How pc gamers justify the cost of keyboards and mice

Kalmado

Limp Gawd
A little back story. I've only been pc gaming for about a year and a half. I play an array of games but am not hardcore about anything specific. I've used consoles over the last 20 years and still like to use a controller while gaming. In fact, bought a PS4 controller for the pc.

Recently I've tried playing games that do not have native controller support. While I could use Pinnacle Game Profile for controller support I'm trying to use k&m. I have a basic Lite-On multimedia keyboard and an unopened Rosewill 'gaming' keyboard(really just MM with colored WASD). I have a basic Cobra mouse with a few extra buttons. So far it's not as difficult as I thought, but using the k&m got me thinking about all of the expensive models out there.

I'd like to throw out some questions to the community for information gathering. This may lead me to make a new purchase.

-What keyboard do you use? Cost? Why did you choose it?
-Same as above, but for mouse

It's one of those things that you didn't know you were missing until you actually tried it. That's the best way I can describe it.

Same thing happened to me when I picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990's. Up until then the only thing my ears heard were Beats.

For my I just picked up the Ducky Mini Year of the Horse edition. $189 from Mechanical Keyboards. Got it because I wanted more desk space.

Razer Deathadder 2013 for my mouse. I like simple mice nothing too complicated. Also a very popular mice among CS:GO players. Think the latest model goes for around $60-$70.

Once you go mechanical, and find the keys you like you're not going back to a mush keyboard. (The MAC wireless keyboard is nice too, those are even more $$ for a nice PC version)

As far as a mouse goes... I still use a MS Intellimouse 3.0 for my dekstop since it fits the hand so nice, and sometimes a Logitech G7 because I had like 6 of them over the years until I couldn't find them anymore. I then got a new gaming mouse with super high resolution, and turned down my windows speed and let the mouse do the work... OMG so much better than having it 100% speed in windows.

I have a quickFire rapid and duckyshine both work great, but eventually I'll get another Ducky just to have the backlight :)

I don't use gaming-specific hardware. Never have, because if my hands are comfortable, that's all that matters. And you can find a pretty comfortable keyboard without mechanical keys, and I'm happiest with no-frills mice.

I started out on an IBM Model M back in the 90s, but find I didn't like the noisy keys, so I actually prefer quiet keyboards now (but I buy something more than the cheapest model, as those ten dollar things have no feedback at all) :D

If I played more mmos or twitch FPS games I might be able to justify the faster response and larger button set of a gaming mouse, but otherwise they just get in the way. Most non-mmo games don't have that many controls I want to map.

Last edited:
It's not at all hard for me to justify spending money on a mouse and keyboard. You're touching them almost 100% of the time while you're using a computer, so it makes sense to buy ones that you like using. You don't need to spend big bucks to do that.

I have two mechanical keyboards - a 'starter' Monoprice 'board and a tank of a Cherry G80 with doubleshot keycaps that I bought for $60 on eBay. The Monoprice keyboard feels cheap, but it did let me get a feel for mechanical switches. The G80 is a joy to use. It has solid, heavy keys and a nice, linear feel.

I have a Logitech G400S mouse. It's basically a new MX518, which many people regard as one of the best optical mice of all time. The MX518/G400S have everything that I need - excellent tracking, a comfortable shape, and enough buttons.

Mouse and keyboard are pretty much like the tires and suspension of a car. If you are driving it on a track it will do worlds better than just solely upgrading your motor or in the case of computers, your ram, GPU or CPU.

PC gaming is a hobby just like anything else. Paying more for a keyboard or mouse is no different than buying upgraded golf clubs, or nice poker chips, or a stiffer suspension part. Only you can decided if you have the means to upgrade and if a specific upgrade is worth it.

I don't use gaming-specific hardware. Never have, because if my hands are comfortable, that's all that matters. And you can find a pretty comfortable keyboard without mechanical keys, and I'm happiest with no-frills mice.

