How Old Is The Internet

Are we counting from when Al Gore created it, or from when it really began?

So what are they using for the "start time?" The basis of the Internet is much older then that.

So what are they using for the "start time?" The basis of the Internet is much older then that.
It's based on when people started using TCP/IP based networks. Consider if you read the source and it says January 1, 1983 and match that with "Internet" from wikipedia.

Are we counting from when Al Gore created it, or from when it really began?

Context is everything.

Stop spreading your republican Fud. It failed you on tuesday, and it fails you now.

He said:
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

And you would be kind to note all the work he really did do for the emerging Net.

As quoted by the Nets two major architects:
By Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf
Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the
Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the
Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among
people in government and the university community. But as the two people
who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the
Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a
Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to
our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

But you can read their whole letter in the above link.

:cool: YES WE DID :cool:

i was born two months before the internet was invented. i hear future great grandkids laughing their ass off about that.

Context is everything.

Stop spreading your republican Fud. It failed you on tuesday, and it fails you now.

He said:

And you would be kind to note all the work he really did do for the emerging Net.

As quoted by the Nets two major architects:

But you can read their whole letter in the above link.

:cool: YES WE DID :cool:
19'd

He said he took the initiative in creating the internet. He lies. He moved legislation that allowed for expansion of internet use among the public.

If I said I took the initiative in creating the automobile just because I made a cheap car, I'd be a liar.

I suggest you stop spreading lunacy.

Hmm... looking at the background pic, it looks like the brightest/busiest node in africa is.... Nigeria!... I wonder what all that traffic could be!

19'd

He said he took the initiative in creating the internet. He lies. He moved legislation that allowed for expansion of internet use among the public.

If I said I took the initiative in creating the automobile just because I made a cheap car, I'd be a liar.

I suggest you stop spreading lunacy.

Somehow I trust the word of the Internet's first architects over your fud :)

but thank you for playing.

Somehow I trust the word of the Internet's first architects over your fud :)

but thank you for playing.
No problem. Just seeing history for how it was actually played out, not spun by politicians. ;)

Looking at the image, I'm reminded of the neural structure of some of the larger dinosaurs like the Brontosaur which, not only had a brain like every other creature(the cluster to the left side in the image), but also a sub-brain down near the hips(the cluster on the right side in the image) which controlled the bodily movement for such an immensely large creature such as walking. Along with an enhanced spinal cord as also seen in the image, the area that runs between the two clusters.

And if todays "representation" of how old the `net is, is akin to the neural cortex of a dinosaur, then we should have, roughly, a fully "self-aware" AI/Internet online within the next 50 years.

Because think about the rate of technological progression. We went from Mhz to Ghz computing within a decade, ie from amoeba to dinosaur, then we should go from Dino to "life form" within roughly that 50yr period of time.

Despite the fact that we have mimiking AI's already in use. I believe we will have truely functionally self-aware AI's running before I'm worm food.

I hope.

Back