How not to hook up a CPU and heatsink!!!

|NOLAFF|-JD

Weaksauce
Well a buddy of mine works at a local computer wholesaler, and for the most part they build PCs and sell them to businesses, and also do a fair amount of computer repairs. On occasion they also do a good amount of business with the enthusiast since you can just walk in and purchase computer parts at wholesale prices. Well one of their customers did just that, but his computer wasn't working properly. Once my buddy got a hold of it to open it up and trouble shoot any possible hardware failures he found this:
velcrocpu1.jpg

For those who can not tell what that is in the picture it is a CPU heat sink fan, some Velcro, and then the actual CPU. Velcro?!?! WTF! I wish I knew who the person was who built this computer so I can take his computer to child services and report his abuse crimes. Here are some more photos of this insane method of CPU heat sink mounting:
velcrocpu2.jpg

Close up photo showing the CPU then Velcro, and then the heat sink. I wonder if this guy bothered to read anything resembling an instruction manual. If he did he would probably know that heat sink compound is not another name for VELCRO!
velcrocpu3.jpg

Worst part about this crime against CPU cooling is that the guy who did this had a friend of his help him build the PC. LOL, I wonder how the friends PC performs? Even after all of that the CPU did make it out of this whole thing alive and working just fine, but here is another picture of the Velcro glue that was cooked/baked onto the CPU:
velcrocpu4.jpg

LOL in this day in age, everyone builds computers! tell him to stick to DIY projects around the house via Bob Villa! ;)

This post should be in the Extreme Cooling section. HEH HEH.

This will go down in the computer blunders lore... like the story about the snake in the PSU and the CDROM as a drink holder.

whaaaa vel whoooo why velcro? wtf was he thinking, seriously? I would like to meet this person. Was the rest of the computer built ok?

I had to come get yet another look!! I am laughing so damn hard at work!! "anything is possible" :p

The rest of the computer was a emachine,they put the velcro on because the tension clip on the motherboard broke in 3 places

Yeah, this shit happens more often then you think. My roommate's computer was messed up and I took off the heatsink and the person who built it used an entire tube of arctic silver to mount it (no IHS, its an AXP). The person also put in one of those cheap evercool watercooling systems but also had 3 vantec tornadoes in there just blowing air over the motherboard. It made me laugh, I promptly unplugged them because I wasnt about to sleep with that POS in the room.

i halfway understand ignorant users forgetting to remove the protective plastic coating on the base of aftermarket heatsinks, but this....................i mean they had to put that on deliberately!

velcro on ramsinks, thats semi acceptable, velcro on a cpu heatsink. NO WAY! that thing musta been throtting to the max!

I think the velcro is supposed to act as an intermediate heatsink since it has so much surface area. ;)

Not really sure what the specs on the cpu are, but I do know it was an Intel chip. Ask Mo0ch what the specs are as he was the one who opened the case to find velcro holding the heatsink fan to the cpu.

KrakenGuy said:
Wait... So your not supposed to use Velcro??? Ummmm...

I was just about to say the same thing. I wonder if I should rethink the Bubbalicious I used to mount mine.

they make people get a licence for a dog or a car, but they can have kids without even an IQ test for ONE of the parents!

Beautiful. I would never have even thought of using velcro. Maybe they didn't have any super glue handy? I could see that happening before velcro.

One time back in the day when I was hosting one of my LAN parties I think 1998 with me, harrison, brandon and tom (when ever you do something um how can I say it questionable we called it "you pulled a Tom" Now that I think of it I think that was mean. Anyway Tom was helping brandon put his new computer together. I was too lazy to help him/supervise (being back in the day I was the one that got them all into PC gaming and was still teaching my cult... you know how it is)

I come back from the kitchen opening up my Pepsi and I glance over and looked at them. Tom just got done showing brandon how to install the CPU and fan, then preceded to show him the wonders of overclocking so there they were in the Bios and I casually ask Tom so does the heat sink fan have to be plugged into the mobo? Ruining any cool/credibility that he had with brandon. They were going into windows and stuff for a good 3min. I was surprised it didn’t kill the CPU (AMD 400mhz).