I started out on an IBM Model M back in the 90s, but find I didn't like the noisy keys, so I actually prefer quiet keyboards now (but I buy something more than the cheapest model, as those ten dollar things have no feedback at all) :D

If I played more mmos or twitch FPS games I might be able to justify the faster response and larger button set of a gaming mouse, but otherwise they just get in the way. Most non-mmo games don't have that many controls I want to map.
This is how I feel with how I game which makes it difficult to justify the cost. I do play some FPS online games, but it's strictly for fun. The one irritation I do have since trying to play more with the k&m is that 'mush' feeling people talk about with my cheap keyboard. I'm going to try the Rosewill tonight so we'll see. I"m sure it will be more of the same.

What are peoples opinions on the retail cost of an entry level "good" keyboard? Specific make & model? Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

Comfort trumps everything else. Your mouse and keyboard are the major input devices on a computer, so they better accommodate your needs well.

Somewhere down the line of attempting to find the perfect mouse and trudging through countless options, I realized I had already it found before.. my original MX518. This realization occurred when I pulled it out of a shelf and other than it clearly skipping/malfunctioning (heavily used), it still felt just right in my hand. Picked up the G400 and haven't bothered looking at anything since. Lots of time was spent researching different options and I believe I even made a thread here about brands such as Roccat and the like, back when they were just emerging.

Keyboard wise I've had a Filco tenkeyless (mx red) for years and have no interest in switching to anything else. Picked up a backup one a couple months ago, since they are so cheap due to availability and mx reds being all over the place now.

Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000RE, $25 New , I got it because it was a good deal and i liked the thought of Cherry MX Reds for gaming. I came from a Z-board (rubber dome).

Mouse: Logitech G400s, $26 New, Got it because I wanted a flawless sensor (or as close to flawless as possible), 1000hz polling for my 144hz monitor, and it was on sale. Came from a Logitech MX518, liked the shape of the mouse and G400s being the exact same shape made it an easy choice.

The keyboard of choice for me is a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.... because I like the layout of the keys, it's a good price, and I actually do work on that keyboard, not just gaming.

Logitech Orion cause it's prefect.... 179.99 on ebay and BestBuy it's sold by Best Buy on ebay.

I like it for the funky keys and backlighting not sure If it helps in gameplay but it might.

Mechanical keyboards are not for everyone. I'm a writer and spend as much as 12 hours/day (depending on deadlines) pounding on my keyboard. I'm a terrible typist on mech boards. My accuracy/speed is so much better on scissor-switch boards like my HP Elite V2 ($35) and SIIG Aluminum ($60).

For gaming, however, a mech board is superb. I use a CM Storm Quickfire TK w/Brown switches, white backlight. I spent $90 on it and have no regrets at all. My gaming mouse (actually use it for everything) is an old school Razer Diamondback that's still working great after all these years. I'll weep the day it finally meets its end.

I don't like being overly frugal when it comes to comfort during long gaming sessions.

I use the Razer Orbweaver as my keyboard, and the Razer Naga for my mouse. I have enough keys to cover my gaming needs between both devices, and I feel that the Orbweaver is extremely comfortable for long gaming sessions.

Not everyone would like this setup, though it works really well for me.

My 2 cents is get a quality mouse if you play FPS and / or strategy / MOBA games. The difference in accuracy of a good 500hz or 1000hz capable mouse with no acceleration, properly dialed in is huge. If you are playing 3rd person console ports / single player games only, it matters less.

Keyboard is much more of a personal thing. If I was budget conscious, I would definitely upgrade the mouse, follow a few tweaking guides (game specific, but usually the good ones cover the OS basics as well) to make sure you have everything setup right. A good mouse can easily be had for $50-60 (and less), which is the same price as a console controller, so I don't think much explanation is needed as to the why on this one.

It's funny because the people who claim mouse and keyboard make all the difference, then I see people getting headshot after headshot in games that use clunky old hardware... It's all preference though. Hardware can help a smige, but if you don't have skills, then you will still suck.

