How not to hook up a CPU and heatsink!!!

I'd kinda like to know how the original hsf clip got jacked up in the first place. What emachine owner in their right mind even knows the case can be opened in the first place. Broken clip.... might as well buy another emachine.... they're cheap enough.

I BEEN using velcro and duct tape for years never had a problem. and have use Crisco cooking grease for thermal compound. if the heatsink fan fails i allways add a few chunks if beacon bits so the aroma warns me of any dangerus overheating.

You know, its kind of like when the dog does something just outrageously and impressively bad. You can't even hold it against them anymore because its just so brilliant in its own special way.

when i said the velcro on the ramsinks thing, i meant it like itd be more acceptable then velcro on the hsf, and anyway, fragtape isnt much better then velcro if you catch my drift :D

I used zip ties to hold a hsf onto a slot 1 p2.
couldn't mount a fullsize heatink on it due to the space available.
still working to this day, it's been running 24/7 for just about 3 years now.

There are certain things that should just make common sense... How the hell is heat supposed to transfer THROUGH Velcro? Moron...

Damn, I'm assuming that the CPU survived since the P4 has a thermal sensor to prevent overheating. I can't say much because I accidentally kicked the power cord for one of my older LC rig pumps (external 120V) out of the socket on the way out the door.

Yeah, liquid cooling doesn't work very well with out moving water. Don't worry, that same AXP is still a part of the horde to this day. :D

why do hear the Benny Hill theme music when I imagine people like that building PCs?

I'm just surprised that he didn't fry the processor. Velcro makes for a great insulator because it doesn't have direct connections across the 2 halves of the velcro and the velcro traps small pockets of air in between the heatsink and the processor.

Anarex said:
One time back in the day when I was hosting one of my LAN parties I think 1998 with me, harrison, brandon and tom (when ever you do something um how can I say it questionable we called it "you pulled a Tom" Now that I think of it I think that was mean. Anyway Tom was helping brandon put his new computer together. I was too lazy to help him/supervise (being back in the day I was the one that got them all into PC gaming and was still teaching my cult... you know how it is)

I come back from the kitchen opening up my Pepsi and I glance over and looked at them. Tom just got done showing brandon how to install the CPU and fan, then preceded to show him the wonders of overclocking so there they were in the Bios and I casually ask Tom so does the heat sink fan have to be plugged into the mobo? Ruining any cool/credibility that he had with brandon. They were going into windows and stuff for a good 3min. I was surprised it didn’t kill the CPU (AMD 400mhz).

History note Harrison had the only working 3D Video card ala Voodoo banshe (we played Tribes and it was glide only at the time) and I had sold my voodoo 2 12MB for a unknown company "Nvidia" TNT 16MB Everybody thought I was crazy :rolleyes: at the CPL Me and Harrison went to. Harrisons First BYOC con. And I won a voodoo 12MB in the HardOCP rafle. (sold that one too) I know If I hadnt sold the voodoo I could have SLIed them. Shortly after Voodoo went to shit. oh I have a ATI X800 now I hope Nvidia doesnt become a Voodoo they went down hill after the Geforce 3 64MB. But it seems there getting ther act togeather now. Dont meen to start a flame war just how I saw things when I was 17.
:( I sold the first voodoo before I went to the CON.

That was RANDOM! :rolleyes:

We recently serviced a failed computer system built by SystemMax (I believe they are a GLOBAL computers brand) but it's those "systems on QVC"

THe heatsink was held on [tightly, I will give them credit] not with clips, nor thermal paste, but with ZIP-ties.

Speaking of the technically challenged, I tore apart a dell laptop that was randomly shutting down to find that the plastic sticker for the CPU heatsink was still on there. This guy had been using this P3 for a year already! I expect stupidity from the average idiot, but dell should be better than that. Then again, maybe that's who they hire.

you can't be serious

attaching a heatsink to the processor with Velcro

that's just

SAD

ouch, oh well I cant criticize this guy, ive got a fan held together to a heatsink by masking tape :rolleyes:

shroud said:
ouch, oh well I cant criticize this guy, ive got a fan held together to a heatsink by masking tape :rolleyes:
At least your not using the masking tape as a thermal compound lol.......Right...

Now I see how Intel sells so many CPU's - the users need a LOT of replacements!

