and can drive an external monitor and even a wireless display.

With Ivy Bridge we should see a nice jump in battery life and GPU performance. But again I imagine a device like that will be expensive. I don't know what the market will be for devices like this, the S7S has done well in the Windows Tablet PC niche that's willing to spend the money on devices of this nature. I could see higher end Windows 8 devices like this competing in the ultrabook world very nicely. But there definitely need to great Windows 8 x86 devices like this at the $500 price point and lower.

You can't compare MHz directly between ARM SoCs and typical desktop/laptop CPU... Not even remotely, and that's even obviating the fact that the typical tablet today runs a much lighter mobile OS (though Win8 will make a big push unto tablets soon). Subjectively speaking, my Tegra 2 tablet feels more responsive than any Atom netbook, even tho technically speaking I don't think it's any faster... The fast response is obviously mostly due to the fact that it's running Android, it's running entirely off flash memory, and you interact with it in a more direct way. I can definitely get a lot more done on my netbook tho...

Despite having the Trasnformer's keyboard dock and everything, I think it's fine for email and stuff but if I have to redact any sort of long document I'd pick up the netbook or sit on my desktop. If I have to work while traveling I take the netbook, if I don't I take the TF with it's kb dock. A Win8 talbet might or might not bridge that gap... It's not gonna happen in the short term imo.

The TF is definitely a lot more comfortable to kick back with on the couch and whatnot, it's certainly not a necessity for anyone but it's a nice luxury and there's room to drive the prices down on these things as low as $200-300 as evidenced by recent discounts and the Fire/Nook. I got my TF for $300 over the summer during an Office Depot promo, I don't think it's worth more than that.

I think whether Win8 tablets succeed or not will hinge largely on how much of that current tablet comfort they can replicate without driving the cost too high. They'll obviously be more capable off the bat even when running on ARM hardware, MS will surely have an Office port ready to go and other stuff will slowly get ported (and new apps will be made). All that will be pointless if they're heavy or lacking in battery life or noisy, etc. Ultimately tablets are still a luxury imo and most people still need a laptop before they need a tablet. Hybrid devices like the TF are blurring the lines but we're a few gens away from being able to fully realize that whether it's top down or bottom up.

It's really all about tradeoffs... Current Android/iOS tablets actually have better displays than the majority of laptops, and better battery life... But they're obviously less capable. Win8 tablets might be able to have it all but I don't think they'll come anywhere near $500 for now (and Android tablets will eventually inch lower than that). Tablets are a tough sell as it is imo (to a lot of people), drive the price higher and they become very niche.

I'm looking at the new quad core Android tablets tho and I'm wondering what I'm really gonna be able to do with one of those that I can't already do... Better games I guess, and better video handling but that's only because NV crippled that aspect on Tegra 2. I think the spec race is gonna slow down soon (except for displays, since Apple's still pushing to raise the res) and the mobile OS tablet prices will start to slip, which will give Win8 tablets room to move in if MS doesn't screw up.

Tegra 3 is pretty weak GPU wise. It’s slower than an Iphone 4s and massively slower than an almost year old ipad2.

I would say Apple’s phone and tablet products are a little weaker than an x360 but around Xbox 360 level based on Infinitely Blade 2. Everyone else’s tablets are around Xbox 1 level, perhaps a little weaker.

EDIT: Tablets are well beyound Atom, Dreamcast or TNT level.
EDIT: http://uk.gamespot.com/infinity-blade-ii/videos/infinity-blade-ii-visuals-video-6346438 One of the best looking tablet games. Should prove tablets are well beyound an Xbox 1.

Last edited:
I know they are catching up/surpassed on the games but a 1.3ghz atom processor would blow all the tablet processors out of the water in office apps. simple office apps like Quickoffice hd and the likes run like shit on tablets, complex office programs like ms office 2010 (massive spreadsheets in particular) on intel atom works great. Give me a shout when tablets are out of the office replacements, ie cad, photoshop, ms office suite etc.

games so far as I've seen on tablets are pretty horrid. Graphically, there are some gems like Infinity Blade and some others, but an entirely touch-screen interface is extremely limiting. You get very shallow gameplay.