Keyboard
– I use a Cooler Master Novatouch TKL.
– I didn't pay for mine (I was a tester for Cooler Master). MRSP is €179.
– I chose it over my Cherry MX boards because I have a preference for the feel of Topre and I still have Cherry MX keycap compatibility.

Mouse
– I use a Zowie AM.
– I paid €50.
– I chose it because at the time I was looking for something that was more or less a modern WMO 1.1a.

I think it's important to chose input devices that make you feel comfortable using your computer, and even better; help avoid any type of injury. Some of them might be expensive, but these are what we use to interact with our computers on a daily basis. A lot of us spend hundreds, sometimes thousands of [insert your local currency here] on individual hardware components that are, if not obsolete, outdated within a couple of years, whereas good quality input devices, if taken care of, will outlast that span of time and retain their qualities (this is more true for keyboards than mice, in my experience).

It's funny because the people who claim mouse and keyboard make all the difference, then I see people getting headshot after headshot in games that use clunky old hardware... It's all preference though. Hardware can help a smige, but if you don't have skills, then you will still suck.
Hardware only helps in the sense that it will not hinder ones capacities/potential, but it will certainly not make one better. Anyone who holds such claims in reference to performance are saying a load of nonsense.

Last edited:
I can't and don't even try to justify why I keep buying fancy gaming keyboards. This is a hobby I do for fun and these are basically all toys for me and so I'm a sucker for all the play pretties on keyboards especially if they're back lit. It's not all fluff tho as gaming keyboards will tend to be very well built and last a long time so that is something I guess but mainly I buy them because they look cool and are fun to play with.

However while keyboards don't make any difference in games, gaming mice very easily can. The sensors on good gaming mice are near surgical and with all the custimazation options you can do, you can set it up til it's perfect for you. So functionally there is an argument to be made for spending more on a good gaming mouse.

I still haven't been able to justify the purchase of my Razer Mamba. It looks cool, that's about it.

My compact mech. keyboard though? It was well worth the money. It fits my tiny-ass hands perfectly. I believe it's called the CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Ultra FTW Pwnage Edition, or something.

Great little keyboard.

Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000RE, $25 New , I got it because it was a good deal and i liked the thought of Cherry MX Reds for gaming. I came from a Z-board (rubber dome).

Mouse: Logitech G400s, $26 New, Got it because I wanted a flawless sensor (or as close to flawless as possible), 1000hz polling for my 144hz monitor, and it was on sale. Came from a Logitech MX518, liked the shape of the mouse and G400s being the exact same shape made it an easy choice.

I see someone else grabbed one of the Rosewill RK-900RE's on the Newegg combo from about 2~yrs ago.... I got mine with a pentium D for $25 is that the same deal you got?

the RK-9000 sits in it's box it is my back up...

I use a WASD V1 MX-Brown w/ dampers cost about $170~ shipped i guess (it was a gift so... easy to justify the cost there ??? :D) the stock keycaps started to shine pretty bad so I have since put on PBT keycaps i got on ebay for $25~

my mouse is a Steelseries Sensei MLG i got on sale for $50

how to justify ...like any hobby you want nice equipment to enjoy your hobby.. I also work from home and this keyboard/mouse combo is good for that also.

Mechanical keyboards are great... I enjoy typing on it and like the clicking noise, for me that was worth the cost! Not sure my Zowie FK mouse is worth the £60 I paid for it but its pretty good anyway.

my mechanical keyboard is so easy to use, despite my severe muscular dystrophy and lack of most strength, def allows me a much better gaming experience :)

I spend hours each day at my PC so I justify it as a matter of usage and comfort. Whatever "I" feel works simply works.

Money is my problem to deal with. That's my logic.

I'm using a Gen 1 Logitech G15 purchased release day. I bought it because of the features it had which back then were not really anywhere else. I still use it because it wont break and is 100% perfectly fine. Hard to tell its got that many years of use on it.