No warranty for this dimwit

Bah! Velcro gives a good thermal transfer, well almost a good one ;)

Back in the days a friend of mine bought part fore a new comp, Asus mb, gfx and the (then) brand new (and very expensive) Intel PIII 800. A few of his friends, me included, told him to wait some time for the cpu to drop in price or atleast get the cheaper Celeron. But this guy, having more money than whits (which could explane his actions later on....), bought the PIII 800 anyway. Well, ok good for you I tought. I asked him if he whanted help building it, but he said he'd found a magazine article showing how to build a comp and that he would be fine with that. We agreed that should he come across any problems he'd give me a call.
Well a couple of days later that call came throught, he was a bit desperate, telling me there had to be someting wrong with the comp as he couldn't install win98 without getting a BSOD. After some initial errorsearching I decided it had to be a cpu malfuntion of some sort, I figured he hadn't applied enough thermal paste on the cpu. As I reached down to remove the heatsink I noticed the retaining clip wasn't attached. - Why haven't you attached the clip, I asked my friend. - Oh... I couldn't get it on to the socket, was the answer. - I was affraid to scrape the motherboard, but don't worry it will stay on, I've attached it with some masking tape (*the paper kind that you can peel of easely*, my not), he reassured me. What a dumass, I thought. When I lifted the heatsink there was two lenghts of tape, end stuck to end, making it into a roll, attached underneath the heatsink. No wonder the comp BSOD'd...

Another incident happen at a LAN-party, when another friend of mine and his brother decided to exchange the heatsink for an improved model. ...and no clips involved this time either... they figured that if they'd place two brewskies on top(!) of the heatsink, it wouldn't have to be attached. - I'm just going to start it to see if the temps are lower with this one, he said. See pic below
DSCF0002.JPG

Well, this processor is now my keychain :D

Sorry about the long post.

If no one believes this i have the heatsink with the velcro still attached hanging on my wall in my office.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
velcro on ramsinks, thats semi acceptable, velcro on a cpu heatsink. NO WAY! that thing musta been throtting to the max!

You are on fucking crack. I could go on and on about how this would never work but...

A) you are either joking

- or -

B) you wouldn't understand it anways.

Which is it? :rolleyes:

I have a hard time believing this..... To use velcro would be like having no heatsink at all.... You wouldn't have 'problems' with your computer, the damn thing would have fried.

anyone is in the new orleans area and wants to see the heatsink with the velcro on it i have it hanging on my wall

man, i so live in baton rouge, gimme directions! thats awesome!

This has got to be the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. HAHAHAA lol haha WTF.

Reaffirms my faith in human stupidity.

I can vaguely understand using it in some bizzarre "hold down strap" config, but this is...Bind Moggleing :D

WOW.

Often a glitchy machine (namely factory sealed Cisco routers) or the like would make its way to me and I'd promptly remove the tiny burnt sticker from between the processor and mount... I've even seen the most absurd urban legend cooling tricks in action and removed pennies from the mix... however, if I ever had to deal with this I think I would quit and go lie down.

Heh...that's pretty dense...velcro

I know a guy who tried booting up and cooling the CPU with his fingers...and any body parts he could get on the core (which had a bit of ratshack thermal paste). It was more of an experiment really as he knew what he was doing, but it was funny as hell cuz he had to keep switching fingers every few seconds...and he had a water cup next to him to cool off...the water would steam off his fingers. When he felt like quitting he just put a small ramsink on the CPU, and he had a giant fan ready. It was reasonable to assume that it'd be good like that for a minute or two. It turned out fine... ---> Old Tbird 1Ghz AXIA

This thread is making me rofl

HAHAHA

The only funny story I have is someone I know who had a williamette P4 ran it without a heatsink at all and used a big box fan (like for your livingroom) right on the side of the case. HAHAHA. Lets just say it didnt work out so well.

What stupid can people be? honestly

BellaCroix said:
I was just about to say the same thing. I wonder if I should rethink the Bubbalicious I used to mount mine.
Eh, ducttape works better! :p Even Elmers school glue does the trick. Using glue to mount it gives it like 24 and a half more MHz, so it's win-win! :)

lesman said:
Eh, ducttape works better! :p Even Elmers school glue does the trick. Using glue to mount it gives it like 24 and a half more MHz, so it's win-win! :)
Velcro gives it 50mhz, it's detachable.

Borgschulze said:
Velcro gives it 50mhz, it's detachable.
....oh yeah? Have you ever tried tying it down with a shoelace or string of some sort? You get at least 100-150mhz jump, easy...preferably fishing line-people have been known to OC at least 500-1020mhz higher using fishing line...why don't you google it? :p ;) :D

Back