How often does your WAN IP change?

jadams

2[H]4U
This is my first post here on this forum! Thanks for having me.

Currently I have comcast residential. I do not have a static IP perse, however my router gets its WAN ip through DHCP and thus far it hasn't changed for as long as I can remember. At least the past year.

I plan on switching to Verizon FiOS in the next month or so due to lack of bandwith speed and comcast imposing a 250gb bandwith limit per month. Is there anyone that has Verizon FiOS can you tell me if I can expect the same thing with the WAN IP?

thanks

mine never changes unless i unplug my modem for about 24 hours, Its only changed 2-3 times in the last few years. I have TWC

Mine never changes.. I have about 5 statics. Back in my dhcp days it changed about the time the power went out. Other than that I had the same IP for 2 years.

Mine never changes.. I have about 5 statics. Back in my dhcp days it changed about the time the power went out. Other than that I had the same IP for 2 years.

You had FiOS when you were using dhcp?

everytime I change the mac address on my router, If I don't change it myself my ISP will let me keep it up to 140 days last time I checked, still going strong with same IP. Doesn't really matter with dynamic dns. go to dyndns.org, sign up with a free account, setup your router, and never worry about it again. This free service will track you IP changes and apply them to a host name, for example they have many domains you can use, i use something to the extent of "*****.kicks-ass.net". Everytime my ip changes my router will update the dyndns.org site with my new ip and route it to the host name I setup. You can even apply this to any domain if you choose to buy one.

If you're worried about the IP changing get a static.
hmmm... not as easy as you think. Most ISPs(around here atleast) now require a business account, and along with that a shitty bandwidth cap and HORRID up/downstream speeds. Last time I checked with Cox, it was stupid expensive. FIOS was the same :(

I plan on switching to Verizon FiOS in the next month or so due to lack of bandwith speed and comcast imposing a 250gb bandwith limit per month. Is there anyone that has Verizon FiOS can you tell me if I can expect the same thing with the WAN IP?

thanks
My parents have comcast, IP hasn't changed in years. Have had the modem offline for weeks and it hasn't changed. As for Verizon FIOS, 5 minutes after my router would go offline(ethernet handoff from the ONT) my IP would change. It sucks, but you gotta take the good with the bad. Getting a static IP through FIOS will be impossible without a business account as they dont offer residential customers static IP addresses.

If you're worried about the IP changing get a static.

Doesn't really matter with dynamic dns.

I don't want to have to worry with either of these things. With comcast I virtually had a static IP address therefore I had no need for dyndns. In the end I may have to go one of these routes but would rather not if I didn't have to.

Anyone else have FiOS that can tell me how often/if their WAN IP changes?

As for Verizon FIOS, 5 minutes after my router would go offline(ethernet handoff from the ONT) my IP would change. It sucks, but you gotta take the good with the bad. Getting a static IP through FIOS will be impossible without a business account as they dont offer residential customers static IP addresses.

This is most helpful. Anyone else with a similar experience? Specifically in the Philadelphia/New Jersey/Deleware area?

Or someone with fios could just yank out their power cord real quick to test :D

hmmm... not as easy as you think. Most ISPs(around here atleast) now require a business account, and along with that a shitty bandwidth cap and HORRID up/downstream speeds. Last time I checked with Cox, it was stupid expensive. FIOS was the same :(.

I had a business account with FiOS three years ago at my house. It was a little extra per month, but not too much. Statics were cheap also.

I have a business account with Brighthouse at home now, it's an extra ~$10 a month but I get 5 statics.

I had a business account with FiOS three years ago at my house. It was a little extra per month, but not too much. Statics were cheap also.

