How picky are supermicro boards about ram?

WestSidaz

Limp Gawd
Heya!

I have been searching for DDR3 ECC ram for Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x9drd-7ln4f.cfm
board and i cannot decide what to get.. How picky are these about ram and manufactorer? i am looking 128GB of ECC DDR3 1333MHz or 1600MHz ram and not sure what to get.. Hynix? Samsung? What else? What does these supermicros take?
And why ecc? Because i am building a snapraid system and recommended ram was ecc so i would like to go with that path.. :)

I have an X9DRI-F.. bought it as a combo
Came with Hynix 8GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 12800R modules. Part# HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB T8 AE.

32GB total. Working well. You can check their website for a list of confirmed compatible modules. Other than that I'm not sure if any brands work better than others for SuperMicro.

Thanks for the replys! Gotta look more carefully what to get.. i dont wanna spend poop loads of money for something that dosnt work in my system and if it comes from murica, it even adds more money to it because of customs..

Kingston and Crucial have never done me wrong when populating racks of Dell hosts.
Granted my Dell vendor doesn't like it, but test before you push them into your hot pool.

In my experience they're not picky at all. I have a DRD with 3 different brands of RAM (128GB total) it's been running 24/7 for at least 2 years and never had a glitch of any king. I bought the memory off eBay over the course of 6 months or so and always bought the cheapest irregardless of brand. I also have several X8 boards and they're the same. So, nope, not picky at all.

In my experience they're not picky at all. I have a DRD with 3 different brands of RAM (128GB total) it's been running 24/7 for at least 2 years and never had a glitch of any king. I bought the memory off eBay over the course of 6 months or so and always bought the cheapest irregardless of brand. I also have several X8 boards and they're the same. So, nope, not picky at all.
Dude, we have almost 20 years of Bushisms and you still say "irregardless"...? Regardless you should stop doing it and heed this message.

I buy a lot of Supermicro server boards. I've stuck to their authorized RAM list over the years mostly because of their support. If you run into problems with the board that's the first thing they want to know and won't really help you if you're not on their approved RAM list. But... that's server boards. I have no real idea about their consumer grade boards.

I stick to the tested memory list with all our supermicro builds as well. Saving a few hundred dollars isn't worth the time or headache of trouble shooting some crazy quirky incompatibility. Especially when customer's are always in a hurry.

Last edited:
I know some of the older X8 boards are pretty picky but it seems the X10 series is a little easier to source good sticks for. The Rangeley and Avoton mini-ITX boards are a pain b/c they're so-dimm =/

Back