My mouse is currently a Corsair M80. I had the G5 previously (which I still use at work). I switched because the G5 pads were worn down, the paint was coming off and after prolonged gaming it hurt my hand. I picked the M80 due to the aluminum construction adding nice weight, the button options and the quality of it. I dont use all of the buttons and I wish Windows could see more natively but I love this thing. Drivers are mediocre but easy to use and the hardware is really good.

PC gaming is a hobby just like anything else. Paying more for a keyboard or mouse is no different than buying upgraded golf clubs, or nice poker chips, or a stiffer suspension part. Only you can decided if you have the means to upgrade and if a specific upgrade is worth it.

Nicer poker chips won't help at all with the game though. The other 2 are valid comparisons
though.

I bought a razer gaming mouse and despite changing the sensitivity it would still lose its mind when a spec of dust got within 10 feet of it. Now it sits in a box

I use a Corsair K70 keyboard with brown switches and a Logitech G700s mouse.

My only quest is maximum comfort over time. I spend unhealthy amounts of time in front of my PC and don't need sore hands/wrists.

I may go back to a Mionix mouse. My Naos 5000 was the most comfortable mouse I've ever had. The 700s isn't bad, though.

Honestly if you're used to using a controller most of the time, one mouse is not going to be vastly different from another for you except for from a comfort perspective. Same is true for keyboards. I'd walk into a Best Buy, see which mouse and keyboard you like resting your hands on (and typing on) and get those.

Personally however, I always enjoyed the tactile feedback of mechanical switches, which is why I bought my Corsair K70. And my mouse, a Corsair M65, was just kind of a crap shoot in the fact that I didn't know if it was going to be comfortable, but I'm happy with it, although I sometimes do miss the "unlockable" scroll wheel and bigger body on Logitech mice. And I won't lie and say that looks didn't factor into the equation, that is a factor for the majority of us computer nerds, whether they'll admit it or not.

Do they make me a better gamer? Doubtful, I'm sure my stats would be the same in BF4 with a $15 mouse and keyboard combo, but I like the feedback, comfort and features they give me.

Justify the cost by the fact that mice and keyboards will usually last longer than the computer you bought it for. Besides, there's nothing worse than holding an uncomfortable mouse for hours on end.

I enjoy typing. I write for university and for my pleasure (whether on forums or writing novels or anything in between). Because of that, I started looking into mechanical keyboards a few years ago. Started with a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (first gen, with actual Cherry MX Blue switches) and found it quite a pleasure to type on. Then I moved on to a CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid also with Blues as I wanted something much smaller but still tactile. Then, I heard CoolerMaster would be releasing a Rapid Stealth (front-print keys rather than top) with Green switches and I ordered it day of release. I'm still using that keyboard to write this right now. Writing on it is just wonderful. I like how stiff the keys are, allowing me to rarely bottom out when typing and just giving a really good feeling for me. I have a Ducky Shine Zero with Reds that I also have hooked up for games (especially when they need the keypad) but I just have great difficulty typing on Reds. I'm just too used to tactile switches at this point. As far as cost of the primary with Greens, that was $130.

For a mouse, for years I used a Logitech G5. Amazing mouse, still works and I sold it recently. I'm still waffling on its replacement as I've liked both I bought: Logitech G302 and Corsair M65. I've been using the G302 most though. I know it's not the best mouse, but, I've found it comfortable and has the features I want. And, importantly, it doesn't have the side-scrolling like the G5 had. Side-scrolling is nice, but it makes the wheel button unusable. Now I just have to train myself to use that button again after years of avoiding it. The M65 was $65 and the G302 was $40. I would recommend either of them though, I've liked both a lot.

Why buy a BMW just to get back and forth to work? Sometimes splurging makes for a nicer overall experience. I like my Cherry MX keyboards, but I would get by perfectly well if I was back on rubber dome too.

Back