I have a business account with Brighthouse at home now, it's an extra ~$10 a month but I get 5 statics.
Static provisioning with FIOS is $40 more per month for an identical plan without statics(residential), thats pretty substantial if you ask me:eek:. I looked into it last year and laughed when I saw that, and i believe you were the one I mentioned it to. You're lucky with brighthouse, those times are nearing the end though with the exhaustion of v4 addresses. I remember when comcast used to offer 5 static IP addresses for 10/mo... those days came and went though.

jadams, I would be surprised if you found different treatment/times for IP renewal.

so you think it will be similar to my comcast experience in the sense that my ip till "technically" be DHCP, but will rarely change?

so you think it will be similar to my comcast experience in the sense that my ip till "technically" be DHCP, but will rarely change?
its all relative, if your router losses connectivity to the ONT, or vice versa, expect the IP to change.

EX. if your router can stay up for a year solid(highly unlikely) then your IP should, in theory, not change unless vz makes some sort of change where it causes any CPE gear to reset.

If you have a linksys and do lots of torrenting,nntp,steaming, etc. expect your IP to change all the time due to the power cycles you will inevitability have to do. Again, its all relative. Putting a solid number on it, is impossible. Why the need for a static IP anyways?

its all relative, if your router losses connectivity to the ONT, or vice versa, expect the IP to change.

EX. if your router can stay up for a year solid(highly unlikely) then your IP should, in theory, not change unless vz makes some sort of change where it causes any CPE gear to reset.

If you have a linksys and do lots of torrenting,nntp,steaming, etc. expect your IP to change all the time due to the power cycles you will inevitability have to do. Again, its all relative. Putting a solid number on it, is impossible. Why the need for a static IP anyways?

Router power cycles shouldn't (and don't) have much to do with it.

i agree with kumquat.

I have power cycled my router with comcast many times and it hasn't changed my ip address. Unless you're saying it will be different with Verizon which is what I'm actually concerned about.

From what I'm reading it seems like there isnt going to be much of a difference.

Usually is like 2-3 Days, but all depends on the ISP, if you are worried about your IP changing and dont have options of a Static just use noip :)

Dude wha?? It has everything to do with it, sure.. some ISPs have an obscenely long lease time but some, IE. VZ, have a lease time in the minute range. Trust me when I tell you, when I would power cycle my 3745 by the time it would boot(maybe 5 minutes) I would have a new IP.

i agree with kumquat.

From what I'm reading it seems like there isnt going to be much of a difference.
Again, ymmv.... but Im speaking from experience here and its not just me.

Your probably not effected because you have an isp that is pretty generous about their dhcp leases. I have that too. I could power cycle my router and get the same lease.

Yes it has everything to do with it, but your not seeing the effects because of how your isp hands out addresses

Static provisioning with FIOS is $40 more per month for an identical plan without statics(residential), thats pretty substantial if you ask me:eek:. I looked into it last year and laughed when I saw that, and i believe you were the one I mentioned it to. You're lucky with brighthouse, those times are nearing the end though with the exhaustion of v4 addresses. I remember when comcast used to offer 5 static IP addresses for 10/mo... those days came and went though.

jadams, I would be surprised if you found different treatment/times for IP renewal.

It looks like FiOS has different pricing based on region. I know I wasn't paying an extra $40/month, I'm waay to cheap for that lol. I'm sure prices have gone up since I had it also.

My AT&T DSL's IP seems to change any time I power cycle the modem. I have DD-WRT on my router updating DNS-O-Matic, which updates DynDNS and the IP directly in my domain's DNS as well.

If you're worried about connectivity, use DDNS. The name is easier to remember, and as long as you have it set to update (like how mine is right in the router), it'll always be right, even for those occasional times when the IP does change.

changes all the time with power cycle or manual disconnect..

my isp slows your net after 24hours you must power cycle or softreset to carry on.

Cablevision seems to never change....It's dynamically-static :)

I usually have to spoof a MAC address to force the IP to change..then again.... how often do you really need a new one?

dyndns.org

So the better question would be what are you trying to do that it matters and it might be possible for people to either answer the original question, or provide alternatives for what you might be working on.

My IP would stay the same for months to a year. If I wanted to change it I would go into the router control panel and release the ip and wait about half an hour and I'd get a new IP. Simply restarting or powering off the router wouldn't change my IP unless my router remained off for more than 120 minutes.

Back