History note Harrison had the only working 3D Video card ala Voodoo banshe (we played Tribes and it was glide only at the time) and I had sold my voodoo 2 12MB for a unknown company "Nvidia" TNT 16MB Everybody thought I was crazy :rolleyes: at the CPL Me and Harrison went to. Harrisons First BYOC con. And I won a voodoo 12MB in the HardOCP rafle. (sold that one too) I know If I hadnt sold the voodoo I could have SLIed them. Shortly after Voodoo went to shit. oh I have a ATI X800 now I hope Nvidia doesnt become a Voodoo they went down hill after the Geforce 3 64MB. But it seems there getting ther act togeather now. Dont meen to start a flame war just how I saw things when I was 17.
:( I sold the first voodoo before I went to the CON.

So I guess the fuckwit couldn't figure out how to clamp the heatsink to the cpu so thought of his own, ingenius, method of holding the two together.

I bet he felt pretty damn smug about how clever he was as he was cutting up the velcro in order to place on the cpu and heatisnk.
"God, I'm good, I even have sticky velcro!", he must've thought proudly to himself.

I wish I had been there. Been there when it all fell apart and he cried like a little baby.

hahah, that is awesome!
never would have thought of using velcro to attach a heatsink... maybe thats a good thing.

I can't believe that someone actually did that

Anarex said:
One time back in the day when I was hosting one of my LAN parties I think 1998 with me, harrison, brandon and tom (when ever you do something um how can I say it questionable we called it "you pulled a Tom" Now that I think of it I think that was mean. Anyway Tom was helping brandon put his new computer together. I was too lazy to help him/supervise (being back in the day I was the one that got them all into PC gaming and was still teaching my cult... you know how it is)

I come back from the kitchen opening up my Pepsi and I glance over and looked at them. Tom just got done showing brandon how to install the CPU and fan, then preceded to show him the wonders of overclocking so there they were in the Bios and I casually ask Tom so does the heat sink fan have to be plugged into the mobo? Ruining any cool/credibility that he had with brandon. They were going into windows and stuff for a good 3min. I was surprised it didn’t kill the CPU (AMD 400mhz).

History note Harrison had the only working 3D Video card ala Voodoo banshe (we played Tribes and it was glide only at the time) and I had sold my voodoo 2 12MB for a unknown company "Nvidia" TNT 16MB Everybody thought I was crazy :rolleyes: at the CPL Me and Harrison went to. Harrisons First BYOC con. And I won a voodoo 12MB in the HardOCP rafle. (sold that one too) I know If I hadnt sold the voodoo I could have SLIed them. Shortly after Voodoo went to shit. oh I have a ATI X800 now I hope Nvidia doesnt become a Voodoo they went down hill after the Geforce 3 64MB. But it seems there getting ther act togeather now. Dont meen to start a flame war just how I saw things when I was 17.
:( I sold the first voodoo before I went to the CON.

Read the forum rules, then fix your sig. ;)

The comptuer was worked on in the wierd part of town before i got it (I DID NOT DO THAT) just to clairfy i think i was a 1.8 or something along the lines of that they used velcro because the rentention* clip on the motherboard was broken on 3 sides and they couldnt clamp it donwn anymore and if anyone is in the new orleans area and wants to see the heatsink with the velcro on it i have it hanging on my wall.

How did the guy come up with velcro? I wouldn't have been so suprised if it was duct tape... You can use that stuff ANYWHERE heh

BellaCroix said:
I was just about to say the same thing. I wonder if I should rethink the Bubbalicious I used to mount mine.
Bubbalicious doesn't work unless it's grape flavor, you get very cool temps with that.

Hey, I had a co-worker who acted like he was the sh*t all the time, and he built a new computer. The next day he came to work and said that the CPU just died and he had to get another. So he called my friend that night and said "I think I got a batch of bad CPU's, because this one died too.". He then brings the PC over to my buddys house and opens the case. There is no heatsink on the CPU. When asked where the heatsink was, he said he thought it was just an option, and not needed, and just threw them away. He swore up and down he built PC's before.

I can't belive Fry's let him take TWO burnt out CPU's back.

Grimmda said:
How did the guy come up with velcro? I wouldn't have been so suprised if it was duct tape... You can use that stuff ANYWHERE heh

i've used zipties to hold 2 sinks onto a peltier when i was playing arround with air/water chilling. (actually works well, but kids, don't get any ideas)

Back