They need to put out more strategy type games or tactical RPGs--those games can use a touch-screen interface and not lose anything in the process. TBH I'm pretty shocked that there aren't a ton of these games on tablets. There are a few, but they're hard to find due to being buried under 1000 Angry Birds and Cut the Rope clones.

As far as power, the new tablets are actually pretty damn powerful. We're not talking modern desktop power, mind you, but, hell, most people don't even come CLOSE to taxing modern desktops anyway.

The guys in the games section aren't gonna like the replies i got in this thread :p

Well, control type isn't much of an issue since they do support external game controllers. We've got a lot of people buying wii motes even tho they don't have wii consoles. I'd expect games to support both, much like how PC controls can be mapped from joystick/mouse/keyboard interchangeably. Screen isn't a problem either since HDMI is pretty much standard now as well. Native screen resolution is already higher than 720p.

Graphically, as console users continiously bring up in PC vs Console debates. Uber graphics aren't everything. So i'm guessing there's a point where graphics are sufficient enough for the gameplay (powerful enough to adequately represent any game concept graphically) and that the tablets have already passed it.

Non-gaming wise, i've had three netbooks with various chipsets (VIA, Atom, Congo), and even the slowest one was enough to run my windows applications (I sold the VIA before i got Win7, but the Atom has it installed now). So processor wise, the ARM tablets should be able to handle it as well, developers are still figuring out how to write software for it tho, but the capability is there.

On another note, using netbooks since they came out made me think about how much CPU we really need. The netbook i'm using now is actually faster than the desktop i used for 3D rendering several years ago. To say that you need a faster CPU would be like saying MS Office uses more CPU than 3D Studio Max.

Last edited:
I've got both Bluetooth and USB game pads that work with my tablet, heck the BT one works with my phone... The thing is, the vast majority of games don't support it. Only time I ever use either is with SNES and N64 emulators. There's definitely huge untapped potential there between gamepad support and HDMI out.

The term "tablet" ONLY refers to a devices form factor, nothing else. While the vast bulk of today's tablets are ARM touchscreen slates, higher end x86 ones are ultrabook performance level PCs. That can do all that ARM tablets can do plus all that PCs can do. They are heavier and not as battery life capable, but they did made big strides in both areas this year with the introduction of Sandy Bridge and should make just as much progress, perhaps even more with Ivy Bridge.

Yeah Ivy Bridge's lower TDP should be huge for Win8 tablets... If ultrabook pricing is any indication tho, they're all gonna be 2x the price of any ARM tablet. Makes them a very niche product for the time being imo, most people would just get an actual laptop for the price (or even a cheap Llano system for 1/2 as much). OTOH, someone like ASUS could come in with a very clever hybrid design like the TF and make a killer laptop that also happens to double as a tablet...

I'd trade in my TF and netbook for something like that, unfortunately I may need a larger & more powerful laptop (than my netbook) before any of that happens...

@heatlesssun
True, but in this context, we're referring to ARM devices. As much as we'd like x86 tablets (It's the only one 100% compatible with our work PC's), it's way beyond our price range. And no, surplus, refurbs and 2nd hands don't count.

Again, the only way we'll be able to get our hands on a tablet form factor is with an ARM device, not an x86 unless there's an x86 tablet out there with the battery life and weight of an ARM tablet that's under $500.00. ARM tablets are the only kind we can realistically look forward to.

Indirectly related to the OP original question is a CRITICAL point users are still uncertain...

1. Do you need to run constant Antivirus Software on Windows 8 Tablet?
2. The moment you start massive background check by some of the more "demanding" antivirus software, the performance tanks.

3. And the issue will become heavily apparent when other iOS/Android/MeeGo/Bada/Linux tablets are managing power by various power-saving schemes and system-level balancing while the Windows 8 tablet is busy doing daily antivirus scan of 80GB disks taking the battery runtime together with it...

@heatlesssun
True, but in this context, we're referring to ARM devices. As much as we'd like x86 tablets (It's the only one 100% compatible with our work PC's), it's way beyond our price range. And no, surplus, refurbs and 2nd hands don't count.

Again, the only way we'll be able to get our hands on a tablet form factor is with an ARM device, not an x86 unless there's an x86 tablet out there with the battery life and weight of an ARM tablet that's under $500.00. ARM tablets are the only kind we can realistically look forward to.

Yes the better x86 tablets are very expensive compared to ARM devices but they are in the same price range as ultrabooks. If one does actually need a full computer and wanted a tablet as well, an x86 tablet doesn't become that expensive of a proposition really. With a keyboard dock like the old HP TC1100 or the current Asus Transformer you end up with one device that can function as a laptop, desktop and tablet and that uses all the same programs, accessories and peripherals.

Let's say we're talking about a college student. Lets say a top of the line "prosumer" Windows 8 tablet runs about $1200 which is about what they run today. Let's say it has a detachable keyboard or dock so that it can double as a laptop and has the ability attach to an external monitor. With Windows 8 you have access to any desktop programs and tablet apps. Get it at about 1.5 to 1.8 lbs and 8 hours of battery. Then throw in a digital pen so that you now also have the ultimate note taking device.

This device doesn't exist today but Samsung got pretty close with the Series 7 Slate. Yes expensive upfront but the device does everything, no limits, no need for another device. Yes expensive upfront but with all things considered maybe not as much as the stickier would indicate. I think that these kinds of tablets can do as well or better than ultrabooks.

Indirectly related to the OP original question is a CRITICAL point users are still uncertain...

2. The moment you start massive background check by some of the more "demanding" antivirus software, the performance tanks.

3. And the issue will become heavily apparent when other iOS/Android/MeeGo/Bada/Linux tablets are managing power by various power-saving schemes and system-level balancing while the Windows 8 tablet is busy doing daily antivirus scan of 80GB disks taking the battery runtime together with it...

Umm, no. I'm running MSE on my Windows tablets and there just isn't this kind of hit, there's no performance tanking and MSE is built into Windows 8. No one is going to run the crap you're describing when a solid, free and light version is already there. And why would you do a full disk scan on battery? Eventually you have to plug even an iPad up and let it charge.

Last edited:

That's ancient history. "demanding" background checks have been a non-issue since Win7's MSE.

HI, that's good to know as well per Microsoft Security Essential

1. Hence are we seeing by default Windows 8 ARM Tablet will only need to deal with MSE? Maybe this is easier since supposedly there is no desktop-mode so MS can completely manage the experience.

2. Windows 8 x86 Tablet still can support desktop mode. Are you saying all x86 Windows 8 tablet users to run on MSE from Windows 8 onward ? Other notable Windows antivirus vendors?

2. Windows 8 x86 Tablet still can support desktop mode. Are you saying all x86 Windows 8 tablet users to run on MSE from Windows 8 onward ? Other notable Windows antivirus vendors?

All the good anti-malware products are pretty light and unobtrusive these days but MSE is free and very good. Most people simply don't need anything else. I'm not saying MSE is the ultimate anti-malware product, simply that it will work perfectly for most people. It's been perfect on my Windows tablets.

Resource hogging AV is a thing of the past imo, only time I ever hear of it is during Mac commercials... :p But seriously, even Norton (the poster child for this behavior some four years ago) is surprisingly slimmed down these days... It's actually one of the lighter suites out there, consuming something like 20MB under a single process. It doesn't run scans on battery or when you're gaming, heck it even suppresses all non crucial alerts under those conditions. MSE is another great alternative, there's several. McAfee's still a POS tho...

Hi, I read the PassMark Software published pdf file from indirect wikipedia reference.

"2012 Consumer Security Products Performance Benchmarks (Edition 1)"

Test System
Windows 7 (64-bit) System
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core @ 2.67GHz
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
Motherboard: Intel x58 Motherboard
RAM: 6GB DDR3 RAM
HDD: Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM
Network: Gigabit (1GB/s) switch

Boot Time test takes between 28.9sec to 38.2 sec
Bench 16 PE Scan Time test takes between 30.95sec to 168.74 sec (2076 Mbyte)

1. Considering the firepower of a Core i7 920 and X58 RAM bandwidth, how does that translate to an ARM-based mobile environment if similar thing is needed?

Trying to understand crude relative time in mobile environment when Windows 8 tablet shows itself.

The other reason is frequent posters' comment about how powerful x86 core in comparison to mobile processor. If a powerful core takes X-sec, relatively how much longer will it need to do in the mobile environment if consumer security product is requirement.

Obviously you know my intention of asking such question. If the running times becomes unusual, it becomes a consideration in pure ARM mobile environment.

Back